What's new

Interesting reading from Adrian Kinderis

snoopy

Top Contributor
I've disclosed my involvement. What people pay me is surely my business? "Laurie Patton is a member of auDA and the former CEO / Executive Director of Internet Australia. He is currently advising Afilias Australia, the company that took over the management of the .au registry for auDA from 1 July 2018. However, the views expressed here are his own and have not been endorsed by Afilias."

Another dodge!

What is your role with Afilias?
How much are you being paid by Afilias?

snoopy

Top Contributor
If I had any more room in my sig I'd put those questions in it Laurie. Would save me a lot of time rather than asked you the same thing over and over again.

Perhaps post up 23 paragraphs from your blog and run off again like you did at itwire today?

Laurie Patton

What is your real name "Snoopy"? How many domain names do you own? How many have you sold over the past five years? How much did you price-gouge out of each of the people who actually needed domain names you acquired for no other purposee than rent-seeking?

snoopy

Top Contributor
What is your real name "Snoopy"? How many domain names do you own? How many have you sold over the past five years? How much did you price-gouge out of each of the people who actually needed domain names you acquired for no other purposee than rent-seeking?

Umm we had this discussion in this very thread Laurie!

https://www.dntrade.com.au/threads/interesting-reading-from-adrian-kinderis.11989/page-2#post-93776

Why are you avoid the questions yet again, its now been going on since July 4th.

What is your role with Afilias?
How much are you being paid by Afilias?

Laurie Patton

laurie you and i talked about this on monday night at the end of the CMWG meeting and agreed we both feel the same about people hiding behind "anonymous" but seriously if you don't know snoopy !!! where have you been?

i even mentioned to you i am known as "findtim" , i think everyone knows my email address and phone number, most likely where i live !
i would hope that anyone, not just you, would do some research and find out who the posters are ( if they want to be identified) and their historical view....... before making comments based on assumptions, thats what i do, snoopy, findtim, jimboot, domainnames...... and the list goes on are all open to people knowing who we are , it isn't that difficult to track most but frankly some feel the need to stay anonymous as they honestly fear kickback if they make comments. the fear is not my words its people who speak to me.

i like you use your own name, i don't as i just like "findtim" and its been one of my email addresses since 1997, but on joining dntrade i made it quite clear who i was, never hiding.

so this post isn't just about you laurie, it is i feel good advice for anyone on the forum, dntrade has always been a solid membership supportive base and we have had our trolls but we have removed them over the years, we also respect peoples right to be anonymous if they chose because many times somethings just NEED to be said honestly without kickback........... god knows i have been the brunt of many of those !

tim

note: i have nothing to do with dnt and its policies, nor do i have any admin login rights to dnt.

The thing is, "everyone" who is a regular on this and other domain-related sites might know who people are, but other joining in for the first time won't know. Nor will they know, therefore, what interests, vested or otherwise, people have when they make their comments. Especially when those comments are less than friendly!

snoopy

Top Contributor
What people get paid is surely their business? And, no, you haven't answered all my questions.

Laurie here is what you asked 2 weeks ago,

https://www.dntrade.com.au/threads/interesting-reading-from-adrian-kinderis.11989/page-2#post-93776

I answered you. Now 2 weeks later you are asking me my name again! That's funny!

The problem is you constantly think up new questions to ask and you dodge all questions about yourself. I think you are a paid Afilias promoter tasked with making positive statements about auDA management online to solidify Afilias's $50million contract with auDA. I think that is your role.

Laurie Patton

I think this thread has probably gone about as far as it ever usefully will Paul. It's not about whether or not I know who you are, it's that anyone else reading the thread who isn't a domain names 'insider' (and possibly some who are) won't know who you are or why you are so vociferous. Same goes for the others who don't use their real names. For my part, I have long objected to anonymous posting (http://theluckygeneral.biz/2018/06/23/noanonymoussledging-time-to-clean-up-the-internet/). Who pays me (various organisations) and how much I charge (that's my business, but it depends on the assignment) has nothing to do wth the substantive issues we are dealing with. The Government has determined that auDA needs reform. That process is underway (http://theluckygeneral.biz/2018/07/03/auda-latest-all-quiet-on-the-western-front-for-now-at-least/). If the process fails the Government will presumably intervene in some form to ensure that a workable outcome is reached. I'm genuine when I keep asking people what they think is actually wrong with the process of allocating domain names, but all I get is a regurgitation of the complaints about governance, which for the umpteenth time are being dealt with!

joshrowe

Top Contributor
What's wrong?
1. Poor consultation re: Direct Registration
2. Poor Communication and Transparency
3. Poor Governance
https://grumpier.com.au/
[removed by auDA] Resolution 1 – Vote of no confidence in Cameron Boardman (CEO)
Resolution 2 – Removal of Chris Leptos as a Director
Resolution 3 – Removal of Sandra Hook as a Director
Resolution 4 – Removal of Suzanne Ewart as a Director

Laurie Patton

Yes, we get all that Josh. But why keep on about it when the solution is in sight?
1. Direct registration has been shunted off with no decision to be made until the second half of next year according auDA chair Chris Leptos. And, in any case as you know, the proposal came from a previous board.
2/3. The Government is demanding reform. This will see a new Constitution and potentially a different group of directors in the future. So, surely we should just all calm down and let the process happen?

Laurie Patton

Preaches the paid troll.

Do you get paid by the hour, post or word?
Another 'keyboard coward'. And you clearly have no idea what a troll is pal. FYI, frequent posting is specifically defined as not trolling, as is providing information based on facts.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
"At times, the word can be abused to refer to anyone with controversial opinions they disagree with. Such usage goes against the ordinary meaning of troll in multiple ways. "

joshrowe

Top Contributor
Yes, we get all that Josh. But why keep on about it when the solution is in sight?
1. Direct registration has been shunted off with no decision to be made until the second half of next year according auDA chair Chris Leptos. And, in any case as you know, the proposal came from a previous board.
2/3. The Government is demanding reform. This will see a new Constitution and potentially a different group of directors in the future. So, surely we should just all calm down and let the process happen?

I had optimistically hoped that the auDA Consultation Model Working Group (CMWG) would provide a mechanism for multi-stakeholder consultation in line with their Terms of Reference:

1. To develop a model of consultation with all auDA members and the wider Australian Internet community, to be used specifically in meeting the Government’s Recommendations
2. To advise on the method to measure the effectiveness of the consultation model, and potential segmentation of the membership and stakeholder base to ensure maximum engagement, and;
3. To advise on other appropriate strategies and initiatives to improve member engagement, participation and interest in auDA and its activities

The good thing about the CMWG (even though it's not within the original Terms of reference) was that the actual public forum was well facilitated and participation was constructive by the small number of people who attended.

There are issues with the CMWG:
- Poor engagement: providing 6 days notice for a public forum gives the appearance that auDA does not really care about multi-stakeholder, bottom up engagement.
- Poor governance: the WG chair and secretariat are not independent from auDA (Cameron Boardman & Anil Lambert). Multi-stakeholder for internet governance works best when the chair & secretariat are independent of the organisation which is seeking input.
- Poor communication: there appears to be no minutes or other documents published that the broader community (like me) can provide constructive feedback on
- Poor management: the Terms of Reference appear to have been ignored

The current auDA board and executive have not demonstrated behaviours which align to the multi-stakeholder model of Internet governance.

Two key questions for auDA:

1. How many of the Australian Government's 29 recommended changes will have multi-stakeholder input (using the agreed Consultation Model Working Group mechanism for consultation)?

2. Is the apparent membership stacking by supply side employees a mechanism to bypass multi-stakeholder input prior to passing constitutional change at the 2018 AGM?

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
@Laurie Patton - Just sayin' I admire your perseverance. I guess auDA/Afilias must be worried. Still, your job could be worse...

Last edited:

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Another 'keyboard coward'. And you clearly have no idea what a troll is pal. FYI, frequent posting is specifically defined as not trolling, as is providing information based on facts.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
"At times, the word can be abused to refer to anyone with controversial opinions they disagree with. Such usage goes against the ordinary meaning of troll in multiple ways. "

Nobody mentioned frequent posting.

This is what wiki says from that link;

"In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain."

Yep that's you.

Laurie Patton

Nobody mentioned frequent posting.

This is what wiki says from that link;

"In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain."

Yep that's you.
Hardly. Sounds more like you to me!

snoopy

Top Contributor

Regarding direct registration, they've just put it on hold to try and increase the SMG and AGM votes. They are planning on going full steam ahead with it after that. Why? More cash for auDA.

Re the different directors, the problem is the "inner circle", they'll be angling to be ones to keep their jobs. You can see now what lengths they will go to keep their jobs.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member