What's new

CarAuctions.com.au

xwdomains

Top Contributor
Of the small amount of .com.au I own I've been scaling back what I see as names with low potential and only holding names with parking revenue or names I have immediate plans for.

I have not sold a .au .com.au and net.au under $xxx

I have however sold a few .coms in the $10 range shouldn't it be the other way around:confused:

findtim

Top Contributor
Quit your whining Snoopy. (Sound familiar?). ;)

If you think it is such a crap marketplace, then why don't you get out of it?

You're obviously doing something wrong - or it's not suited to your personality.

There is not a week go by where I don't sell at least one domain for a good return on investment. And I know of quite a few others in the same boat.

i will admit i am a pure newbie but ned is right, if you have a good domain in the .au space then you can onsell it for a good % profit.

of my few good results compared to the legends of this game i've done very well, maybe your business model for the .au is changing and you need to shift it a different way.

"re oil your path and plant cloves in the garden" :)

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
I have not sold a .au .com.au and net.au under $xxx

I have however sold a few .coms in the $10 range shouldn't it be the other way around:confused:

This doesn't back up your case. You haven't sold a .au .com.au and net.au under $xxx, but not from lack of trying. The fact is there are many .au's that while we see value, are only worth what people are prepared to pay.

I have a listed .com.au here on DNT with 1600 local exacts and can't get $50 for it.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Too early, too late, the auction ended on Saturday, everybody forgot to bid. There is always some excuse...

Err.. It's not an excuse. You've sell your crap names, the worst of your worst and then whinge about the sale price.

Fine, nothing wrong with that, but you can't then go and say this shows the state of the market. Every single .com I've owned has lost me money but that doesn't necessarily mean the .com market is down.

Why don't you sell Shares.com.au or LostSuper.com.au and then see if you can cry:

All I know is that most of the .com.au I try to sell are lucky to recoup reg fees]

xwdomains

Top Contributor
This doesn't back up your case. You haven't sold a .au .com.au and net.au under $xxx, but not from lack of trying. The fact is there are many .au's that while we see value, are only worth what people are prepared to pay.

I have a listed .com.au here on DNT with 1600 local exacts and can't get $50 for it.

Mate I have listed very few domains from $50 on DNT doesn't mean I haven't also got them listed elsewhere :rolleyes:

posting a thread on dntrade is not really trying though it's wholesaling the boards full of domainers looking to make a profit.
If your taking so much notice of my domain sales on here you would notice that some are marked sold some have been removed.

I have glanced at your names and the fact is most of them lack commercial appeal.

The fact is I haven't sold any under $XXX and I have 2 names on here listed at $50 which will sell in the near future because 1 is a short 4 letter domain these are called fire sales:rolleyes:

and the other is a 1 word dictionary domain that has commercial use.

and 9 with offers from doesn't mean I will take $50 for all the names listed

that's starting offer just like carsales very first bid could of been $10 doesn't mean it would sell for $10.

Now back to the original thread how much did you think carsales.com.au should of sold for?

14k to low about right to high

xwdomains

Top Contributor
Err.. It's not an excuse. You've sell your crap names, the worst of your worst and then whinge about the sale price.

Fine, nothing wrong with that, but you can't then go and say this shows the state of the market. Every single .com I've owned has lost me money but that doesn't necessarily mean the .com market is down.

Why don't you sell Shares.com.au or LostSuper.com.au and then see if you can cry:

+1

johno69

Top Contributor
I have glanced at your names and the fact is most of them lack commercial appeal.

Awesome, do you suggest I add the letter A to the start of them all? will that help?

The fact is I haven't sold any under $XXX and I have 2 names on here listed at $50 which will sell in the near future because 1 is a short 4 letter domain these are called fire sales:rolleyes:

and the other is a 1 word dictionary domain that has commercial use.

and 9 with offers from doesn't mean I will take $50 for all the names listed

that's starting offer just like carsales very first bid could of been $10 doesn't mean it would sell for $10.

You can make all the excuses under the sun too, you can bag my names all you like while you are at it.

I've NEVER bought a domain name that I had the intention on reselling.

Now back to the original thread how much did you think carsales.com.au should of sold for?
14k to low about right to high

$19.95 I think is a fair price for .com.au

xwdomains

Top Contributor
No because your names are not names like abusinessloan which has had offers for $400 for the domain FYI:rolleyes:
You can make all the excuses under the sun too, you can bag my names all you like while you are at it.

$19.95 I think is a fair price for .com.au
I haven't bagged your names you however have bagged and directly pointed out my names several times:mad:
I didn't mention which names I thought lacked commercial appeal I never said I had intention of reselling with most of my names have been developed and then sold:rolleyes:

Those a names have done ok I have had offers for abusinessloan for $400 and I sold others in xxx range. if you must know

do I register {A} domains anymore no have I sold some of those a domains yes

were these my first attempt at the .au market yep it was. not bad for a noob to the .au market

has some values been affected directly by being bashed on this forum I would guess it has yep.

Instead of whining that you cant sell names like swimming pool lights with a MFA site why not concentrate on things you can sell.

and seek out end users not just post on dnt and netfleet and hope for the best.

if your so interested in HDTV becuase you bring it up every 5 mins why don't you buy it I mean I am accepting offers from $50:p

you just said you think all .au domains are worth $19.95 that maybe the case for an unregistered crap domain no one wants but it certainly isn't for names which your trying to sell if you believe they were you would be selling your names for $19.95 not $50..

and I think car auctions got pretty close to the value of 15k 15k exacts a month 15k seemed about right atm.

snoopy

Top Contributor

The worst I let drop. Do you think it is a bad sign that something like 40.com.au could be picked up for reg fee in 2002 and sold at break even 10 years later? That is a weak market in my view.

What I did pick up I spent a lot of research on at the time and the returns haven't been good compared to where the money could have gone. eg I could have bought a 3 letter .com for $200 which would be worth $3000 today or a nn.com for a few thousand which would be worth 10 times that now.

Keyword .com's are still selling for 10 times 2002 level despite the market halving from the peak.

Lostsuper.com.au I sold. Again it was a name with a fair bit of traffic.

snoopy

Top Contributor

That the thing, list on netfleet posting on forums you'll probably do badly, because there is simply no liquid market for .com.au aside from drops & the prices achieved are typically zero or terrible.

So the "solution" is seeking out endusers, that isn't really investing though, that is more like a job in my view. ie it is your time more than the domain bringing in the income. Nothing really wrong with it but the fact people need to rely on that method is a sign of weak names and/or a weak market.

DavidL

Top Contributor
The worst I let drop. Do you think it is a bad sign that something like 40.com.au could be picked up for reg fee in 2002 and sold at break even 10 years later? That is a weak market in my view.

No the domain sucks. Well not completely but it doesn't match the Australian market.

1) Has no search volume
2) Has no commercial angle (something which you always point out as being essential)
3) Is not an acronym for a business
4) Has brandable value if you get really, really lucky with an Australian business
5) Has some small scarcity value amongst investors

The usual 'com.au is worth 1/20th-1/50th of the .com' rule doesn't apply with numerics or brandables because they need a massive market to have any hope of getting really, really lucky.

PS - I also made the same mistake as you and grabbed a bunch of NNN.com.au's in 2008, based on values of corresponding NNN.com's. Got lucky with a few but generally it was a bad choice.

What I did pick up I spent a lot of research on at the time and the returns haven't been good compared to where the money could have gone. eg I could have bought a 3 letter .com for $200 which would be worth $3000 today or a nn.com for a few thousand which would be worth 10 times that now.

Short domains have 'scarcity value' - look at the LLLL.com boom. Values were inflated solely by domainers for no other reason than there were only a limited amount.

Australia doesn't have anough domainers to create this 'ponzi effect' so the domains that appreciate in Australia are those better suited to development or end-user sales. Like LostSuper.com.au or WeddingInvitations.com.au.

Keyword .com's are still selling for 10 times 2002 level despite the market halving from the peak.

Sure I'll take your word for it - I'm not as familiar with .com market as you. .AU domains didn't really change in value between 2002 and 2008-ish so the best time to purchase (with the benefit of hindsight of course) would have been around 2008. Paying renewals (which were a lot more expensive back then) inbetween 2002 and 2008 was just dead money really.

Lostsuper.com.au I sold. Again it was a name with a fair bit of traffic.

Congratulations. Mind me asking how much? Did you recoup reg fee?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Short domains have 'scarcity value' - look at the LLLL.com boom. Values were inflated solely by domainers for no other reason than there were only a limited amount.

Australia doesn't have anough domainers to create this 'ponzi effect' so the domains that appreciate in Australia are those better suited to development or end-user sales. Like LostSuper.com.au or WeddingInvitations.com.au.

There is lots of assets that are valuable because they are limited or unique, number plates, artwork, old coke bottles. That doesn't mean it is all a ponzi effect because those markets have stood the test of time. I'd say something like lll.com is in that category, there has been reseller value there for a long time. It is a sign of strong market when people collect for the sake of rarity etc. llll.com, the majority aren't rare which is why most are worthless.

By contrast the reason .com.au does really have a strong collectors market is because it is a weak extension for investing in. People don't really trust the market in terms of having to sell to other domainers etc.

Congratulations. Mind me asking how much? Did you recoup reg fee?

The buyer asked for non disclosure so can't say, it was a name I bought on the basis of traffic and as I said above those are the only type of names that have made a profit for me in .com.au.

neddy

Top Contributor
Snoopy, I don't know why you spend so much time and energy knocking the au market?

I think we all understand your point of view by now. I'm paraphrasing, but you hate it; it's crap; it's weak; gloom and doom; there is no liquid market etc etc ................

Surely you can put your time to better use?

If you don't like it, vote with your feet and leave. That way you can leave us positive people to our own devices.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I don't agree that a strong or weak collector's market is a reflection on the wider market. Definitely not on the direction the market's heading. It's more a reflection on the size of the market relative to the asset.

.com had a strong collector's market when values were plummeting for example.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoopy, I don't know why you spend so much time and energy knocking the au market?

I think we all understand your point of view by now. I'm paraphrasing, but you hate it; it's crap; it's weak; gloom and doom; there is no liquid market etc etc ................

Surely you can put your time to better use?

If you don't like it, vote with your feet and leave. That way you can leave us positive people to our own devices.

The record is broken. My view is that .com.au is only worthwhile for development, not domaining, that is where my time in going in relation to this market.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I don't agree that a strong or weak collector's market is a reflection on the wider market. Definitely not on the direction the market's heading. It's more a reflection on the size of the market relative to the asset.

.com had a strong collector's market when values were plummeting for example.

I think it is directly related, when values fall in .com so does the amount of people willing to buy just to collect, so disagree with what you've said. The collectors goes up and down with the overall market.

johno69

Top Contributor
Instead of whining that you cant sell names like swimming pool lights with a MFA site why not concentrate on things you can sell.

Please point out where i'm whining? I actually don't care if they sell or not. Just decided that I have 300 domains and most likely wont get to some projects before i'm 80.

Going to focus on a handful and going to stop registering the crap that I have been at times. Not complaining at all, but have just pointed out there's not as much value in these names as many seem to say there is.

I've had enough on this dribble anyway.. merry christmas.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Please point out where i'm whining? I actually don't care if they sell or not. Just decided that I have 300 domains and most likely wont get to some projects before i'm 80.

Going to focus on a handful and going to stop registering the crap that I have been at times.

Sounds like a good move.

neddy

Top Contributor
The record is broken.

It sure is - I'm glad we agree on something! :D

My view is that .com.au is only worthwhile for development, not domaining, that is where my time in going in relation to this market.

I think it is good for both. I'm a domainer (and not really a developer), and I make a good quid.

My admiration is unbounded for those that develop their names into great money making entities.

I'm trying to get into developing a bit more, but ultimately my business model will probably always be that of a domainer - buying; parking and selling. Rinse and repeat.

Apart from me approaching endusers on some of my domains, this week I have had eight enquiries on names. One came via a signature link here; the others from parking pages at Fabulous and Rook.

And as I have also said many times Paul, I am not alone. :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo