What's new

Important Changes to our Auction format

johno69

Top Contributor
Your comments are bordering on defamation , when we sell to a retail user we do as you guys do and sell with the intent to sell at a retail price not a wholesale price . I am not aware of netfleet ever using proxies to help achieve such a result .

The fact that someone with knowledge of the current proxies who can then target end users is leaving yourselves open to criticism don't you think?

We have no alliances with any customers who would benefit from information we have to hand be it highest bids.

It felt as though there was a shake made with eels.com.au

What you are suggesting is unethical and there is no room in our business for such practices .

You came on here and asked what people were complaining about. I told you.

I am not suggesting anything, but you guys (nf) are in a position of power that could easily be used to manipulate things in your financial favour without it being kept a level playing field.

If you are going to be making most actions within the auction process private, then you are leaving yourselves open for users to think like this. And with past marketing initiatives, how can you blame us?

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, maybe I'm the only one who speaks it.

But if you are going to come here and ask what people think, then be prepared to hear our thoughts.

neddy

Top Contributor

I am not suggesting anything, but you guys (nf) are in a position of power that could easily be used to manipulate things in your financial favour without it being kept a level playing field.

If you are going to be making most actions within the auction process private, then you are leaving yourselves open for users to think like this. And with past marketing initiatives, how can you blame us?

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, maybe I'm the only one who speaks it.

But if you are going to come here and ask what people think, then be prepared to hear our thoughts.

Well said Paul. You are not the only one that feels this way - as most on here know, I've had a few words to say in the past. :) As have others.

I've also got a lot more to say, along with some interesting facts - but I'm going to wait until Anthony responds to the snippet I posted earlier:

"As to why he no longer believes that "a public auction provides a level playing field for the consumer".

(I hope he will, but undoubtedly he is having a well deserved weekend break).

Not sure who "Karter34" is; or if he is now the designated spokesperson for Netfleet? But I hope he reads all past threads so he can understand the angst. I also hope that he "plays the ball, and not the man". Most of us try to be constructive.

Karter34

The fact that someone with knowledge of the current proxies who can then target end users is leaving yourselves open to criticism don't you think?

It felt as though there was a shake made with eels.com.au

I suppose anyone in a position of power can manipulate anything .
Though as we are accountable to Auda and the department fair trading as well as our customers we do not manipulate anything .
If this was the case don't you think that the selling prices of domain names would be a lot closer to the proxy pricing .
That in its self should prove that we are business run fairly .
Again with the new system if a customer offers the most money on a domain name they will win it . Pretty simple .
Anyway I have seen enough . Thanks for your time and responses . I will now return to my silent status .

James

Top Contributor
Not a fan of these changes, I like Luke's post, will have too see the impact when they roll out.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Chris, do you ever write short concise posts? ;)
HAHAHA...

Ned, you know I don't...

:p

That said, is anything ever black and white or is there a situation where one perspective is the ONLY possible perspective...?

;)

You are entitled to your opinion - as are we on the other side of the argument. I think by your own admission you have stated you're not much of a buyer these days? Many of us are big and regular buyers, so we are directly affected.
I understand that. And I understand why you are upset. Honestly I do.

And if I was you, I'd be upset to, and having a big case of "who moved my cheese"...

But I guess coming from an SEO/AdSense/AdWords background where the last decade has been a case of constant "who moved my cheese" I guess my attitude has changed a bit where I'm typically just grateful for the good times while they last, because I never expect that they will.

Our relationship with NetFleet was always fated for this.

And it's not like I don't buy domains via NetFleet anymore - I do - but it's more like a handful a month these days...

Yet I still sell a number of domains regularly - often via NetFleet - so I'm supportive of anything that increases those resale values.

As far as the many mouths to feed are concerned, they have actually cut back on costs as Fleur no longer works for NF.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I was excited to see what she could do to develop the domain industry.

And here in lies the rub, when NetFleet has to cut back on costs it means there are less people like Fleur out there trying to grow the pie for all of us. And thus why it is important that NetFleet makes money.

As I've stated before, it is their business, and they can run it anyway they want. But they've kicked some disastrous "own goals" in recent times with their "marketing initiatives" - and then been forced to reverse them later. I can see it happening again. Imho.
I'm not even saying you are not right - only time will tell.

Chris, If my accusations are baseless please support your reasoning. Would love to hear your rebuttal.
Ashman, I'm not going to get into a debate over this. And this will be my final post on this matter:

I think you are confusing AUDA and NetFleet and the obligations of each.

That said, you are welcome to do whatever you want, I was just saying I thought that your approach was a very negative and counterproductive way to convey disappointment to NetFleet, a company which from my perspective don't owe us anything.

But each to their own...

Anyway guys - I think I'll withdraw from this discussion at this point. I look forward to seeing what comes of it all.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Very disappointed with these changes from Netfleet. I myself wont be putting in offers as high as I would proxy bids.

Seems like motivation is none other than money making instead of the best interest of your users/core.

neddy

Top Contributor
Very disappointed with these changes from Netfleet. I myself wont be putting in offers as high as I would proxy bids.

Seems like motivation is none other than money making instead of the best interest of your users/core.

Good on you for speaking up Zhenjie. You are one of the quiet achievers of our industry - and well respected.

This thread is only just over 2 days old, and it has had over 1100 views.

Looking forward to Anthony's responses tomorrow.

StuartB

So let me get this straight - only domains sold for over $1000 will be published, because publishing the sales figure of less than $1000 may impact on market value.....

so doesn't that mean that anything unpublished is automatically known to be under $1000????

StuartB

I don't have a problem with NF devising any selling format they want - that is their right.

I was concerned when this new system seemed to be operating, before the market knew about it. Transparency = Integrity = Trust = Customer Loyalty.

Gutsy effort to change a model that seemed to be working well and had discouraged other Registrars from investing in their Drop Catching software to compete against NF.

snoopy

Top Contributor
We have been experimenting with different auction formats over the past few weeks in order to find the best solution format for selling domain names. On 21st October we will trial first price sealed bid auctions. In short, we will not show any prices on our auction platform, with all bids being fixed offers (being the price you enter will be the price paid [plus the buyers premium] – there will not be a proxy bidding system), and at the end of auction the highest offer wins. We will also be setting BIN prices on a selection of domain names. These will be set before that day’s auction starts, similar to eBay’s ‘Buy it Now or Best Offer’ option, giving everyone an equal chance at buying the domain for the BIN price.

I wonder if Netfleet knows about pool.com or not. All this nonsense is much the the same. The more prices are hidden the lower prices will go.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Ned and Tim, I respect your opinions but I just think there is a bit too much fearmongering going on.

Call me an optimist, and I know it's hard to see right now, but I really think this will play out well for all of us over time.

I think all that will happen is they'll do it for a few months, annoy a lot of people, and make less money. Eventually they'll be back to a plain old auction.

Netfleet is definitely not on the side of domainers, though this change is probably an opportunity to try some lowball bids before they come to their senses.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Whilst I agree Netfleet reserve the right to conduct their business as they see fit, I can't help but lose some
confidence given the poor attitude recently.

Not nearly as active as I have been in the past, but these changes will definitely discourage me from placing high bids.

neddy

Top Contributor
We will also be setting BIN prices on a selection of domain names. These will be set before that day’s auction starts, similar to eBay’s ‘Buy it Now or Best Offer’ option, giving everyone an equal chance at buying the domain for the BIN price.

If two offers for the same price are made by different clients, the first client to make that offer will be elected the winner. The same goes for whoever hits the BIN price first.

Anthony, one big question arises out of your comments above.

How can you offer BIN's when you have no control over whether you win or lose the domain? I imagine Drop will be competing fiercely.

If I was one of your enduser clients, I'd be really pissed if I clicked the button on a Buy It Now only to find that someone else picked the domain up - and so I didn't really buy it.

What another PR nightmare that would be.

Also, I've seen you logged in most of the morning, so I'm wondering if you're going to get around to answering some of the comments and questions that have been made by some of your core customer base?

I'm particularly interested as to why you no longer believe that "a public auction provides a level playing field for the consumer"?

(As per your submission made on behalf of Netfleet in response to the auDA Secondary Market Working Group (of which I was a panel member).

http://www.auda.org.au/pdf/netfleet2.txt

Cheers, Ned

findtim

Top Contributor
i cut most out but you can read it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction
bold is mine.
......... What are effectively sealed first-price auctions are commonly called tendering for procurement by companies and organisations, particularly for government contracts and auctions for mining leases

so there we have it, we have a domain tender system coming

I love this word also "Tenderpreneurism" , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_South_Africa

not slander, just "history often tells the future"

tim

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
How can you offer BIN's when you have no control over whether you win or lose the domain? I imagine Drop will be competing fiercely.
It is no different to our current losses. We will still be a No Win/No Fee and what you are buying is our services to attempt to procure the domain when it is released.

I'm particularly interested as to why you no longer believe that "a public auction provides a level playing field for the consumer"?
The process will still be public, anyone can make an offer or push the buy now button.

neddy

Top Contributor
It is no different to our current losses. We will still be a No Win/No Fee and what you are buying is our services to attempt to procure the domain when it is released.

The process will still be public, anyone can make an offer or push the buy now button.

Two simple questions Anthony.

1. With regards BIN's; how is this similar to eBay if one is not guaranteed of buying the domain? This is what you said:

We will also be setting BIN prices on a selection of domain names. These will be set before that day’s auction starts, similar to eBay’s ‘Buy it Now or Best Offer’ option, giving everyone an equal chance at buying the domain for the BIN price.

I know what you mean, but will unsophisticated buyers (the type of people who you are trying to attract)?

2. What is your definition of a "public auction"?

findtim

Top Contributor
So basically a "no guarantee BIN" & an "auction" that is actually a tender.

what will you think of next?

BIM , " buy it maybe "

So the plan is to make more money and lower costs thus you are now going into the dropping domain valuation business, lunchtime at drop must be a laugh.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members