What's new

List Of EMD Ranking Top 3 In Google

aus11

Top Contributor
I would say it is a fair term to call it an EMD with a hyphen; but it is not an EMD. Just like a non-genuine part is not a genuine part; regardless of if it looks, performs and functions like a genuine part.

That is probably a better way of looking at it. :)

It's pretty clear that they place them in separate categories. Why would they do that if they were the same? It's because they're not and for good reason. If the true EMD is taken, I'll always go for prefixkeyword.com or keywordsuffix.com instead of a -.
But isn't that like saying the Ford Focus and the Ford Falcon are different cars, but they are both Fords? In the same way both the EMD and the hyphen EMD are both EMD - just different levels of quality?

But I agree, personally I would go for prefixkeyword.com over hyphen.

payattention

Archived Member
But isn't that like saying the Ford Focus and the Ford Falcon are different cars, but they are both Fords? In the same way both the EMD and the hyphen EMD are both EMD - just different levels of quality?

But I agree, personally I would go for prefixkeyword.com over hyphen.

How can you have different levels of quality for an EMD? It's either an exact match or it isn't. With a hyphen you've got issues of trust, people going to the wrong website (non hyphen), people linking to the wrong website (non hyphen) and a host of other problems.

To call both an EMD would suggest both versions are equal and nothing could be further from the truth, so it's obvious then that hyphenated domain names do not fit the EMD description.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
So going by your definition of the acronym you are saying that a search of 'spare parts Australia' is an exact match to 'sparepartsaustralia' ? Where as google treats 'spare-parts-australia' as 'spare parts australia' (which is an exact match to the search request)...If I'm going to be relying on google to bring me traffic based on their search parameters, then I think I would be looking at utelising that to its fullest potential for seo and capture purposes (not as a primary site), regardless of its low perceived resale value.

Afterall, apart from having 'presence' on the net for primary business purposes, I would have thought the point of a good 'online package' would be to bring in as much interest and new business as possible using methods / processes the potential customer would use to find me (not assuming that they already know who I am, what I do and exactly where to find me).

In addition to this it will depend on whether you are looking for a standalone site or a package that can be used to 'spread the net' (which is something a well known online service has been doing of late).

Thats my bit on this matter...theres no point in going around in circles. Like any property (physical or otherwise) its what you do with it that makes all the diference to its overall value to others, the value to yourself and ongoing return.
Jay

aus11

Top Contributor
How can you have different levels of quality for an EMD? It's either an exact match or it isn't. With a hyphen you've got issues of trust, people going to the wrong website (non hyphen), people linking to the wrong website (non hyphen) and a host of other problems.

To call both an EMD would suggest both versions are equal and nothing could be further from the truth, so it's obvious then that hyphenated domain names do not fit the EMD description.

You can have two blocks of chocolate that are of completely different quality, yet they are both chocolate. Obviously one would be of less value, but does it lose it's right to be chocolate because of this? :D

That being said, I definitely see where you are coming from.

We should get back to the topic of the thread. Here is a few more EMDs that are ranking top 3:

- Hotels.com
- Guitar.com.au
- BottledWater.org.au

payattention

Archived Member
Using your example - if given the choice, would you prefer to use sparepartsaustralia.com.au or spart-parts-australia.com.au?

I think your answer is predictable which is why I'm saying one is an EMD while the other is not. The keyword tool doesn't come into it nor does how Google treats hyphens. Forget about the keyword tool and Google for just a moment and give it some thought.

payattention

Archived Member
You can have two blocks of chocolate that are of completely different quality, yet they are both chocolate. Obviously one would be of less value, but does it lose it's right to be chocolate because of this? :D

The chocolate example is flawed because there is only one type of EMD and many types of chocolates. Going back to the car example, what you're effectively arguing is that a car (EMD) and a motorbike (hyphen) are the same because they both drive on the road (internet).

aus11

Top Contributor
Using your example - if given the choice, would you prefer to use sparepartsaustralia.com.au or spart-parts-australia.com.au?

I think your answer is predictable which is why I'm saying one is an EMD while the other is not. The keyword tool doesn't come into it nor does how Google treats hyphens. Forget about the keyword tool and Google for just a moment and give it some thought.

Firstly, I never mentioned Google or keyword tools, I just joined the conversation because I wanted to know the definition for what an exact match domain was.

From your example, you would be stupid not to choose the one without hyphens. I know understand where you are coming from and agree with it.

goldnugget

Top Contributor

I would get both, non hyphen as the primary (for obvious customer return reasons), hyphen for seo to support the first.

As far as Google...how can I forget google and how it treats search terms when that is most likely the primary driver of new traffic to my site?

When you go to google and you are looking for spare parts in australia, which version of the 2 would you type into the browser? That is the point where google decides what sites to bring up (assuming equal content quality), one would better 'exact match' than the other according to google which is who decides what to put where...not you (or me) as the domain holders.

payattention

Archived Member
Common sense would say you'd consider all things to be equal and then make a choice on the 2. You can't use an example that the hyphen has great content while the EMD doesn't in making a decision, that's stupid.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
So you'd run 2 of the same website?

No that would be a big no-no for both sites.

On the hyphen site I would have something industry related or informative with a familiar feel to the non-hyphen 'primary' site and make it clear that it is supported by the primary site (business) with a link to the primary site ...no other advertising, and no identical content to the primary site, treat it almost as a seperate page to the primary, but complementing it. That way keyword rich hyphen gets some rank on content (as well as the exact seach term in the domain) and drives potential customers, new or existing (if they couldnt remember the exact primary domain name for whatever reason) to my primary site that I otherwise could (would) have missed and no affect on the primary accessed directly by users.

A little more work, but a much wider capture range than just the primary site would get alone.

Late on the reply...quick storm just came through :(

This one is 1 on google local www.auto-auctions.com.au (No 4 general) for 'auto-auctions' and also 'auto auctions' ...suprise?? ( on topic ;) )
Jay

Last edited:

chris

Top Contributor
Not all are .com.au's, there are also few .org.au's. Not all are #1, but quite a few are.

Zoo
Baseball
Gold Coast
Fancy Dress
Spray Tanning
Plastic Surgery
Laser Hair Removal
Paintball
Gymnastics
Mountain Biking
Hiking
Bird Watching
Archery
Alarm Monitoring
Possum Removal
Ghost Tours

Cheers,
Chris

Top Contributor
I think it is obvious the EMD update is a multi word issue. If the EMD is low quality multi word..like "cheapusedcars", then you should be worried about what the EMD will do to your business, but if you have a one word cat. killer, then its obviously a different story..

Rhythm

Top Contributor
I think it is obvious the EMD update is a multi word issue. If the EMD is low quality multi word..like "cheapusedcars", then you should be worried about what the EMD will do to your business, but if you have a one word cat. killer, then its obviously a different story..

Nope.

cheap travel insurance .com.au

www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=cheap+travel+insurance

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Just did a 'teddy bear shop' search and the first three had 'The' preceding the search term, all from diferent states...and the order? .net.au at 1 , .com.au at 2, and .com at 3 and at No 4 was teddybear.net.au....so I think multiwords might still be doing okay.....as well as .net.au's :eek:

Top Contributor
Nope.

cheap travel insurance .com.au

www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=cheap+travel+insurance

I think you misunderstand what I meant.

CTI ranks for the term "cheap travel insurance", it doesn't rank for "travel insurance" or "insurance"..

It's impossible to say that 1 factor is the reason a given domain ranks in a 200+ search algo.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member