What's new

List Of EMD Ranking Top 3 In Google

findtim

Top Contributor
Isn't their business model paid directories? WeddingPlanner is showing a $400/year fee, and they seem to have quite a few premium directories listings.

I think the purpose of the thread was just to disprove the theory that EMD can no longer rank - not that they have to rank AND make money.

ok, it was just a suggestion, maybe i'll start a new thread " EMD's that make money" , hmmmmm, whats the point of ranking if you don't make money?

i can tell you just because they charge a $400 fee p/a doesn't mean they make money.

tim

aus11

Top Contributor
whats the point of ranking if you don't make money?

From my perspective, I am much more interested in seeing examples of websites that are of poor quality and probably shouldn't rank - but still do, as opposed to the massive websites that have a big brand around their EMD term (like News.com.au). We expect them to rank.

Backpackers.com.au is a great example. A simple one page site, 6 words of content (including copyright), and it still manages to rank. I know the PR4 probably has something to do with this, but I thought this was the type of sites Google would try to not include (no offence to Enjoi as I'm excited to see what he is creating!) as there is currently no benefit to visitors who click from form the search results.

i can tell you just because they charge a $400 fee p/a doesn't mean they make money.

Fair point... Kind of creating a perception to encourage potential new listings...

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
1. BeautyClinics.com.au
2. DryCleaner.com.au
3. FinanceBroker.com.au
4. HairSalon.com.au
5. PersonalLoan.com.au
6. CarLoan.com.au
7. Pharmacies.com.au
8. realestate.com.au
9. news.com.au
10. StockBrokers.com.au
11. bestflights.com.au

payattention

Archived Member
Hyphened domain isn't exactly an EMD. I don't really care what Google say about ignoring the -, they don't ignore it in the sense people seem to think so.

findtim

Top Contributor
Hyphened domain isn't exactly an EMD. I don't really care what Google say about ignoring the -, they don't ignore it in the sense people seem to think so.

what do others think? for THIS LIST can an EMD have a hypen? if it ranks number one i say yes

tim

Snooks

Top Contributor
We are talking EMD, no one said EMD without hyphons so i dont see why they cant be included.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
As a newbie, all this talk about EMD's and hyphens is doing my head in.

Using the adwords keyword tool 'car-loan' and 'car loan' (which are the same results) return more than 20 times the exact search matches to 'carloan'....so enlighten me how the hyphenated version cant be considered an EMD (in its raw definition Exact Match Domains).

Thanks

Jay

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
As a newbie, all this talk about EMD's and hyphens is doing my head in.

Using the adwords keyword tool 'car-loan' and 'car loan' (which are the same results) return more than 20 times the exact search matches to 'carloan'....so enlighten me how the hyphenated version cant be considered an EMD (in its raw definition Exact Match Domains).

Thanks

Jay

Do you speak the word 'hyphen' when saying a sentence?

Answer: No.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Do you speak the word 'hyphen' when saying a sentence?

Answer: No.

Obviously no, but if googles keyword search tool treats hyphens as spaces, and people type search queries with spaces, this makes them an exact match ..... no?

Last edited:

goldnugget

Top Contributor
What Jonathan said.

Thats all well and good, but it doesnt explain 'why'.

As a single word domain, the term 'exact' is obvious, but with 2 or more words there is no way that I can see something like 'best coffee in Melbourne' be deamed as an exact match to 'bestcoffeeinmelbourne' when anyone using a search engine would type it in with spaces from which googles own adwords tool (and assuming google search engine itself) treats hyphens and spaces equally.

If the statement is purely one of personal opinion, then fine, but from the outset it tells me the multiple keywords seperated by a hyphen are more an exact match domain than joined words which may mean nothing to a search engine....the only way around this would be the recognition of capitals to seperate the words eg 'BestCoffeeInMelbourne' which as far as I am aware this is not the case (happy to proven wrong).

No it may not be pretty from a core business sense, but capturing new clients, clickthroughs and redirects etc diferent story I would think.

Anyone else with views on this and why/why not hyphens (considered spaces by googles adwords) would be written off as non EMD's.

Jay

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
what do others think? for THIS LIST can an EMD have a hypen? if it ranks number one i say yes

tim

As a single word domain, the term 'exact' is obvious, but with 2 or more words there is no way that I can see something like 'best coffee in Melbourne' be deamed as an exact match to 'bestcoffeeinmelbourne' when anyone using a search engine would type it in with spaces from which googles own adwords tool (and assuming google search engine itself) treats hyphens and spaces equally.

If the statement is purely one of personal opinion, then fine, but from the outset it tells me the multiple keywords seperated by a hyphen are more an exact match domain than joined words which may mean nothing to a search engine....the only way around this would be the recognition of capitals to seperate the words eg 'BestCoffeeInMelbourne' which as far as I am aware this is not the case (happy to proven wrong).

No it may not be pretty from a core business sense, but capturing new clients, clickthroughs and redirects etc diferent story I would think.

Anyone else with views on this and why/why not hyphens (considered spaces by googles adwords) would be written off as non EMD's.

Jay

I think you're missing the point. What you're wanting to know is different from the question Tim asked, and maybe someone could chime in and answer that for you.

EMD's don't include hyphens.

aus11

Top Contributor
EMD's don't include hyphens.

Do you have a reference for this? I tried to Google a response and got conflicting responses.

One I did find was this from SEOMoz: http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/domain

While they say hyphens are not recommended, they have a graph in the post that says: 'Exact Match Domains' and 'exact match hyphenated domains'.

Which leads me to believe that SEOMoz classify domains with hyphens to at least be some form of EMD.

Thoughts?

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Do you have a reference for this? I tried to Google a response and got conflicting responses.

While they say hyphens are not recommended, they have a graph in the post that says: 'Exact Match Domains' and 'exact match hyphenated domains'.

Which leads me to believe that SEOMoz classify domains with hyphens to at least be some form of EMD.

Thoughts?

I don't have a reference but the answer lies in the acronym.

I would say it is a fair term to call it an EMD with a hyphen; but it is not an EMD. Just like a non-genuine part is not a genuine part; regardless of if it looks, performs and functions like a genuine part.

payattention

Archived Member

Jay

An EMD is exact match domain - not partial match, not near match, not really really close match. Exact match. That means it matches the exact search an individual makes. It doesn't matter if Google ignores the hyphen and for all we know, that could change in the future as it did with + after such a long period. I don't see how there is any discussion. Where do you draw the line on what is and is not an EMD? Is a domain with 2 hyphens still an EMD? Forget about Google ignoring the hyphen, there is more to a good EMD than that. You've got type ins and marketing to consider as well. Personally I discount emd.net emd.org as being true EMD's as well but that's more personal opinion.

Thoughts?

It's pretty clear that they place them in separate categories. Why would they do that if they were the same? It's because they're not and for good reason. If the true EMD is taken, I'll always go for prefixkeyword.com or keywordsuffix.com instead of a -.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member