What's new

Draft recommendations from the 2015 Names Policy Panel

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Australian charities are supposed to use .org.au

http://www.auda.org.au/policies/2012-04/
SCHEDULE F
ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR ORG.AU
The org.au 2LD is for non-commercial organisations.
The following rules are to be read in conjunction with the Eligibility and Allocation Rules for All Open 2LDs, contained in Schedule A of this document.
1. To be eligible in the org.au 2LD, registrants must be non-commercial organisations as follows:
a) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or
b) a political party registered with the Australian Electoral Commission; or
c) a trade union or other organisation registered under the Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009; or
d) a sporting or special interest club operating in Australia; or
e) a charity operating in Australia, as defined in the registrant’s constitution or other documents of incorporation; or

f) a non-profit organisation operating in Australia, as defined in the registrant’s constitution or other documents of incorporation.
2. Domain names in the org.au 2LD must be:
a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name; or
b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant, in accordance with the categories of “close and substantial connection” set out in the Guidelines on the Interpretation of Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs.

findtim

Top Contributor

this is a good one: http://timconnell.com.au/
or try:
http://bobkatter.com.au/ , polly
http://www.nickxenophon.com.au/ , polly
http://www.johnmadigan.com.au/ , polly
http://taritabotsman.com.au/ , singer, ( i could list 1000 of them )
http://jennyjohnston.com.au/ , healer
http://louisemyers.com.au/ , photographer ( i could list 1000 of them )
http://davidfuller.com.au/ , videographer
http://www.jacquipatterson.com.au/ , celebrant ( i could list 1000 of them )
shall i go on and on ????

honorable mention : ashleymadison.com.au , but not currently being used , could become a PD , "pending delete" which actually means " bloody delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete for gods sake" LOL

tim

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
How is it an invention for revenue? Of course, it could be implemented in such a way. But very few registrars make much money out of registrations. They make it out of selling other services. Do you really understand your business?
Follow the money... who stands to make the most out of this?

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Any individual with an ABN can can register a .com.au or even a .net.au if so desired.

May be you should read up on the rules Davo.
So you're happy to have people flouting the rules are you? And given that plenty of individuals, that is the vast majority, don't have an ABN, they're excluded. The intention of .com.au is for businesses. Maybe you should read up on the rules.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Follow the money... who stands to make the most out of this?
Where is the money? The money is only there if there are more registrations. Most registrants won't bother with both .com.au and .au in the medium term. Maybe in the short term they will. But then, if you participate in the process rules could be implemented where, for example, the .au name is free for x years. God, this is like spoon-feeding children.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Australian charities are supposed to use .org.au

http://www.auda.org.au/policies/2012-04/
SCHEDULE F
ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR ORG.AU
The org.au 2LD is for non-commercial organisations.
The following rules are to be read in conjunction with the Eligibility and Allocation Rules for All Open 2LDs, contained in Schedule A of this document.
1. To be eligible in the org.au 2LD, registrants must be non-commercial organisations as follows:
a) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or
b) a political party registered with the Australian Electoral Commission; or
c) a trade union or other organisation registered under the Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009; or
d) a sporting or special interest club operating in Australia; or
e) a charity operating in Australia, as defined in the registrant’s constitution or other documents of incorporation; or

f) a non-profit organisation operating in Australia, as defined in the registrant’s constitution or other documents of incorporation.
2. Domain names in the org.au 2LD must be:
a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name; or
b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant, in accordance with the categories of “close and substantial connection” set out in the Guidelines on the Interpretation of Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs.
Many do use .org.au, but many also have the .com.au domain. They have ABNs and so are entitled to use .com.au as well. Where is the rule they can't have a .com.au domain?

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
And so I'm wondering how many people here bleating on about how the world will end to their "clients", telling them how bad it is they can have a second level domain, but are conflicted because they own a portfolio of .com.au and think they'll lose out. Not their clients. So they're judgement is clouded, to be kind...

And on costs... again, do you really know your businesses? So a small business can easily set up a DNS forward, which I have done, and their clients are none the wiser. This can work for years...

On stationery and other signs etc, well, it would be pretty rare for even the smallest of small businesses not to reprint stationery within a 5 year period and many would repaint etc...

And let's not forget that 41% of domains are in their first 2 years of registration in .au, so there is a lot of churn, new registrations and deletes...

And don't forget the hundreds of thousands of businesses and individuals, if not millions, that will register domains in the future.

Again, this is like spoon-feeding children. I'm prepared to act as a consultant to help you out since you're having problems understanding your business.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
God, this is like spoon-feeding children.
David, if that's your attitude, why post here at all?

You've already called forum members 'ignorant' several times in your recent posts, so I'm not sure why you participate at all.

Frankly I'm gobsmacked by the way that you conduct yourself in conversations here. I think you would get a far better response if you engaged in this debate in a constructive manner, one that doesn't involve dishing out personal insults to individuals or indeed the whole forum community.

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
I do love the ignorance and self-interest here. I don't stick my head in the sand like so many here. And I can imagine the squealing that would happen here too. Ignorance again. There are many comments that are ignorant in this thread. I'm not really interested in appealing to the DNT community. Your attacks and others have shown the total lack of interest in anyone other than yourselves. Still, it is expecting a bit too much for a rational discussion here. God, this is like spoon-feeding children. Again, this is like spoon-feeding children. I'm prepared to act as a consultant to help you out since you're having problems understanding your business.
You have a way with words. Not saying it's a good way. But it's a way.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
And given that plenty of individuals, that is the vast majority, don't have an ABN, they're excluded. The intention of .com.au is for businesses. Maybe you should read up on the rules.

Having an ABN is one of the eligibility rules and getting one for individuals is simple and easy. It's not a barrier to anyone. Even charities can get them.

Many [charities] do use .org.au, but many also have the .com.au domain. They have ABNs and so are entitled to use .com.au as well. Where is the rule they can't have a .com.au domain?

• So charities have org.au but can also have .com.au's.
  • Individuals have id.au's but aren't intended have .com.au's?

You are full of it.

My lawn needs some fertiliser, are you free on Saturday to "consult"?

findtim

Top Contributor
what does an ABN cost ? hmmmmmmmmm nothing
you keep talking about individuals, are you trying to say ALL this is because of individuals without an ABN ? which they can get for free, what a load of rubbish.

tim

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
David, if that's your attitude, why post here at all?

You've already called forum members 'ignorant' several times in your recent posts, so I'm not sure why you participate at all.

Frankly I'm gobsmacked by the way that you conduct yourself in conversations here. I think you would get a far better response if you engaged in this debate in a constructive manner, one that doesn't involve dishing out personal insults to individuals or indeed the whole forum community.
Really? You're gobsmacked by the way members abuse others who have a contrary opinion? I thought it was the way here.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Having an ABN is one of the eligibility rules and getting one for individuals is simple and easy. It's not a barrier to anyone. Even charities can get them.

• So charities have org.au but can also have .com.au's.
  • Individuals have id.au's but aren't intended have .com.au's?

You are full of it.

My lawn needs some fertiliser, are you free on Saturday to "consult"?

I guess you don't understand barriers. Why should the local knitting group be forced to go get an ABN? Or the indigenous community group be forced to get an ABN? Or an individual.

It's forcing people to go through an extra hoop. Plus it's not what .com.au was designed for or is intended for. You either get rid of the rules requiring it to be "commercial" or allow second level registrations. And there is next to no support for changing the rules for .com.au.

You complain about extra work required when second level registrations are canvassed... it seems it's only when it suits YOU should change happen. Not that it might suit many existing registrants and probably every future registrant. The latter of which will be more numerous. But then there are quite a few around the world who see new gTLDs as a threat to existing TLDs. Not that this would occur to you.

And if you're worried about who gets the second level .au domain, then support something like in .nz where the second level domain can't be registered until all 3LD registrants can come to an agreement as to who should get it. If there's no agreement the domain remains unused.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
The local knitting group has a website? Maybe they should just get the .asn.au (no ABN required)?
If individuals can't jump one small hoop or accept .id.au then do you really think there is demand for .au's from them?
There's 3 million .com.au's and what 15,000 id.au's. Who is being inconvenienced here?
Like "I" said there's no demand for websites and hence domains from individuals in Australia. See above line for proof.
So the NZ solution was to give the current holders a shot at the new version of their domains? Wow how is that helping the individuals?

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
The local knitting group has a website? Maybe they should just get the .asn.au (no ABN required)?
If individuals can't jump one small hoop or accept .id.au then do you really think there is demand for .au's from them?
There's 3 million .com.au's and what 15,000 id.au's. Who is being inconvenienced here?
Like "I" said there's no demand for websites and hence domains from individuals in Australia. See above line for proof.
So the NZ solution was to give the current holders a shot at the new version of their domains? Wow how is that helping the individuals?
Maybe a better name for this forum would be UKIP-AU. Because the comments and interest of what happens around the world, unless it suits the insular world inhabited by most here, is certainly xenophobic.

Look at .fr and .se for starters and see there *is* interest from individuals. And in .nz, the difference is individuals *CAN* register a .nz name. But in .nz individuals can register a .co.nz domain as well as far as I can tell.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor

And of course, you're wrong. The local knitting group is quite likely not eligible for a .asn.au domain since the 2LD is for "incorporated associations, political parties, trade unions, sporting and special interest clubs."

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member