What's new

Draft recommendations from the 2015 Names Policy Panel

findtim

Top Contributor
But from memory this was thought best to come from registrars
sure, AFTER the decision has been made ! you're missing the point, informing me you just killed my dog doesn't make sense, tell me " i think i want to kill your dog " ummm NO
Ask a registrant can they have name.au or name.com.au and see what they prefer
LOL, yes, so lets go ask them david, but lets ask all of them and give them real facts that it will increase their fees by 100% , ohhh but we don't know that do we, as that will be decided "later" , and gee, i wonder who will decide that ? would you like a coffee?, how much is it? i'll tell you that later !
nobody wants to allow individuals to register in .com.au
i've never mentioned that, i have only even spoken for business names
some business names however are just the persons name like the photographer i mentioned.
It's disgraceful that there is little support for this. Or ideas on how to deal with this issue.
disgraceful ! read the threads, there is support for this, just not in the way its presented, ideas: read the threads, their are HEAPS of ideas.
On implementation, as I've said ad nauseum, this will be discussed AFTER this consultation round is completed and IF the idea of second level registrations are recommended to the board.
"on implementation" ! WTF , how does that go with an "IF" in your sentence ? you make it sound like its a done deal.
I'm not really interested in appealing to the DNT community. Your attacks and others have shown the total lack of interest in anyone other than yourselves. You're not the only ones out there.
my attacks ? read the thread, all i have ever spoken about is my client base and the affect it will have on them, NOBODY could say that my interests are for other domain name owners.
in my portfolio there is only ONE domain i care about and i own the .net.au as well , i don't give a sh1t about the other domains i own if push came to shove, but i have 400+ clients names i want to look after so if anyone is caring about other peoples interests it ME.
I'm not really interested in appealing to the DNT community
obvious
You're not the only ones out there.
LOL, thanks to the decision auda has made, we are ! as in ..........we are the only ones out there that KNOW
time to reload your gun because you just keep shooting yourself in the foot
ahhhh, look at that, its friday funny day again.
tim

Rhythm

Top Contributor
I am dealing with real businesses, real families, real investors ( using their super fund bank loans etc) who have built a business around their .com.au branding.

I don't see how that is any different to entities building businesses around SEO and ranking 1st.
Then cry foul when Google updates their algorithms.

And nobody is saying they can't keep their .com.au branding.
If their .com.au branding is so strong then they should be able to survive the intro of .au

findtim

Top Contributor
If their .com.au branding is so strong then they should be able to survive the intro of .au
ohh come on, you can't be that naive , if there is a dubbodentist.com.au and you have had it for 15years you don't want anyone getting the dubbodentist.au do you !

i have a client that is in a town and his brother does the same job, and they don't get along " mick the plumber" and "dick the plumber" , TRUE STORY, fake town, mick owns dubboooooooplumber.com.au i can tell you he doesn't want dick to own the .au , so whats mick to do ? he HAS TO register the .au , MONEY GRAB, increase his costs for absolutely no worthwhile reason.
tim

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
Maybe you haven't read the relevant parts of the Spam Act 2003. AuDA would not come under the exemptions. It would be arguable as to the content whether it was allowed.
AuDA seem to think it's allowed, David...they email the following to all new registrants.

There is no excuse for not informing and inviting comments from all au registrants about this potential policy change.

"Subject: Welcome to the .au domain space

Hello,
You are receiving this email because you are listed as the registrant contact for a new .au domain name: (domainname).com.au
My name is Chris Disspain and I am the CEO of auDA, the manager of the Domain Name System in Australia. I am writing to share some of the key elements of the .au domain space that you, as a new domain name registrant, should be aware of.

Contact Details
One of the responsibilities you have as a domain name registrant is to ensure that the contact information in your domain name record is kept up to date. To check your information, you can do a WHOIS search on your domain name via http://whois.ausregistry.com.au/. If you need to make changes to the information then you should contact your registrar.

auDA Published Policies
auDA has developed, and regularly reviews, the policy framework that governs all elements of the domain name industry in Australia. auDA's policies cover issues such as domain name eligibility, the obligations of .au registrars and resellers, domain name password recovery and domain name transfers. A full list of auDA's current policies is available at http://www.auda.org.au/policies/current-policies/.

Complaints and Disputes
auDA also maintains a formal framework for the management of complaints in .au, including complaints about individual .au domain names and complaints regarding the conduct of a registrar or reseller. In addition, the .au Dispute Resolution Policy (auDRP) outlines the process for the resolution of disputes between a .au registrant and a party with competing rights in the domain name. More information about lodging a complaint is available at http://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-services/submit-a-complaint/.

Consumer Alerts
auDA periodically publishes Consumer Alerts and other relevant information about developments in .au. If you want to ensure that you are kept up to date, you can subscribe to our announcements list http://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-services/auda-announcements-list/.

I hope this information is of use to you. To learn more about auDA you might also like to visit our blog http://www.auda.org.au/blog/ and our YouTube channel www.youtube.com/audachannel.

Please do not reply to this email by using the reply button. If you wish to contact auDA, please email info@auda.org.au.

Regards,

Chris Disspain
Chief Executive Officer
.au Domain Administration Ltd
ACN 079 009 340
www.auda.org.au"

Last edited:

Rhythm

Top Contributor
^ That isn't spam.

Sending purely factual information is acceptable, provided the messages contain the required identifying information. However, this does not mean you have the recipients’ consent to send future commercial messages, or to add them to a mailing list.

Hence why:

Consumer Alerts
auDA periodically publishes Consumer Alerts and other relevant information about developments in .au. If you want to ensure that you are kept up to date, you can subscribe to our announcements list http://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-services/auda-announcements-list/.

Last edited:

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
^ That isn't spam.
:

I never said it was.
My point is that AuDA can and do send information to registrants via email. As this issue is not commercial in nature (it relates to a potential amendment to current policy) any email would not be classed as spam.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
lets think logically, umm you need a domain to send an email, auda is in charge of domains, surely the governing body of australian domains would be allowed to do what it likes, we aren't talking "joes plumbing" here , this strict reading of the spam act is just a cop out IMO.
auda would never abuse this "email power" , in fact as we have seen they don't do anything at all.

and also, i get emails from CERT about my domains and i never signed up for that , so if the government can do it why can't auda ?

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
No comment on CERT.

Because.
thats hardly a valid response, it has nothing to do with auda, those are general businesses and YES they should be acted on, auda is a totally different subject.
for the benefit of others " if you click the link you just wasted your time "
tim

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Re contacting all registrants, take up this issue with auDA instead of bleating on about it.

On individuals, it's nice to see that you all think you're superior registrants to individuals. I'm trying to find even one person that has expressed a concern that the level of individuals registering .au domains is so low. Or that some individuals get around the rules by registering an ABN. Again, you could support the idea of allowing second level registrations to only individuals. But imagine the squealing from the bleaters if this would happen.

And yes, there are costs. But how many businesses, say over a period of 5 years wouldn't spend a large amount at least of this money anyway, for example redoing stationery. I can see one significant cost for business - if they drop the, for example .com.au domain to use the .au domain. And over time most would drop their .com.au domains for .au. Yes, there is a real cost in this.

As for the fear-mongering about how the transition would work, well, there is no plan, not amongst the Panel members, on the process for opening up second level registrations. The only issue for certain is that this would be discussed AFTER it was decided to be implemented. If it is.

Still, it is expecting a bit too much for a rational discussion here.

findtim

Top Contributor
david i'm starting to wonder if you really have any grip on what the costs of doing bricks and mortar business are ? we do not need more expenses
you keep going back to " individuals " , as i have explained before individuals have domain names, but allow "individuals" to come and register " weddings.au" , " butcher.au" is not catering to anyone except the profit hungry .

and in all your posts you never actually answer a straight question
But how many businesses, say over a period of 5 years wouldn't spend a large amount at least of this money anyway,
YES, but WHY the F does it need to go to something absolutely useless, .au is "an invention for revenue"

The only issue for certain is that this would be discussed AFTER it was decided to be implemented. If it is.
yep, get NOBODY to do the survey, make it seem like its the way to go, implement, and then decide to charge whatever you bloody well like........ sounds like a scam to me.

Still, it is expecting a bit too much for a rational discussion here.
thats because you are not listening, we speak for us and we speak for our clients " individuals " and i can tell you we are not going away , " apple or orange" ......... " i want a banana" ......" you CAN'T have a banana, APPLE OR ORANGE " absolutely stupid.

but please keep posting, i love reading your rhetoric , it inspires me like you would not believe as i presently have time on my hands to spread the word of the BS that is happening and you just give me so much good info you almost write my emails for me
:)

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
just for a laugh, watch this and swap the word nazi for auda and you'll have a laugh. 1.5mins only
through to min 32.00
tim

DomainNames

Top Contributor
UggBoots.Au.... I spoke to the owners of UggBoots.com.au on saturday at their shop.

He knew nothing about the AUDA proposed .Au extension but was very distressed to hear someone else may be able to register UggBoots.au or he may have to bid at auction for the need for him to defense register it or whatever else is proposed..

The Auda the survey is too unclear and makes no sense to people like this. The wording does not say what the ricks may be of .Au to existing .com.au registrants, what costs may be involved, how it may affect their onling branding or online businesses/ confusion, what costs it may incr on them for IP and Domain name disputes etc etc

Their factory and shop business of selling ugg boots started in 1933.

How will the new Auda proposed .Au extension of allowing UggBoots.au affect the owner of UggBoots.com.au ?

Erwin

Top Contributor
I know it's all just hypothetical ATM but, I hope they won't introduce a premium generic one word domain acquisition fee, with ongoing premium renewal fees on .au

snoopy

Top Contributor
I can see one significant cost for business - if they drop the, for example .com.au domain to use the .au domain. And over time most would drop their .com.au domains for .au. Yes, there is a real cost in this.

Why would "most" businesses do this? Is there any precedent for this in other parts of the world?

I can understand some new businesses choosing .au (the minority of them), but I do not think many would take the risk of switching their web address just to lose the .com part. For those who already own a .com.au and buy a .au, it will be for defensive purposes mostly in my view.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
ohh come on, you can't be that naive , if there is a dubbodentist.com.au and you have had it for 15years you don't want anyone getting the dubbodentist.au do you !

tim
One can already dubbodentists.com.au, dentistsindubbo.com.au and a myriad of other options. There goes that argument.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
YES, but WHY the F does it need to go to something absolutely useless, .au is "an invention for revenue"

yep, get NOBODY to do the survey, make it seem like its the way to go, implement, and then decide to charge whatever you bloody well like........ sounds like a scam to me.

thats because you are not listening, we speak for us and we speak for our clients " individuals " and i can tell you we are not going away , " apple or orange" ......... " i want a banana" ......" you CAN'T have a banana, APPLE OR ORANGE " absolutely stupid.

but please keep posting, i love reading your rhetoric , it inspires me like you would not believe as i presently have time on my hands to spread the word of the BS that is happening and you just give me so much good info you almost write my emails for me
:)

tim
How is it an invention for revenue? Of course, it could be implemented in such a way. But very few registrars make much money out of registrations. They make it out of selling other services. Do you really understand your business?

I've already said please get your clients to participate in the consultation. Let them decide instead of your idiotic rhetoric.

And you don't speak for individuals. You can't. They don't register .au domains. They don't like .id.au and they're not allowed in any other. I'm probably the only person on the Panel that has no vested interest to support except registrants. And it's not only existing registrants. There are plenty of others out there who would be interested in getting a domain eventually. Don't forget to ask them.

Oh, and let's not forget the nationwide charity I use to work for. The head of PR when I worked there refused to use a .au domain because a gTLD domain is shorter. How many others are there like this. Of course they have several .au domains, but they just redirect. I'm not sure you understand this business you claim to.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member