What's new

Important Changes to our Auction format

Lemon

Top Contributor
By setting a BIN it would allow more processes/resources to be dedicated to catching that particular domain. Why catch a domain worth $10 when you can try twice as hard to catch one worth $1000.

Same goes for setting a fixed bid it gives the heads up on what people are prepared to pay as well as moving away from last minute bidding which gives more time to allocate resources again.

Running a business is about making profit.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
By setting a BIN it would allow more processes/resources to be dedicated to catching that particular domain. Why catch a domain worth $10 when you can try twice as hard to catch one worth $1000.

Free more resources and processes? Like what? It's not like the staff at Netfleet are running in hamster wheels attached to generators that power their servers and if you bid more they are going to run harder come drop time.

This is all computer/programming/hardware infrastructure that is already established and I'm sure more than well resourced from current revenue. This is now more about exploiting/maximising their market dominance.

Lemon

Top Contributor
Free more resources and processes? Like what?

From http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/co/Computer_process

"A process is, roughly speaking, a task being run by a computer, often simultaneously with many other tasks. Many processes may exist simultaneously but they must take turns on the CPU (unless there are multiple CPU's available)."

AND

"Many programming languages, operating systems, and other software development environments support what are called "threads" of execution. Threads are similar to processes, in that both represent a single sequence of instructions executed in parallel with sequences, either by time slicing[?] or multiprocessing. This allows a program to split itself into two or more simultaneously running tasks."

Lemon

zhenjie

Top Contributor
So why would setting a BIN allow MORE processes to be freed up? Why would a BIN or tender give NF more processes/resources as opposed to an auction system? I don't see the technical correlation between the two.

Lemon

Top Contributor
With BIN you know the value of the domain so you can assign a priority based on the value. You also have time to do this not just the 2/3 minute window before the drop.

For example 3 domain a)10000 b)2000 and c)200. You can then say I will put 60% of my effort in catching a, 30% b and 10% c.

Of course there are lots of other factors in that domains don't drop simultaneously but alphabetically and .com.au come before .net.au also the size of the pipe to ausregistry. Also on an average day you have 20 or 30 domains to be caught.

Lemon

Lemon

Top Contributor
Of course you could automate this but I suspect some manual input as Drop tend to win more domains on weekends and when people are on holiday.

Lemon

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Manual resource allocation makes no sense, it would be more time consuming and less accurate.

Programmers like to work smarter, not harder..

davids

Top Contributor
With BIN you know the value of the domain so you can assign a priority based on the value. You also have time to do this not just the 2/3 minute window before the drop.

For example 3 domain a)10000 b)2000 and c)200. You can then say I will put 60% of my effort in catching a, 30% b and 10% c.

Of course there are lots of other factors in that domains don't drop simultaneously but alphabetically and .com.au come before .net.au also the size of the pipe to ausregistry. Also on an average day you have 20 or 30 domains to be caught.

Lemon

Speaking as a programmer, I can tell you that neither a BIN nor one-off private offers for the drops would affect anything to do with the drop-catching process itself... at least not more so than a standard auction listing.

If they were so inclined to do so, a computer can easily calculate what percentage of resources to allocate to each domain within less than a few hundred milliseconds. The code behind calculating the percentage of money that each drop would bring in overall is only a couple of lines at most, nothing special, nothing fancy.

Like others have said, it's an attempt to bring in the "money left on the table." When you can see what everyone is willing to pay at most in the auctions, you can see what you're potentially missing out on each time.

neddy

Top Contributor
Speaking as a programmer, I can tell you that neither a BIN nor one-off private offers for the drops would affect anything to do with the drop-catching process itself... at least not more so than a standard auction listing.

If they were so inclined to do so, a computer can easily calculate what percentage of resources to allocate to each domain within less than a few hundred milliseconds. The code behind calculating the percentage of money that each drop would bring in overall is only a couple of lines at most, nothing special, nothing fancy.

Like others have said, it's an attempt to bring in the "money left on the table." When you can see what everyone is willing to pay at most in the auctions, you can see what you're potentially missing out on each time.

Once again, I love smart guys like you and Zhenjie. :) You effectively counter any technical arguments to the proposed changes.

I'm not technical, but I've been around for a long, long while - and I've learnt to smell opportunism from 100 metres.

The fact is that Netfleet are not in need of any technical help - they have been winning the absolute majority of the drop auctions for a long period of time.

As I pointed out previously - and as davids has reiterated - this is simply a blatant attempt to bring money in that has been "left on the table".

And what's most disappointing to me is that Anthony has obviously been "shut down" by his controllers - hence the lack of responses to reasonably put questions. Normally he is more forthcoming.

Come the 21st October, I'm going to vote with my feet (until they re-introduce a fair transparent marketplace / level playing field). I reckon they might miss my business - there again, they may not. By the way, that means that all you competitors of mine can put in low fixed bids. ;)

findtim

Top Contributor
By the way, that means that all you competitors of mine can put in low fixed bids. ;)

very true, Ned , NF you are only viewing from the balcony of the MCG what is on the "dnt field" , what you are not seeing is what is going on "in the bar"

I love that saying in restaurants " if you like our service tell others, if you don't then tell us "

its proven people do not tell restaurants they hated their food and never come back, and then they tell others not to go there.

once again you guys are just not paying attention.

you are about to act as a monopoly , you need 2 bidders to make money, did no one think about that ???

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
" i'd like to buy a domain "

"Certainly Sir - or is it Madam?

Now just to be sure that you get the domain swingingfromthetrees.com.au, we suggest you put in a fixed bid of $1750. One has to be so careful of other bidders - particularly those dastardly domainers whose money is not as good as yours!"

neddy

Top Contributor
@Anthony

On a serious note, you may have overlooked these couple of questions I posed a couple of days ago:

• With regards your proposed BIN's; how is this similar to eBay if one is not guaranteed of buying the domain?

• What is your (Netfleet's) definition of a "public auction"?

And now a third question.

• What happened to the proposed extended bidding format you were going to trial in October?

There are a few posts from both Fleur and yourself in this regard. Here's one: https://www.dntrade.com.au/netfleet-com-au/8199-transparency.html#post58847

Surely that would have been a much better and more popular option than what you have suddenly thrust upon us? It certainly would have ticked a number of boxes for you - particularly in terms of getting increased revenue / cutting down on what you perceive as sniping.

neddy

Top Contributor
@Anthony

Why are you treating us with contempt? Why don't you at least have the courtesy to answer reasonable questions?

Do you think if you say nothing it will all go away?

Can you at least please answer the question about the previously proposed extended bidding format - and why you didn't go ahead with this? Thanks.

findtim

Top Contributor
I just wanted to re read your initial post so I was clear now that we are just a few days away from the change.

What this means is you will no longer need to monitor the bidding all day

umm, I don't, and any real estate auction doesn't last 24 hours either, I can't see anyone sitting there looking at ebay with 4 days and 3 hours to go making a bid.

This also completely negates snipe bidding, which has been a common complaint and frustration for many of our clients.

frustration for many of our clients? ummm, i'm not frustrated, so am I no longer considered a client ?

ahhh I think "your clients" ( which now apparently doesn't include anyone on dnt ) just need to put in higher bids in the CURRENT system and you wouldn't have to go through all this reprogramming and bad PR.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members