What's new

Draft recommendations from the 2015 Names Policy Panel

findtim

Top Contributor
SO, today, lets add another bunch of my clients, everyday hard working self employed small business owners who didn't know they could have a say in such an important decision
a florist, a wedding celebrant, an optometrist, a cake decorator, a photographer, a pub owner, an accountant...............

these are not big business, these are people just wanting to earn a BUCK and not have more unnecessary expenses. adding .au isn't going to help them, its not going to help others as well, all you will get is defensive regos but you don't care where the money comes from and a "5 year rule is CRAP"

they are all 100% pissed off that if it wasn't for me they would not have been told, and every one filled out the survey within a few hours ( they are working of course ) of me informing them, giving them BOTH sides of the story they all have voted NO
this isn't ego , this is just simple justice, the right to KNOW from the people who PAY auda .
and this propaganda of PRO .au from netregistry is once again disgusting and i am sick of saying it, i truly think there is a law that says if you do not provide the full information then you are breaking the law . this is why i have provided links in my emails to clients.

thanks for putting in your one sided bias in writing so we can use it later.

tomorrow is tomorrow but i think without a doubt so far i have proven the point that in its current form the people do not want it.

for some reason i feel like this is the "hunger games "

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Fancy that, I got an email from our friends at Net Registry telling me to vote yes to the new .au extension
~
More sales ?????
~
"You may have seen discussions recently regarding the proposal by auDA (.au Domain Administration) to simplify the Australian domain space by allowing businesses to register domain names directly in the second level, for example as companyname.au instead of companyname.com.au.

The introduction of direct .au registrations would have a number of benefits for Australian businesses, including:

• The option of a shorter domain name which is easier for customers to remember
  • Reducing the risk of misdirected traffic through customers misremembering addresses, for example typing .net.au instead of .com.au
  • Providing shorter addresses without sacrificing the visibility and trust associated with an .au domain
When second-level registrations have been opened up overseas, for example .uk and .nz, it has been remarkably successful. This strongly suggests that .au would be similarly popular.

If you support giving businesses the option of registering domains directly under .au, please cast your vote in favour of the proposal — simply click YES for all questions."
~
Sorry Net Registry ...... pretty rare I click on a link in an email, especially when it says "Vote Yes"

Rhythm

Top Contributor
tomorrow is tomorrow but i think without a doubt so far i have proven the point that in its current form the people do not want it.

Whose people?

Proven?

You are making unsubstantiated claims regarding an undetermined process if .au was to proceed. And your people are completing the survey based on that.

Lose traffic to .au? Do you have data to support that?

Last edited:
It's a good lesson that auDA should be providing both sides of the story to all stakeholders and not letting the supply side influence their customers without giving a fair and balanced view of the situation.
The Names Policy Panel Paper sets out the pro and counter arguments. auDA cant and should NOT try to prevent Registrars or Domainers (or anyone else) lobbying for a certain outcome. Everyone is free to lobby the panel.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I take issue with the fact auDA won't email domain owners for fear of spamming yet the registrars who were probably front and centre in offering that as an issue are now freely emailing their entire database of domain owners with their spin on it.

findtim

Top Contributor
The Names Policy Panel Paper sets out the pro and counter arguments. auDA cant and should NOT try to prevent Registrars or Domainers (or anyone else) lobbying for a certain outcome. Everyone is free to lobby the panel.
exactly, and i have given all my clients links to articles where they can read and make their own decisions, i have been fair unlike spacey's letter above that he received being totally one sided.

Whose people?
Proven?
You are making unsubstantiated claims regarding an undetermined process if .au was to proceed. And your people are completing the survey based on that.
Lose traffic to .au? Do you have data to support that?

for the benefit of clarity rhythm i have added your complete post,
whose people: well i've already stated this if you read my posts, i've been very open about this, i've sent emails showing both sides of the coin, i've made phone calls saying both sides, so thats the proof, i've let them decide how to vote, i of course have given them a suggestion openly and they have ALL felt the same way as me to date.

unsubstaniated claims........... , oh thats a friday funny , what i love most about that sentence is the part of " undetermined process" being used in support of it happening as thats one of the MAJOR issues "undertermined" YEP, " they want you to vote and they'll tell YOU what happens next BUT they aren't going to tell you now " how silly.

"do i have data" , what a silly question, i have FACTS, in its present form its going to cost small business more money with NO extra benefit, unless you tell me the .au will be GIVEN to the .com.au owner for FREE.
It's a good lesson that auDA should be providing both sides of the story to all stakeholders
all stakeholders are the keys here.
The Names Policy Panel Paper sets out the pro and counter arguments
true, but they haven't told anyone have they, so whats the point?

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
the fact auDA won't email domain owners for fear of spamming
this has been the issue from the start IMO
its just BS
auda should be in control and FAIR, the whole thing is a scam.

come the end of this as a member of auda i want to know how many people filled out the survey, it doesn't end sept 30th

tim

petermeadit

Top Contributor
The policy panel met yesterday to discuss the draft recommendations paper. The minutes from the meeting and the draft paper will all be published on the auDA website. The recommendations paper will be presented to the board on the 12th Dec buy a representative of the panel. It is important to note that the recommendations were not reached unanimously, but in principle a significant number of the panel are in favour of direct registrations, with a smaller number not in favour.
However, my observation is a general consensus among the panel members that the implementation will be complicated. Also policies for allocation and in particular prior entitlement of existing names, have been raised and discussed at length, which I am pleased about. The panel has finished its job, and my position on the panel has ended. As I said my input to the panel was to make sure that if .au had to be open up, that the concerns of how any implementation would occur would be thought about in depth, prior to any panel recommendation made to the board. So for the most part I am satisfied that my concerns were heard and that the panel recognises .au direct registration implementation will be complex to say the least, and that before anybody rushes into it, that people have their eyes open to the possible issues.
I mean what if somebody else gets carsales.au? What then? It was my goal to help bring all this into focus, and that is what I feel I did. But it is a long conversation for the board of directors to have now.
Once again the role of the policy review panel, is for a broad range of representatives from various industries simply to look into the policies and discuss obvious issues, then make recommendations to the board of directors.
Once the board of directors have this on their agenda, it is completely up to them to discuss any issues, and to take action or to shelve the issues, or do whatever the directors see fit.
If you are interested in what is happening, then vote at the auDA AGM, or make contact with auDA by email or phone and discuss any issues or concerns with the people. Or talk with your elected representative board member, or any other board member about what is going on and where things are likely to go.

HTH

Erwin

Top Contributor
The policy panel met yesterday to discuss the draft recommendations paper. The minutes from the meeting and the draft paper will all be published on the auDA website. The recommendations paper will be presented to the board on the 12th Dec buy a representative of the panel. It is important to note that the recommendations were not reached unanimously, but in principle a significant number of the panel are in favour of direct registrations, with a smaller number not in favour.
However, my observation is a general consensus among the panel members that the implementation will be complicated. Also policies for allocation and in particular prior entitlement of existing names, have been raised and discussed at length, which I am pleased about. The panel has finished its job, and my position on the panel has ended. As I said my input to the panel was to make sure that if .au had to be open up, that the concerns of how any implementation would occur would be thought about in depth, prior to any panel recommendation made to the board. So for the most part I am satisfied that my concerns were heard and that the panel recognises .au direct registration implementation will be complex to say the least, and that before anybody rushes into it, that people have their eyes open to the possible issues.
I mean what if somebody else gets carsales.au? What then? It was my goal to help bring all this into focus, and that is what I feel I did. But it is a long conversation for the board of directors to have now.
Once again the role of the policy review panel, is for a broad range of representatives from various industries simply to look into the policies and discuss obvious issues, then make recommendations to the board of directors.
Once the board of directors have this on their agenda, it is completely up to them to discuss any issues, and to take action or to shelve the issues, or do whatever the directors see fit.
If you are interested in what is happening, then vote at the auDA AGM, or make contact with auDA by email or phone and discuss any issues or concerns with the people. Or talk with your elected representative board member, or any other board member about what is going on and where things are likely to go.

HTH

Thanks Peter, for the update, and your contribution!
Yes, anything can still happen, but it is leaning toward .au opening up.. Interesting times ahead I'm sure!

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
As I said my input to the panel was to make sure that if .au had to be open up, that the concerns of how any implementation would occur would be thought about in depth, prior to any panel recommendation made to the board. So for the most part I am satisfied that my concerns were heard and that the panel recognises .au direct registration implementation will be complex to say the least, and that before anybody rushes into it, that people have their eyes open to the possible issues.

Your concerns have (now) been heard Peter. :)

It's no secret that many DNT members elected me to the auDA Board last year. If you have any concerns, you can always call or message me directly.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member