What's new

Draft recommendations from the 2015 Names Policy Panel

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
thats my main point, my client base DO NOT KNOW this is potentially happening, they have not been informed, so how can they state an opinion ?

tim

If you want everyone to comment, then no change will ever happen. Contacting all registrants could easily be construed as spam. The reality is it's the process of the transition that's of most importance. That registrants prefer the shorter options has been demonstrated in multiple ccTLDs. And in .nz registrations are growing rapidly in second level domains and declining in most 3LDs including .co.nz. The only time almost everyone has a say in Australia on a basis that's greater than a community group is an election, and then it's compulsory. If that wasn't compulsory participation would drop from well over 90% to probably around 50-60%.

As for you making profit, well, that depends on the model adopted, if it is adopted. If registrants, for example, are given their equivalent domain for x years, the only way you'll make money is if total registration numbers grow, say, with individuals registering domains. And again, why are so many here so against individuals registering .au domains? Would you be happy if only individuals could register second level domains? I'm fine with that. But brand owners won't be. And I can imagine the squealing that would happen here too.

findtim

Top Contributor
TYPING ? typing will soon be dead ( once again ) , my 7 yr old searches by voice recognition.

possible arthritis of future and potential registrants!
don't forget about the class action on throat cancer from voice recognition software.

i just did a voice search for one of my clients sites, i didn't add .com.au in the request, google geo targeted me and gave me a result and we rank number one. so WHY do i need to pay for a .com.au AND a .au ?
ohhhhhhhh, sorry, i forgot, its because it gives someone else to have a chance at stealing all the effort we have done in the last 10 years, yeh that makes sense ! NOT.
tim

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
i just did a voice search for one of my clients sites, i didn't add .com.au in the request, google geo targeted me and gave me a result and we rank number one. so WHY do i need to pay for a .com.au AND a .au ?
ohhhhhhhh, sorry, i forgot, its because it gives someone else to have a chance at stealing all the effort we have done in the last 10 years, yeh that makes sense ! NOT.
tim

Ignorance again. Given that a model has not been decided on how can you say this? Basically people are being asked to comment on the idea of allowing 2LD registrations. The model will be decided afterwards.

findtim

Top Contributor
If you want everyone to comment, then no change will ever happen. Contacting all registrants could easily be construed as spam.
BS, if you got people commenting you would know the real facts of the australian community on the matter, don't treat maand pa as idiots please.
BS, its not spam, its coming from an authority.
And in .nz registrations are growing rapidly
yes, because its been forced on them, those registrations are defensive and are now paying for it

election, and then it's compulsory
i'm not saying compulsory, i'm saying communication, at least give them a choice to act or not.
If registrants, for example, are given their equivalent domain for x years, the only way you'll make money is if total registration numbers grow
once again you haven't read the threads or what i and others have said, its not about a domain name, its about the rebranding costs , business cards, signage etcccccccccccc
The model will be decided afterwards.
WHY ? the decision and the model should be tied together, thats like voting for a political party and then fining out kermit the frog is going to be prime minister

tim

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Maybe you haven't read the relevant parts of the Spam Act 2003. AuDA would not come under the exemptions. It would be arguable as to the content whether it was allowed.

Nobody is forced to register a second level .nz name. Purely optional. Optional to keep the 3LD as well. And 3LDs are declining.

Yes, there are costs. Many of these are costs that would be spent anyway over a period of years. There are costs, but it's up to each registrant what they want to do. So you're ignorant of the process. As I'd expect.

And obviously you haven't read the terms of reference. As I'd expect. And you obviously don't have any idea of how Australia's political system works. We don't elect a prime minister. Politicians do.

findtim

Top Contributor
Many of these are costs that would be spent anyway over a period of years. There are costs, but it's up to each registrant what they want to do. So you're ignorant of the process. As I'd expect.
ahhhh, nothing has changed has it ! you don't involve yourself in the conversation and then you are like a shark attack on byron bay beach.

Many of these are costs that would be spent anyway over a period of years.
WHY? why is that a valid point, its a COST to small business, pure and simple, having to defensive reg, PAY for that for many years to the benefit of others and NOT the small business owner is NOT diluting the fact that money has been spent by small business when it shouldn't have been. if money is coming out of their pockets then NOBODY can argue that it has cost them more then what it should.

if you really stand for the .au , make it NO COST forever, simple.

i'm not going to debate the spam act, auda should be exempt from it in my opinion on such an IMPORTANT issue as this, thats just a cop out IMO.

Nobody is forced to register a second level .nz name
yes, nobody is forced literally, but they are being forced by the change and any person can see that.
We don't elect a prime minister. Politicians do
BS: ask anyone at a polling booth on election day who they are voting for and its not labour not liberal or green, they are voting for the person they know will be in charge come the end of the day , politicians TELL everyone what will happen before the vote/survey, they also nominate who it will be, they also SEND OUT letters of information to ALL concerned, auda doesn't seem to feel the need.

and just as a matter of note: in reference to me you have stated the words, ignorant and ignorance, which i find offensive from someone that is in your position, if you are trying to slam me and this conversation down i'll let you know you have no hope, in actual fact what you have said online today may just well bite you.

have you noticed the "silence" on this thread since you joined it ? its switched to phone calls i think !
thanks for your input since your last visit ummmmm......... how many months ago ?
:)

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
ALL my clients are against it, i'm dealing with real people with real businesses, bricks and mortar and online, and unless i tell them they will never know until it hits them down the track, David, do you not get that ?

just please answer that question

tim

DomainNames

Top Contributor
ALL my clients are against it, i'm dealing with real people with real businesses, bricks and mortar and online, and unless i tell them they will never know until it hits them down the track, David, do you not get that ?

just please answer that question

tim

I am in the same situation, I'm wasting a lot of time fielding very worried concerns from my clients..Some of them have even contacted Auda and Netregistry but said they got nothing but " do the survey if you like". The fact is to most people the survey makes no sense at all.

I am dealing with real businesses, real families, real investors ( using their super fund bank loans etc) who have built a business around their .com.au branding.

It is a very serious issue and this needs to be recognised as serious.

It was voted NO for the new .Au extension in 2007
It was voted NO for the new .Au extension in 2010

It should not keep getting pushed by those with the true agenda to make a sh%^load of money it.
_________
What will auda make?
What will netregistry make?
What will registrars and resellers make?
What will IP and Trademark lawyers make
What will dispute panelists make?

What is the potential hurt to existing .com.au owners, costs, disputes, stress, loss of business, increased competition against the same brand name...

These are very real concerns I am receiving from .com.au registrants and businesses so I am putting it out there like Tim seems to rightfully be doing.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Phone calls? Really? Hilarious. There are many comments that are ignorant in this thread. People obviously haven't read the paper, recommendations or terms of reference.

Of course there are costs if people wish to change. But maybe if you looked around the world you'd see registrants prefer 2LDs over 3LDs. Simple. And again, you ignore individual registrants. But OK. As I said let only individuals register second level domains. I'd be content with that compromise.

And again, look at our political system. When have you ever voted for a prime minister? Never.

As for awareness. Getting anyone interested is difficult. Even the media are disinterested.

And yes. It's no wonder people outside your small little world don't participate here. Anyone who dissents is howled down. No wonder it's such a small group that participates. There's no desire of an interest in other views. There's no desire to learn what works and doesn't in other ccTLDs and gTLDs and how it could apply to .au.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I do love the ignorance and self-interest here. And the lack of thinking about the wider community of registrants and potential registrants.

Maybe second level registrations should just be opened up to individuals then since so many here oppose second level registrations so vociferously. I can just imagine the squealing that would then go on.

In .fr, for example, where individuals had to register in their own 3LD, like in .au, they changed the situation so they were treated the same as businesses and ever since individuals have accounted for around half of registrants ever since. So the market will grow and individual registrants will look to .au instead of .com, .me and .co.

And let's not forget that in any ccTLD where there is a choice of second and third level registrations, all things being equal the vast majority of registrants choose the second level.

Naturally there needs to be a process for introducing second level registrations and consideration has to be given to existing registrants. But that's not for this panel to decide.

So by all means, stoke self-interest and ignorance. And ignore the future of the .au ccTLD if you want. But in the long term, and probably medium term, you're only doing yourselves more harm than good.

Hey David would you mind putting in a Disclaimer to show your association with auDA if you feel it is needed?
"http://www.auda.org.au/auda-domain-news/
auDA Domain Name News is compiled by David Goldstein on auDA's behalf."

http://goldsteinreport.com.au/page.php?id=david
Current clients include auDA, CoCCA, DENIC, EURid, InternetNZ, nic.at

DomainNames

Top Contributor
David,
As a member of the 2015 names policy panel please comfort us all you are truly impartial on the new .Au extension and will seriously listen to all of the concerns being raised and in no way take a preference to any agendas to bring it in.

It is a real concern when panelists are out making statements and seemingly opposing anyone who raises valid concerns
" http://www.auda.org.au/policies/pan...policy-panel/2015-names-policy-panel-members/ member: David Goldstein, Goldstein Report "

robert

Top Contributor
the world got it wrong with .net , .net.au etc , and we all make mistakes but now its time for someone to stand up and say " oopps"
stop allowing them to be registered is my opinion, should have been done years ago.
tim
My One Year birthday of being a Domainer is pretty much here Tim. In fact, TPP emailed and rang me today to say congratulations, true story. People told me, especially Neddy, but I wished I had listened. I would have saved thousands not buying .net.au's or .net's.... You gots to start somewhere and learn the hardway. I learned quite a few lessons over this past year... Lessons that stung!

team Abolish .net.au !!

findtim

Top Contributor
As for awareness. Getting anyone interested is difficult
just send them a LETTER. How hard is that, let them decide, not informing them is like " holding a small rock in your hand in melbourne and saying it keeps the crocodiles away ", i think you are scared of the truth.

Even the media are disinterested

BS: and i think you will shortly see otherwise.

And yes. It's no wonder people outside your small little world don't participate here
"your small world" , how to impress the dnt community once again.
There's no desire of an interest in other views
there is MUCH desire, you just haven't read the threads, haven't talked to the people who have interests in what could happen, haven't been at ground zero.

what you have failed to do is convince me ( as i can only speak for myself ) of the benefits to this change, the brief given to the committee was targeted to what they want to occur.

i speak for the businesses that have nothing financially to gain from this change, only to lose money/brand and gain confusion, the only gain is the registrars and auda.

and as for everyday australians getting a domain i have artists/musicians who have their NAME as a .com.au and its vital for their business, i also have a client that is a photographer and her name is the same as another photographer in another capital city in australia and that person has registered the .com of just her name, so if .au comes in without the correct terms my client is going to be ............... what ? stressed

the 2 parties are blablaphotography.com.au and blablaphotography.com , and they are 4000klms apart , this is the typical example of the problem we could be facing. PERFECT example and one i can back up with online proof.
THATS who i stand for, the business person that presently doesn't know whats going on because auda doesn't want to many opinions.

and in closing, why is this conversation going on without a single person stating the represent auda ? david you have come here as "david" not auda, am i correct ?

so auda do not notify domain name owners, have .......... dare i say " a small world" of members " , do not contribute to an important conversation on the central hub of domaining, which by the way is larger then you think, and i think it was also mentioned "stick your head in the sand" ?

wonderful
tim

DomainNames

Top Contributor
David,
As a member of the 2015 names policy panel please comfort us all you are truly impartial on the new .Au extension and will seriously listen to all of the concerns being raised and in no way take a preference to any agendas to bring it in.

It is a real concern when panelists are out making statements and seemingly opposing anyone who raises valid concerns
" http://www.auda.org.au/policies/pan...policy-panel/2015-names-policy-panel-members/ member: David Goldstein, Goldstein Report "

David do you still hold these views you posted 4 years ago on this forum on the same topic ?
"* close and substantiation rule - I would support its abolition
* registrations at the second level - I support this
* opening up registrations of .AU domains on a wider scale - I am meaning by allowing registrants from around the world, so not just Australians - during the Names Policy Panel I was leaning towards allowing this as I do not see it has caused problems in other ccTLDs and I haven't had put to me an argument that holds when looking at what has happened in other ccTLDs. I do not see this as a problem." September 2011

Does this mean you think anyone in the world should be able to register the new proposed .AU extension?

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Hey David would you mind putting in a Disclaimer to show your association with auDA if you feel it is needed?
"http://www.auda.org.au/auda-domain-news/
auDA Domain Name News is compiled by David Goldstein on auDA's behalf."

http://goldsteinreport.com.au/page.php?id=david
Current clients include auDA, CoCCA, DENIC, EURid, InternetNZ, nic.at
Gee. Did you just learn this? Anyone interested in domain names has known this for 13 years. So how do my views have anything to do with any perceived bias? Are you aware of an auDA view that I'm not? I'm also on the Panel if you haven't worked this out too.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
David do you still hold these views you posted 4 years ago on this forum on the same topic ?
"* close and substantiation rule - I would support its abolition
* registrations at the second level - I support this
* opening up registrations of .AU domains on a wider scale - I am meaning by allowing registrants from around the world, so not just Australians - during the Names Policy Panel I was leaning towards allowing this as I do not see it has caused problems in other ccTLDs and I haven't had put to me an argument that holds when looking at what has happened in other ccTLDs. I do not see this as a problem." September 2011

Does this mean you think anyone in the world should be able to register the new proposed .AU extension?
Yes, I still hold these views. Not that these changes are ever going to happen. You must be really bored if you're digging this stuff up.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
just send them a LETTER. How hard is that, let them decide, not informing them is like " holding a small rock in your hand in melbourne and saying it keeps the crocodiles away ", i think you are scared of the truth.

BS: and i think you will shortly see otherwise.

"your small world" , how to impress the dnt community once again.

there is MUCH desire, you just haven't read the threads, haven't talked to the people who have interests in what could happen, haven't been at ground zero.

what you have failed to do is convince me ( as i can only speak for myself ) of the benefits to this change, the brief given to the committee was targeted to what they want to occur.

i speak for the businesses that have nothing financially to gain from this change, only to lose money/brand and gain confusion, the only gain is the registrars and auda.

and as for everyday australians getting a domain i have artists/musicians who have their NAME as a .com.au and its vital for their business, i also have a client that is a photographer and her name is the same as another photographer in another capital city in australia and that person has registered the .com of just her name, so if .au comes in without the correct terms my client is going to be ............... what ? stressed

the 2 parties are blablaphotography.com.au and blablaphotography.com , and they are 4000klms apart , this is the typical example of the problem we could be facing. PERFECT example and one i can back up with online proof.
THATS who i stand for, the business person that presently doesn't know whats going on because auda doesn't want to many opinions.

and in closing, why is this conversation going on without a single person stating the represent auda ? david you have come here as "david" not auda, am i correct ?

so auda do not notify domain name owners, have .......... dare i say " a small world" of members " , do not contribute to an important conversation on the central hub of domaining, which by the way is larger then you think, and i think it was also mentioned "stick your head in the sand" ?

wonderful
tim

There have been discussions about how to best notify .au registrants. But from memory this was thought best to come from registrars. I have not represented auDA since my term on the board (2005-07).

Benefits. One is registrants prefer it. Ask a registrant can they have name.au or name.com.au and see what they prefer. And the one that you're all so ignorant of is individuals and even though I keep mentioning it you keep ignoring it - individuals. They are totally disinterested in .id.au. And it seems pretty much nobody wants to allow individuals to register in .com.au. So therefore allowing them to use .au is the answer. It's disgraceful that there is little support for this. Or ideas on how to deal with this issue. There are also many that perceive the threat of new gTLDs is greater without second level registrations. And international evidence has shown registrants, when they have the choice, prefer the shorter 2LDs. There is also no evidence it will create confusion.

On implementation, as I've said ad nauseum, this will be discussed AFTER this consultation round is completed and IF the idea of second level registrations are recommended to the board.

You also have no evidence to suggest auDA doesn't want too many submissions. It's a total fabrication. A total lie. Totally untrue.

I'm not really interested in appealing to the DNT community. Your attacks and others have shown the total lack of interest in anyone other than yourselves. You're not the only ones out there.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
So it's all about the individuals?

Won't somebody please think of the INDIVIDUALS!

Individuals need a cool domain like name.au not some crappy name.id.au!

Oh and don't forget the arthritis from having to type the extra .id!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member