What's new

CarAuctions.com.au

snoopy

Top Contributor
You mean like oztion yeah I stopped using them when it turned to quicksales as did many other users however it was fairly popular and a good alternative to ebay,and made plenty of sales. it started long after ebay ;)

I've seen dozens of them advertised over the years on tv, can't remember any of the names.

snoopy

Top Contributor
this will be interesting as the old BS of $1 an exact is about to be ( has been) proven wrong, its about what the exact is worth.

there is no formula, its about what its worth to the buyer and what the other bidder has in the bank.

Wasn't this proven wrong a lot time ago, every day their is stuff with fairly solid exacts sells for very little, eg 1000 exacts, $50 type names.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I wonder how or if bidding will be affected because many people who follow the drops might just (rightly or wrongly) assume carsales will whack on a $200k proxy?

Of course in any auction, the sensible move is to just place a proxy for the absolute max you are prepared to pay, not one dollar more or less, then hope for the best.

But with this domain will people:

A) not bid at all because they think that haven't got a hope
B) bid higher than usual because they think they will have to go in extra hard to have any chance of beating carsales
C) bid higher just to piss carsales off!

One interesting thing would be if carsales didn't see the auction, someone grabbed it for market value (w/out carsales bidding) then flogged it to them at a later date (not that anyone would ever reg a name for the sole purpose of resale of course)

It is probably a waste of time. If the odds are low is makes sense to bid lower. Just do a very rough, low calculation. Bidding higher won't piss carsales off, it might piss of the the person bidding higher when they win though!

If you are truly worried about the effect carsales is having then don't let them bid.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Well that was a little underwhelming... $14k.

:p

What .com.au lately hasn't been? Weddinginvitations.com.au is about the only one I can think of that did better than expectations (primo quality name which deserves a strong price)

I'd say the market is clearly down and/or nowhere near the level most think it is at.

enjoi

Top Contributor
Domain Name carauctions.com.au
Last Modified 07-Nov-2012 03:06:31 UTC
Registrar ID Netfleet.com.au
Registrar Name Netfleet.com.au
Status ok
Registrant Carsalescom Limited
Registrant ID ABN 91074444018
Eligibility Type Company

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Domain Name carauctions.com.au
Last Modified 07-Nov-2012 03:06:31 UTC
Registrar ID Netfleet.com.au
Registrar Name Netfleet.com.au
Status ok
Registrant Carsalescom Limited
Registrant ID ABN 91074444018
Eligibility Type Company
I wonder how much THEY thought it was worth...

;)

James

Top Contributor
If a group like carsales who seem to have endless pockets, want names like this... why don't they just contact the owners of the domains "not being used" which they want... why take the risk at auction? - Or the risk of someone else contacting the owner and offering them less than they would have...

Cheers
Chumby

They do this for sure already, many domains have been picked up by them in recent years via private sales.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Yawn... will you be saying this for the next ten years like you have for the last ten?

You do know that .au domain names have increased by 138% in the last two years don't you?

http://www.netfleet.com.au/domain-sales-graphs

All I know is that most of the .com.au I try to sell are lucky to recoup reg fees, the exceptions are names with traffic. Prices paid at drops have gone up from a couple of years ago but that means little for domain holders because they can't sell at drop prices and there is no liquid aftermarket. The prices are still terrible for anything but the best. If you're name just went from $2 value if you dropped it to $4 that ain't saying much, especially when nobody will even pay you $4.

DavidL

Top Contributor
All I know is that most of the .com.au I try to sell are lucky to recoup reg fees, the exceptions are names with traffic.

Picked the wrong names? Wrong time (too early, perhaps)? But I also note that the only names you've tried to overtly sell are your weaker ones. So it's not exactly representative of your portfolio let alone the market.

Prices paid at drops have gone up from a couple of years ago but that means little for domain holders because they can't sell at drop prices and there is no liquid aftermarket. The prices are still terrible for anything but the best. If you're name just went from $2 value if you dropped it to $4 that ain't saying much, especially when nobody will even pay you $4.

Domains in general aren't as liquid as shares. Not just .au - look at the problems overseas. Massively hyped worldwide auction events are not doing too well either. (in fact I just Googled 'TRAFFIC results' and got a result from the 2010 auction with 9 out of 600 lots selling). But they are probably more liquid than things like fine art, licence plates, 1300 numbers etc.

Remember lack of liquidity doesn't make an investment a dud. Makes it harder sure but you can still make money.

neddy

Top Contributor
All I know is that most of the .com.au I try to sell are lucky to recoup reg fees, the exceptions are names with traffic. Prices paid at drops have gone up from a couple of years ago but that means little for domain holders because they can't sell at drop prices and there is no liquid aftermarket. The prices are still terrible for anything but the best. If you're name just went from $2 value if you dropped it to $4 that ain't saying much, especially when nobody will even pay you $4.

Quit your whining Snoopy. (Sound familiar?). ;)

If you think it is such a crap marketplace, then why don't you get out of it?

You're obviously doing something wrong - or it's not suited to your personality.

There is not a week go by where I don't sell at least one domain for a good return on investment. And I know of quite a few others in the same boat.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Picked the wrong names? Wrong time (too early, perhaps)? But I also note that the only names you've tried to overtly sell are your weaker ones. So it's not exactly representative of your portfolio let alone the market.

Too early, too late, the auction ended on Saturday, everybody forgot to bid. There is always some excuse.

The fact is these names haven't done well. Even solid sounding names are worth very little & the top end is stuff like $18k for credit.com.au & $14k for carauctions.com.au. The quite good sounding names are 2/3 figures and 99.5% is $0.

snoopy

Top Contributor
If you think it is such a crap marketplace, then why don't you get out of it?

Of the small amount of .com.au I own I've been scaling back what I see as names with low potential and only holding names with parking revenue or names I have immediate plans for.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo