What's new

2017 Board Elections

neddy

Top Contributor
The recent Grumpy campaign showed us that the only way members are going to be listened to by auDA is to get involved.

We have to orchestrate the change we want to see - and that action must continue by us electing 2 Demand Class Directors at the next AGM in a few months.

After much discussion between a lot of DNT and auDA Demand Class Members, Shane Moore and I have decided to stand for election to the auDA Board this year. There is an announcement on Domainer about this today (which indicates what we stand for).

Here are two of the bullet points:

Neither of us are in favour of direct registrations, and we will do everything possible to argue the futility of proceeding with them. There is simply no demand for them (other than creating artificial growth). Growth in the market should be created by liberalising some existing policy restrictions.

♦ But equally, should they eventually come to pass because the majority of the Board dictate this (after proper procedures and consultation have taken place), we will do everything to ensure that existing com.au registrants have first rights to the .au. More on this in a later article.​

We wanted to get out there now - and build momentum. I hope you will get behind us. :)

Ned

findtim

Top Contributor
speaking as a demand class member of auda you have my vote guys.
last year i honestly hoped that shane would be elected, members did a great job in almost getting him over the line and its great to see shane stand up once again for what he believes in. shanes successful online businesses shows he has the SME knowledge who are the largest stakeholders, the every day person who owns a domain.

there's no doubt neds experience in the industry would be an asset , he's been a mover and shaker helping australian businesses secure the domain names they want, he has been selected in the past for many panels and was approved to become the owner of drop.com.au and thus a registrar, nobody can deny this in-depth knowledge of the industry

ned is recognised as a significant contributor to the domain name industry of australia and i feel the collective knowledge of shane and ned will benefit all of the australian domain name owners should they be elected.

just in case you didn't know i'll put this in
Disclosure: i am an auDA Board Member - Demand Class, The opinions expressed here are solely my own as a member of auda (not as a Director), a domain name owner, and not of any organisation /company i am associated with.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
speaking as a demand class member of auda you have my vote guys.
last year i honestly hoped that shane would be elected, members did a great job in almost getting him over the line and its great to see shane stand up once again for what he believes in. shanes successful online businesses shows he has the SME knowledge who are the largest stakeholders, the every day person who owns a domain.

there's no doubt neds experience in the industry would be an asset , he's been a mover and shaker helping australian businesses secure the domain names they want, he has been selected in the past for many panels and was approved to become the owner of drop.com.au and thus a registrar, nobody can deny this in-depth knowledge of the industry

ned is recognised as a significant contributor to the domain name industry of australia and i feel the collective knowledge of shane and ned will benefit all of the australian domain name owners should they be elected.

just in case you didn't know i'll put this in
Disclosure: i am an auDA Board Member - Demand Class, The opinions expressed here are solely my own as a member of auda (not as a Director), a domain name owner, and not of any organisation /company i am associated with.

Tim, great to see you posting on topic. Post more.. get engaged again and speak up.Now is the time. You have the right to speak up and also address questions. You have experience and knowledge to share.

Don't worry so much about auDA stopping you.. they have enough on their plate and from what I hear Mondays auDA Board meeting will be a huge one...with auDA expected to come clean on some things sooner rather than later...

If you have a dissenting vote on things at the Board meeting make sure it is recorded like Erhan did about the minutes so you have the facts to support you.... Everything will come out. The media and government are now digging...as are some ex and current Directors and auDA ex and current Staff..

When the media starts asking for interviews or comments people better be prepared the facts support them. Especially on the .au direct registration and wholesale registry contract.....

neddy

Top Contributor
Things have changed for me - I'm no longer going to be standing as a Demand Class Director. I've made Shane aware, and he understands why.

Given the upheaval within Board ranks over the past 3 months, it is time for healing. There are many on the auDA Board that would see me as a divisive candidate / representative. A trouble maker; an agitator; a protagonist. Obviously I would reject that, and say that all I have ever done is stand up for communication, transparency and proper procedures at auDA. I love .au.

But by not standing, I take away all the heat.

As I wrote on Domainer today, there is another really good candidate ready to stand for Demand Class, and this helped seal the deal for me. Nicole Murdoch was going to stand for Supply Class (because Shane and I were running), but after chatting with her, she is very keen to run. Demand Class is her natural fit – she belatedly stood for election last year (and still attracted some decent votes). I’ve known Nicole since we served on the auDA 2015 Names Panel, and not only is she smart and competent, she is a straight shooter. Like me, she was a signatory to the Minority Report.

The last 5 months of agitation against auDA have also taken their toll on me personally and business wise, so I’m genuinely looking forward to getting back to enjoying life – and doing some business!

For all those that urged and supported me to stand, I sincerely thank you. But I trust you understand my reasoning in standing aside.

Ned

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Things have changed for me - I'm no longer going to be standing as a Demand Class Director. I've made Shane aware, and he understands why.

Given the upheaval within Board ranks over the past 3 months, it is time for healing. There are many on the auDA Board that would see me as a divisive candidate / representative. A trouble maker; an agitator; a protagonist. Obviously I would reject that, and say that all I have ever done is stand up for communication, transparency and proper procedures at auDA. I love .au.

But by not standing, I take away all the heat.

As I wrote on Domainer today, there is another really good candidate ready to stand for Demand Class, and this helped seal the deal for me. Nicole Murdoch was going to stand for Supply Class (because Shane and I were running), but after chatting with her, she is very keen to run. Demand Class is her natural fit – she belatedly stood for election last year (and still attracted some decent votes). I’ve known Nicole since we served on the auDA 2015 Names Panel, and not only is she smart and competent, she is a straight shooter. Like me, she was a signatory to the Minority Report.

The last 5 months of agitation against auDA have also taken their toll on me personally and business wise, so I’m genuinely looking forward to getting back to enjoying life – and doing some business!

For all those that urged and supported me to stand, I sincerely thank you. But I trust you understand my reasoning in standing aside.

Ned

Keep your domainer.com.au active. It was the only thing that saved auDA from completely being derailed over the last 18 months. What a bloody mess and at massive financial and personal costs to so many.

Most of it could have all been avoided by auDA and the auDA Board who actually created the mess to start with....But without the FOI'S, dntrade, some media, some people speaking up, domainer.com.au etc things would be totally stuffed.

Personally the failed and stupid "unanimous board decisions" mean a few Board members need to have a good look at themselves and what they didn't stand up against. Saying they did stand up at board auDA meetings but it not being on the minutes has exposed them also unfortunately. It makes it very hard for them to be trusted again when they go behind auDA meeting closed doors to make Agenda's, Minutes and Resolutions.

neddy

Top Contributor
Shane Moore has applied for the "casual vacancy" created by Dr Michaella Richards resignation on Monday.

At the recent Special General Meeting of members, the auDA Board acknowledged that in such an event, candidates should preferably be selected from the particular "membership class" that has become vacant. It was also suggested to them that they should look at who came 3rd in the last election.

Following that logical progression, Shane fits the bill in both instances. Let's hope that common sense prevails at auDA - and that they are indeed listening to their members.

Article on Domainer today.

findtim

Top Contributor
bacon thats worthy of a friday funny, i'll now switch to my wedding photography stories to add variety.

my apologies for the delay, due to directors availability its been delayed , hopefully this wednesday for a decision.
we can't forget that the directors do have businesses to run.
but if you'd like move an AGM resolution to increase our sitting fees to $10k a month i'm sure i can fix that.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
Great to see Nicole Murdoch put up her hand. Article on Domainer today.

I believe she would make a very good director and she is firmly against .au having been on the minority for the Names Panel 2015. She also seems focused on increasing the membership base which is much needed to avoid branch stacking (as opposed to the views of a certain CEO).

The 2015 names panel members were appointed to discuss direct registrations. I was a minority report member. Two years down the track, my position in that respect is unchanged – we cannot answer the question of whether .au should be opened up without considering how it should be opened up and what policy rules would apply

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member