What's new

Draft recommendations from the 2015 Names Policy Panel

snoopy

Top Contributor
Why don't they do a focused push to promote .net.au again?,,, and again... How about promote the hundreds of thousands of possible .com.au names that are yet to be registered and still available

Agree but the available .com.au's. There is no shortage of usable names. Why spend money promoting .net.au though? To me that is a bit like spending money promote id.au, it has proven itself a dud, why spend a cent on it? Ok .id.au is far worse, but why promote extensions that are just bad.

A business wouldn't usually start to focus on a product that has been a failure in the marketplace just because it has done badly, they'd promote the "winners" even more and ditch those that haven't worked out.

findtim

Top Contributor
the world got it wrong with .net , .net.au etc , and we all make mistakes but now its time for someone to stand up and say " oopps"
stop allowing them to be registered is my opinion, should have been done years ago.
tim

findtim

Top Contributor
So basically it's everything you've posted, been posting and will continue to post?
to answer for myself only: of course it is, nobody has ever denied that, its just when you come from a place of authority and throw a short disclosure at the bottom for an article about something that has yet to be decided and you are one person who is going to vote on it AND you will profit from it that i really think its a conflict of interest.
the disclosure should have been :
"i am on the board that votes on this, if you vote yes i am set to make millions because we are holding a gun to the heads of domain name owners, OHHH by the way, he he , actually we don't want you to vote as we haven't told any of you we are doing it."

do we just sit back and do nothing ? the options they have given us are not enough, not clear, not tangible, not focused and not priced ans they want us to say yes or no ?

"hey, i'll build you a website yes or no, i'll tell you how much once i am finished, you'll get whatever i decide to do, and you are going to pay me double for the rest of the future " , sounds like a great deal doesn't it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tim

DomainNames

Top Contributor
So basically it's everything you've posted, been posting and will continue to post?

I am not promoting any unneeded domain name extensions in Australia or globally and will not profit from.Au unlike those who are actively in positions to approve, bring it in, administer and massively profit from it. Of course they will continue to push for it. Money talks,, some people have no concerns about a possible obvious conflict of interest... who is going to question and stop them or make sure their vote is not counted due to the conflict of interest?

There would be very few Domain name Registrars, Resellers and Affiliates who take a stand and rightfully voice concerns over the introduction of .Au .... very few it seems. It is shameful

My concern is it is obvious a lot of Domain name registrant money is being spent promoting the need for a new conflicting .Au domain name extension by the very people who will profit most from it

findtim

Top Contributor
It is shameful
YEP, how on earth does nobody see this blatant strategy ?
i've been contacting my clients and EVERY single one of them have said "BULLSHIT " , yep i said it, everyone says " get them to complete the survey" but i HAVE to inform them there is a survey, absolute BULLSHIT once again,
My concern is it is obvious a lot of Domain name registrant money is being spent promoting the need for a new conflicting .Au domain name extension by the very people who will profit most from it

exactly, conflict of interest left right and center, this is going to go totally pear shaped for those involved, the process is flawed, the concept is flawed, the people in charge who agree with it are flawed IMO, it is nothing more then profiteering.

politicians often vote and give themselves pay rises , senator john madigan voted against it but it was voted in, he got ? $40,000 ? pay rise, so what he has done is started a fund to give back ALL his pay rise to country industry /community programs, you just contact his office in ballarat and make a proposal, and BEFORE you say " ohh auda have programs like that" think about the word ALL.
tim

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
Just a suggestion - anyone fancy putting together the equivalent of a "how to vote card" for the survey (with suggestions for comments etc)? Or maybe template email(s) to be sent to AuDA?

Make it easier for people to "comment on the Panel's draft recommendations" and more people will comment...

findtim

Top Contributor
i'm doing one for my clients now, helena is fixing up the speil as you can imagine i wrote to much ! LOL
one thing i thought was we need to be careful not to tell anyone how to survey or what to say as we don't want any backlash from auda saying we manipulated the survey.
so my advice to my clients is more (1a) means this ............. and this........, i suggest pick " no ", then the person can pick whatever they like.
i think the general comments area is the most important, how the client is going to be affected by any change good or bad.
tim

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
I do love the ignorance and self-interest here. And the lack of thinking about the wider community of registrants and potential registrants.

Maybe second level registrations should just be opened up to individuals then since so many here oppose second level registrations so vociferously. I can just imagine the squealing that would then go on.

In .fr, for example, where individuals had to register in their own 3LD, like in .au, they changed the situation so they were treated the same as businesses and ever since individuals have accounted for around half of registrants ever since. So the market will grow and individual registrants will look to .au instead of .com, .me and .co.

And let's not forget that in any ccTLD where there is a choice of second and third level registrations, all things being equal the vast majority of registrants choose the second level.

Naturally there needs to be a process for introducing second level registrations and consideration has to be given to existing registrants. But that's not for this panel to decide.

So by all means, stoke self-interest and ignorance. And ignore the future of the .au ccTLD if you want. But in the long term, and probably medium term, you're only doing yourselves more harm than good.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
The demand from individuals in Australia for their own website in close to nil.

I point to the dismal failure of the id.au's. Actually it can't be called a failure if there is low take up as it just means there is simply no demand.

I also point to individual needs being met by social media and complete lack of need for a personal website that can't be satisfied by by Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
The demand from individuals in Australia for their own website in close to nil.

I point to the dismal failure of the id.au's. Actually it can't be called a failure if there is low take up as it just means there is simply no demand.

Yeah. You wouldn't want to look at international experiences as to what happens in other ccTLDs. You might learn something. That might conflict with your ignorance.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
gee, you really know how to warm up a room, and then totally miss the point of our conversation, well done .... again

tim
I'm dealing with the reality of what is shown to be the case internationally. I don't stick my head in the sand like so many here. I'm sure there is one or 2 that can see the benefit of second level registrations. Even here.

findtim

Top Contributor
I don't stick my head in the sand like so many here
we are not, i'm FOR .au if you read my posts, i'm just not for the way it is being manipulated by powers at be to become a money grab.
how on earth can we change something that affects so many people and not tell them ?
tim

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
we are not, i'm FOR .au if you read my posts, i'm just not for the way it is being manipulated by powers at be to become a money grab.
how on earth can we change something that affects so many people and not tell them ?
tim
You're totally wrong suggesting the powers that be are manipulating the proposal. I've advocated this change for 3 Names Policy Panels now with negligible support. Now that change has happened in .nz and .uk support has grown significantly. The main dispute on the Panel now is the method of introduction with numerous proposals discussed. But it's not an issue for the Panel to decide. Personally I see merits in several proposals if 2nd level registrations were introduced. There will be losers in any way put forward. And people will complain. But people also need to combine their own self interest with the interest of registrants, future registrants and potential registrants more widely.

findtim

Top Contributor
But people also need to combine their own self interest with the interest of registrants
thats my main point, my client base DO NOT KNOW this is potentially happening, they have not been informed, so how can they state an opinion ?
the interest of registrants
WHO, the RARE few that know whats going on? i know a dentist that doesn't know, i know an optometrist that doesn't know, a manufacturer, accountant, lawyer, cake decorator, photographer, florist, makeup artist, mechanic, ophthalmologist, hairdresser, bridal gown store, electrician, builder, roofer, plumber, pub, cleaning company, celebrant, party hire, i can simply go on and on.
my statements are NOT self interest as i have stated i actually have profit to gain if it goes through, its just being "suggested" IMO to be done incorrectly simply for profit without improvement, if you want to know the REAL response then go contact the real people who this decision concerns.

personally i think this process should be stopped until auda inform all concerned parties and not just members of auda

i do not feel any decision can be honestly made, informing domain name owners should have been the first step IMO and it hasn't been done.

tim

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
.. But people also need to combine their own self interest with the interest of registrants, future registrants and potential registrants more widely.

Yeah because typing .au instead of .com.au is soo important?
We must all think of the possible arthritis of future and potential registrants! It is our duty to fight potential arthritis wherever we find it or may find it.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member