What's new

CarAuctions.com.au

DavidL

Top Contributor
Car sales will be putting the money down, so they will blow everyone out of the water

Unless they happen to miss it - they have missed a few auto domains. But yes if they are bidding, they have very deep pockets.

15,000 Exacts
90,000 Phrase

So what do you think Erhan?

I hate to be first but I'll say $30K

snoopy

Top Contributor
Gut feeling is around 15k. Stats look good but somewhat weak advertisers, not really sure how this could be monetized for anyone other than a major auction house.

xwdomains

Top Contributor
Gut feeling is around 15k. Stats look good but somewhat weak advertisers, not really sure how this could be monetized for anyone other than a major auction house.

Yor kidding right?

EPN your own car auction website charge percent of sales like offline auction houses do etc:rolleyes:

although car sales will buy this anyway so it will just sit unused like thier other domains shame really

xwdomains

Top Contributor
Why would anyone list a car with such a site when they can go to pickles or ebay?

Would sit unused even if they weren't in it in my view.

There is a heck of a lot more auctions for cars then ebay and pickles greysonline allbids etc they seem to do ok.
Carsales didn't exists years ago now they have a good market share of the car sales market.

I would list cars on it if the fees were competitive ebay fees are costly if not using classified ads for high ticket items such as cars etc

I also said EPN although not easy to get into anymore have seen a few sites run a car classfied site using epn and can be lucrative.

findtim

Top Contributor
this will be interesting as the old BS of $1 an exact is about to be ( has been) proven wrong, its about what the exact is worth.

there is no formula, its about what its worth to the buyer and what the other bidder has in the bank.

yes carsales are going to kill this one, they don't miss these ones.... someone phones them :eek:

did i say a bad word?

180,000 exacts a year !

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
this will be interesting as the old BS of $1 an exact is about to be ( has been) proven wrong

It was never proven right was it?

Yor kidding right?

Maybe you can buy it and make it a sister site to your $8500 Online Television Shop Or was that $50?

It's all good in theory. But when you have to actually build it, you will see the real value.

I think this is a good domain for CarSales to grab, which they most likely will. Would be hard for anyone without either being an established auction house or/and have a very large budget to make anything of it IMO.

xwdomains

Top Contributor
It was never proven right was it?

Maybe you can buy it and make it a sister site to your $8500 Online Television Shop Or was that $50?

It's all good in theory. But when you have to actually build it, you will see the real value.

I think this is a good domain for CarSales to grab, which they most likely will. Would be hard for anyone without either being an established auction house or/and have a very large budget to make anything of it IMO.

Do you know what EPN is? not much of a budget would be needed to setup a EPN site nor would it really take a huge budget to set a online auction site.

what exactly has this thread got to do with HDTV which I am now selling for the domain only for $50 which going off stats is a bargain :rolleyes:

if you read my intro posts you would see I stated I have no idea about .au values at the time and was used to the .com market which hdtv sold for 1million:eek:

DavidL

Top Contributor
I wonder how or if bidding will be affected because many people who follow the drops might just (rightly or wrongly) assume carsales will whack on a $200k proxy?

Of course in any auction, the sensible move is to just place a proxy for the absolute max you are prepared to pay, not one dollar more or less, then hope for the best.

But with this domain will people:

A) not bid at all because they think that haven't got a hope
B) bid higher than usual because they think they will have to go in extra hard to have any chance of beating carsales
C) bid higher just to piss carsales off!

One interesting thing would be if carsales didn't see the auction, someone grabbed it for market value (w/out carsales bidding) then flogged it to them at a later date (not that anyone would ever reg a name for the sole purpose of resale of course)

Chumby

Top Contributor
If a group like carsales who seem to have endless pockets, want names like this... why don't they just contact the owners of the domains "not being used" which they want... why take the risk at auction? - Or the risk of someone else contacting the owner and offering them less than they would have...

Cheers
Chumby

johno69

Top Contributor
Do you know what EPN is? not much of a budget would be needed to setup a EPN site nor would it really take a huge budget to set a online auction site.

No idea. Ebay Partner Network? Electronic Product News? Electronic Payments Network? My google skills seem to be failing me on this one. Although my guess is you mean the ebay one.. so your business model is to be an ebay affiliate? yeah cool story.

what exactly has this thread got to do with...

You cleary have no idea about development and the costs involved or the markets you are talking about. But who knows maybe you are the Car Auction expert.. But I agree with snoopy. Unless you are already an established auction house or won last night's oz lotto, save your cash on this one.

I wonder how or if bidding will be affected because many people who follow the drops might just (rightly or wrongly) assume carsales will whack on a $200k proxy?

I get the feeling that the price will be somewhat inflated due to this knowledge.

If a group like carsales who seem to have endless pockets, want names like this... why don't they just contact the owners of the domains "not being used" which they want... why take the risk at auction?

As with cars.com.au I think they are actively seeking them out, but it's possible they haven't been able to make contact with some, and the fact this one is dropping shows maybe the registrant email was not active enough to look at the emails coming in, including renewal notices.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I hate to be first but I'll say $30K

Gut feeling is around 15k.
I was thinking around $25K.

Though it's definitely one of those domains, where in the right hands it's worth an absolute mint. Just need two parties who fancy the idea of becoming Australia's premier car auction house and we could easily be looking at $50K+

That said I think CarSales would be crazy not to have $100K proxy on this one. This domain is just too close to home and gives them room to grow/diversify (which is a big deal when you are a public company).

When you think about it how many cars go to auction each year - 100,000? 250,000? 500,000?

If you could win just 10% of that market share you would easily have a multi million dollar business.

Hell you'd have to think NetFleet/Drop themselves, with all their experience in online auctions would have to see some serious value in this domain and maybe a chance to broaden their own horizons...

;)

DavidL

Top Contributor
If a group like carsales who seem to have endless pockets, want names like this... why don't they just contact the owners of the domains "not being used" which they want... why take the risk at auction? - Or the risk of someone else contacting the owner and offering them less than they would have...

Cheers
Chumby

Because usually people want crazy money for it - at least in an auction you are paying market value. This domain was listed on sedo years ago - I actually made an offer on it but got no reply.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Carsales didn't exists years ago now they have a good market share of the car sales market.

It started in 1997 & I think was fairly heavily back by a lot of car dealers.

I would list cars on it if the fees were competitive ebay fees are costly if not using classified ads for high ticket items such as cars etc

I also said EPN although not easy to get into anymore have seen a few sites run a car classfied site using epn and can be lucrative.

Wouldn't matter if the fees were $0, if the site has a small pool of buyers the auction prices will be low and people won't use it. Look at other auction areas, constantly new players coming on the scene and they never really compete.

xwdomains

Top Contributor
No idea. Ebay Partner Network? Electronic Product News? Electronic Payments Network? My google skills seem to be failing me on this one. Although my guess is you mean the ebay one.. so your business model is to be an ebay affiliate? yeah cool story.

You cleary have no idea about development and the costs involved or the markets you are talking about. But who knows maybe you are the Car Auction expert.. But I agree with snoopy. Unless you are already an established auction house or won last night's oz lotto, save your cash on this one.

I get the feeling that the price will be somewhat inflated due to this knowledge.

As with cars.com.au I think they are actively seeking them out, but it's possible they haven't been able to make contact with some, and the fact this one is dropping shows maybe the registrant email was not active enough to look at the emails coming in, including renewal notices.

Your'e right I have no intention of bidding or opening a site dealing with car auctions and have little interest I was simply pointing out it indeed could be lucrative in the right hands.

what exactly is a big budget I have had sites built for under 3k

and web developments with cluster servers etc over 100k

xwdomains

Top Contributor
It started in 1997 & I think was fairly heavily back by a lot of car dealers.

Wouldn't matter if the fees were $0, if the site has a small pool of buyers the auction prices will be low and people won't use it. Look at other auction areas, constantly new players coming on the scene and they never really compete.

You mean like oztion yeah I stopped using them when it turned to quicksales as did many other users however it was fairly popular and a good alternative to ebay,and made plenty of sales. it started long after ebay ;)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo