What's new

Draft recommendations from the 2015 Names Policy Panel

snoopy

Top Contributor
every single person i have contacted has said "thank you for letting me know" and every one is against it.

Tim,
That is probably because you know them, those people are not going to send an email back "Tim I don't care and you are wrong".
Try sending your message to 1000 random email addresses from the whois and see how many thank you for the email and go on to agree with you.

findtim

Top Contributor
Try sending your message to 1000 random email addresses
well that would be a spam act and i don't intend to do that as it would come from "tim" , auda on the other hand as andrew has pointed out send an email to all domain owners to keep their details up to date BUT do NOT inform them of such a vital change to their current ownership position of their .com.au

i do not intend to spam anyone, i intend to use my network of clients that know me, and thus they are respected by their network, and so on, the MAJOR point here is that there is no PAYMENT involved, you do not have to pay to do the survey and thus that breeds cred IMO. its just pure information.

its not a "save a tiger in india" , its " this will affect your business "

i will NOT be sending an email to anyone other then my clients, thus not spam

-------------------
but lets not forget, 3 million domains, 148 auda members and it takes @ 40 votes to get on the board ! absolutely STUPID.
snoopy, i'd vote for you, so go for it.
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
but lets not forget, 3 million domains, 148 auda members and it takes @ 40 votes to get on the board ! absolutely STUPID.
snoopy, i'd vote for you, so go for it.
tim

Proud to say I an not an AUDA member.

The fact that they have 148 members is a very good sign of why emailing 3million is a bad idea. Their email list is 148 people, it is not 3 million.

Probably what they should do is advertise these potential changes, get some media, that is what government would do. They would not email everyone in Australia or everyone potentially effected.

findtim

Top Contributor
Probably what they should do is advertise these potential changes, get some media,

what a load of BS, when is the last time you purchased a newspaper ?
whats the chances that you will be sitting in front of a TV when the advert appears, whats the chances of you driving your car when the ad is played on the radio?

WHAT is the expense compared to just bloody well sending a simple email to the domain name owner !

ummmmmmmmm, aren't we talking about an internet issue, not a tradition snail mail/newspaper/radio issue ?
auda have ALL the email addresses, so inform them.
but i'm going to go one better in my next post
tim

findtim

Top Contributor
this present survey after the first one SUCKS.
it is manipulative, restrictive, contrived, and will NOT give a valid result to the overall decision.

"do you want chocolate or vanilla " is this survey, NOOOOOOOOOOO i want strawberry but there is no real chance to state that until the "general comments" end

its a FARCE
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
what a load of BS, when is the last time you purchased a newspaper ?
whats the chances that you will be sitting in front of a TV when the advert appears, whats the chances of you driving your car when the ad is played on the radio?
AUDA can advertise wherever they like. In terms of sending email though their list is 148 people.

WHAT is the expense compared to just bloody well sending a simple email to the domain name owner !

Of course emailing would be more cost effective, is spam wasn't cheap people would not do it.

findtim

Top Contributor
The fact that they have 148 members is a very good sign

analogy: next week, 4 metres of your front lawn is going to be taken away to increase the road width in your street, OOOHH sorry you weren't on the email list and the time for submissions for opinions is closed now, so the motion has been passed, now the council AFTER the submissions have closed, AFTER those 148 submitted versus the 3 million in you street, of which half of those 148 are actually ROAD WORKS BUILDERS , have decided that you will be given no recompense for that 4 metres as they will be allowing a taco stand/hot dog truck to sit in front of your house.
sorry.............. you weren't a member, but you did pay them money every year in rates but oh shit you didn't sign up for the newsletter, ooppppsyy for you.

ohhh, by the way, tough sh1t, it isn't going to change now, your hot dog stand is there to stay.

+ i can't believe you are not a member of auda, UNLESS all your interest is in .com etc so you don't care about .com.au, if this is the case why are you barking at this thread which involves .com.au owners ?
either you are in the ball game or not, which are you ?
tim

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
AUDA can advertise wherever they like. In terms of sending email though their list is 148 people.
Then how can they send an email to all new registrants?

Subject: Welcome to the .au domain space
Hello
You are receiving this email because you are listed as the registrant contact for a new .au domain name...

...Regards

Chris Disspain
Chief Executive Officer
.au Domain Administration Ltd
ACN 079 009 340
www.auda.org.au

auDA - The Australian Domain Name Administrator

snoopy

Top Contributor
Then how can they send an email to all new registrants?

I don't think they should be sending those emails, perhaps it is covered in the fine print somewhere with registrar agreement but I very much doubt any domain registrant thinks they are also signing up to get email from AUDA when they register a name with Godaddy.

The fact that they are sending those emails doesn't make it right to send further emails.

snoopy

Top Contributor
analogy: next week, 4 metres of your front lawn is going to be taken away to increase the road width in your street, OOOHH sorry you weren't on the email list and the time for submissions for opinions is closed now, so the motion has been passed, now the council AFTER the submissions have closed, AFTER those 148 submitted versus the 3 million in you street, of which half of those 148 are actually ROAD WORKS BUILDERS , have decided that you will be given no recompense for that 4 metres as they will be allowing a taco stand/hot dog truck to sit in front of your house.
sorry.............. you weren't a member, but you did pay them money every year in rates but oh shit you didn't sign up for the newsletter, ooppppsyy for you.

ohhh, by the way, tough sh1t, it isn't going to change now, your hot dog stand is there to stay.

For every analogy someone can think up, there is another one with the exact opposite message.

Here is another one, you leave a pine cone out the from of your house. Someone takes it away. You then ring the police because nobody informed you that you were about to lose that pine cone.

+ i can't believe you are not a member of auda, UNLESS all your interest is in .com etc so you don't care about .com.au, if this is the case why are you barking at this thread which involves .com.au owners ?
either you are in the ball game or not, which are you ?
tim

For how long have I been saying that .com.au is a bad place to invest money? Why would I pay money to the regulator of an extension that I think is a bad place to invest? Instead of joining to try and change AUDA I change things for myself by not investing. The clear way to not be effected by these changes is to not invest in .com.au. If you really want to continue investing then obviously prices you pay need to be be reduced to take into account years of uncertainty in the market no matter which way AUDA goes.

If you are keen on analogies though here is one,

You are in a job and you hear of the grape vine that the boss dislikes you and would love to fire you, then next day he moves you to the mail room.

Do you
A) Start complaining to the boss
B) Talk to your lawyer
C) Get a job somewhere else.

I'd choose option C. If the game doesn't suit, walk away from the game.

findtim

Top Contributor
I'd choose option C. If the game doesn't suit, walk away from the game.
i actually agree with you on that statement and have always lived by it, the problem is in this case there is only one ball park and the people running the ball park are affecting peoples lives without telling them.

so lets make another analogy, your ".com" now becomes a " .c" and they don't tell you !

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
ohh really ! so you have a domain you paid $40K for + dev $$$, opps they changed the rules ! , whats the value of the domain now ?
ohhhhhhh, i'll just go elsewhere, PLEASE tell me you startegy i'd love to here it
Tim, the answer is I'd invest elsewhere if things went in a way that it didn't suit me to invest
so you are saying you'd just forget about your PRIME domain extension and move on to another extension ? you do know that statement goes against everything you have EVER said on this forum ! you are totally against anything other then .com so HOW ON EARTH are you going to "move on and invest elsewhere" ?

this is now stealing the thread which i do not want to do, but its kinda still on target........ish

+ you didn't answer my question,
and they don't tell you !

tim

Rhythm

Top Contributor
auDA have this somewhere in that first (and only?) email.

In our role as industry regulator, auDA publishes Consumer Alerts and other information that may be relevant to you. If you want to ensure that you are kept up to date, you can subscribe to our announcements list

If you really want to continue investing then obviously prices you pay need to be be reduced to take into account years of uncertainty in the market no matter which way AUDA goes.

Good point.
Reality (in my case) is that I'm diversifying into gTLDs - .com, .sydney, .finance
The main issue being 'domain branding risk'. I think this is where I'm getting tripped up.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I mentioned something earlier about how the supply side stands to benefit. Here's some more in depth numbers about those invested interests.

The supply side says it's not about the money but you have to wonder if .com.au and .au were paired for no cost whether they'd still be so keen.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo