What's new

2017 Board Elections

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Well well written post by Josh on the issue. Intresting that AUDA has removed a member once before.

The correct way of doing things,

https://www.auda.org.au/assets/About-auDA/Annual-General-Meeting/2003/agm2003-xm4.pdf

It might be interesting to see over the last 10 years how many Demand member registrations came from Supply entity IP addresses and how payments have been made.. where payments made by Supply related entities, any emails about payment of membership or any other forms of inducement for a vote?

It seems apparent several Supply entities have many related demand members signed up now to help their agenda.

Also is it possible these supply entities have offered their demand votes to a demand member auDA Board candidate for some form of vote on any issues which will be to the advantage of the supply organisations etc?

https://www.auda.org.au/assets/About-auDA/Annual-General-Meeting/2003/agm2003-xm4.pdf[

EXPLANTORY MEMORANDUM to and forming part of NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING of .au DOMAIN ADMINISTRATION LTD (auDA) to be held on 27 November 2003 at 10.30am at Hotel Intercontinental, Sydney

Agenda Item 4: TERMINATION OF GUY & ASSOCIATES' MEMBERSHIP OF auDA

Proposed Resolution: RESOLVED as a Special Resolution that the membership of Guy & Associates be terminated under clause 13.3 of the Constitution.

BACKGROUND AND EXPLANATORY MEMORANDUM Clause 13.3 of auDA's constitution permits auDA, in a general meeting by special resolution, to terminate the membership of a member if, amongst other things, the Directors of auDA resolves that a member may have been guilty of conduct detrimental to the interest of auDA or to the objects of auDA.

Guy & Associates is a Melbourne-based law firm, the principal of which is a Mr James Guy. Guy & Associates became a member of auDA on 8 August 2003, and Mr James Guy is its nominee.

On 10 October 2003, a member on the DNS list forwarded to auDA's executives, a copy of an email transmitted by Mr James Guy to that member, containing the following text:
I am standing for the Board of the Australian Domain Authority [sic] and need your vote. But to vote you need to be a member of the demand class.

I would love it if you or any other of your maters [sic] would register as a member with auDA at http://www.auda.org.au/about/membership-form.html

I am happy to pay the invoice for the $22 fee if you provide me with a proxy vote in my favour. The membership will be confirmed on around 10 October 2003.

According to the header information of that email, the email was transmitted at 19:00:08 hours on Wednesday 8 October 2003. Around this time, and over the next four days, approximately 50 applications for demand class members were received through auDA's web site. auDA presently has 61 demand class members.

According to auDA's computer logs, 40 of these applications were submitted from the same IP address. auDA has, through its solicitors Maddocks, written to all these applicants seeking further clarification about their application for auDA's membership. Of these applicants: 2 [951928/RJG/M0189909:3]

• One has confirmed that he received a similar email and a telephone call from Mr James Guy, and permitted Mr James Guy to use his name for the purpose of applying for membership. He did not submit his application himself, and assumes that Mr James Guy must have done so. He has since withdrawn his application.

• Another applicant has not previously heard of auDA, and was not aware that an application for membership of auDA has been submitted on her behalf. auDA has, through its solicitors Maddocks, written to Guy & Associates to seek an explanation from them about Mr James Guy's apparent conduct. Mr James Guy (for Guy & Associates) states that he has 'no recollection' of the email transmission, but has not formally denied transmitting the email.

The Board of auDA considers Mr James Guy's (and through Mr James Guy, Guy & Associates') conduct is detrimental to the interests of auDA and to the objects of auDA, and believe that such conduct ought not to be tolerated. For this reason, the Directors of auDA have formally resolved, under clause 13.3 of auDA's constitution, that in their opinion, Guy & Associates has been guilty of conduct detrimental to the interests of auDA and to the objects of auDA.

However, it is up to auDA's members to decide whether the conduct of Mr James Guy and Guy & Associates is acceptable. Accordingly, this special resolution has been proposed."

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Absolutely, this is the one that "made it all ok" in my view,

View attachment 470

And what have the Independent auDA Board Directors done about it or auDA themselves? Nothing!

Did auDA Board Supply member Ausregistry pay for their own staff and friend demand memberships?

How about auDA Board Supply Member Melbourne IT ( and entities) paying for their their associated entities, staff and friends demand memberships?

Lemon

Top Contributor
A reminder.
If you wish to VOTE at the next AGM you need to RENEW or APPLY for membership THIS WEEK to be sure that you qualify for the 3 MONTH cutoff rule before the AGM.

A right to vote is important and one of the only ways of having your say in the governance of auDA and the .au namespace.

findtim

Top Contributor
Did us voting last AGM achieve much? I mean apart from muzzling Tim.
this is NOT a go at you johno69.
membership is important, voting me in ( or it could have been shane ) was an important step in the right direction for demand class members AND auda.
as a director i must " act in good faith in the best interests of the company and for a proper purpose"
as per the auda Constitution "auDA will administer the .au ccTLD for the benefit of the Australian community."
thats the short version of the role and its a balancing act.

IMO if you aren't a member of auda, don't post about auda, so stay or become a member as Rome wasn't built in a day.
tim

Scott7

Top Contributor
as per the auda Constitution "auDA will administer the .au ccTLD for the benefit of the Australian community."

As a business owner who interacts daily with SMEs in the Australian community, what do you find to be their overall sentiment towards the introduction of the .au extension?

Scott7

Top Contributor
this thread is about membership , not auda business.
tim
That's the perfect politician's answer, Tim, and you certainly have become a consummate one. While it's a completely unsatisfactory answer for your constituents, I understand that it's the game you must play given your situation. It must take some serious self discipline on your part because you are one of the most outspoken people that anyone could possibly meet.

A prominent Victorian politician once told me that when it comes to media interviews you must never deviate from the script. No matter how many times they reframe the same question, you must repeat the same answer, word for word. Even if they tell you that they'll play the entire interview uncut and make you look like a fool, you must give the same answer. The one time you deviate from the script, that will be the seven second grab that is on the news that night. The one your Mum rings you about afterwards and says, "What on earth did you say that for? What were you thinking?"

DomainNames

Top Contributor
now back to membership ;)
Tim, Could you propose the auDA board and auDA considers the CIRA Membership model and update the forum on their response?
  • Free membership for all domain name registrants
  • Online board election forum and all candidate statements for Board elections are online with them participating in Q and A
  • Online voting for all members. 1 vote per member
  • Recorded, online live AGM's
Membership
https://cira.ca/membership/benefits

Board and Governance
https://cira.ca/about-cira/board-and-governance
Nominate for Board https://nominations.fluidreview.com/

The board of directors, comprised of fifteen members, manages the business and affairs of the .CA domain. Twelve of these directors are nominated and elected annually by CIRA members. The board considers pan-Canadian perspectives when managing .CA, and when representing Canada and the .CA registry internationally.

Meet the board
The CIRA board is made up of 12 elected directors and three non-voting board advisors. Find out more about the diversity of expertise on the CIRA board.

Join the board
The Internet belongs to all of us, and impacts every aspect of our lives. Find out how you can get involved. Become a board member, or participate in nominations and elections.

Compensation
As a member of the CIRA board of directors, you can influence the future of Internet in Canada. Elected CIRA board members are offered an annual retainer and a per-meeting fee.

Minutes and agendas
Read meeting agendas and minutes to find out how the board is working to shape the future of Canada’s Internet.

Election
https://cira.ca/board-directors-election

Board of directors election

At CIRA, we believe that Canadians have both the right to be informed about how the Internet develops, and a responsibility to act on it. Whether you use the Internet for work or play, you can influence the future development and direction of the Internet in Canada. Participating in CIRA’s governance is one way you can help build a better online Canada.

CIRA is governed by a board of directors comprised of 12 elected directors and three board advisors. Every year, a number of seats on the board become vacant and must be filled.

This year there are four board seats available:
  • 3 from the nomination committee slate
  • 1 from the Member slate
There are also up to six positions available on the nomination committee.

CIRA's election process happens in several stages, beginning with filling seats on the nomination committee in April and ending in an online vote in September.

From candidate applications to the final vote, the entire election process is held online. Find out how to join the nomination committee, join the board or support nominees and candidates.

findtim

Top Contributor
like others have done, simple submit your request to the board.
the thread is about membership, not about the "terms of membership"

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
Did us voting last AGM achieve much? I mean apart from muzzling Tim.
Paul, I could give you heaps of analogy's why becoming a member or renewing a membership is so important. e.g. your chances of winning Lotto are miniscule, but you'll definitely NEVER win if you don't have a ticket! ;)

Getting one Director elected means we have a toe hold. Getting another two elected will give us a decent platform and support for Tim. Look at Erhan - he tried for years to get elected before he switched from Demand to Supply and was then successful - and now he practically controls the joint! LOL!

Every vote we can muster is so important - whether it be a renewal or a new member. Imho.

snoopy

Top Contributor
As a business owner who interacts daily with SMEs in the Australian community, what do you find to be their overall sentiment towards the introduction of the .au extension?

They like it up until the point where you tell them they will have to pay for the extra domain, then they suddenly hate it!

Lemon

Top Contributor
Erhan is a director until 2018 so he will not be running.

I am thinking of running as a supply class director. demand class can stand as supply.
You can ask me anything you want.

within reason :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Erhan is a director until 2018 so he will not be running.

I am thinking of running as a supply class director. demand class can stand as supply.
You can ask me anything you want.

within reason :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hear a rumour Ausregistry / Neustar / Golden Gate George Pongas will not run this year?

Are you sure Demand class can run as Supply? Where is that written?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member