What's new

here we go .UK

neddy

Top Contributor
But that individuals are not welcomed in .au is a travesty. I don't know how they measure individuals and business, but Afnic found when opening up .fr to individuals they accounted for 50% of registrations.

I am on the record many times (both here and on auDA panels) of advocating more deregulation. As are many other domainers; domain investors and associated parties.

And little by little, we are getting changes.

So on this I totally agree with you David.

findtim

Top Contributor
Obviously some don't see .uk as an issue for SEO. The European Domain Name Centre have posted an infographic saying how the transfer from .co.uk to .uk should be done, and with the hope of spruiking their services - see http://www.europeandomaincentre.com...-changing-your-website-s-domain-name-to-a-.uk.

And Tim - a yellow card? Gee, I'm quaking in my boots...

very informative infographic, now tell me how much that is going to cost EVERY SMB with a website to be completed ?

because they certainly don't know how to do it themselves.

thank you for proving my point.

tim

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Oh god. I don't know whether you read any of the information Tim but there is no compulsion to move everything to a new website. Potentially existing registrants can do nothing for 5 years and at the 4 year 364 day mark then pay for the .uk name, or do nothing and let it lapse.

I'm really struggling to see how much more simpler it can be. Sure, there are costs if one wants to change over. But look at say .at where second level registrations have been available since the early days - 97% of registrants choose .at, about 2% choose .co.at and 1% .or.at. And a few, but not many, register across two or more. But nic.at's research show hardly any bother. And the 3 2LDs have the same rules. All I'm saying is give people a choice.

Of course, you still ignore the injustice of how individuals are treated under .au. It's not big compared to human rights abuses, but it's something that should have been addressed.

findtim

Top Contributor
i do read and i see the propaganda.

or do nothing and let it lapse

so your competitor can get it ?

I'm really struggling to see how much more simpler it can be

so am i ! because you keeping agreeing with me

Sure, there are costs if one wants to change over

and more costs and

register across two or more
and

but it's something that should have been addressed

hindsight is the best sight.

as for the article you suggest it supports your view:

This is also a good chance for both established companies and newcomers to secure a catchy domain name that could be worth some serious dough in the future.

hang on ? lets give all the late-comers a chance

a registrant has to pay an administration fee in the amount of IDR 100,000 (US$9) and an acquisition fee for a minimum of IDR 1 million (US$85).

acquisition fee ! , $85 USD is big money in indonesia, thanks mate ! lets use this as a model for australia

"now available .au, $10 plus $300 acquisition fee "

it will be auctioned off to the highest bidder

thats what i am talking about

This domain acquisition has already been put through two phases

big deal, that just means they have had to chances to take as much money as they can

tim

Last edited:

Offtap

Without entering in to the personal registration debate, the furphy that .com.au is somewhat protected from internationals is ridiculous.

I've appointed out many times here that these overseas companies and individuals are extremely active in registering and buying .com.au's.

They neither have an ACN nor an ABN.

They register them through the trademark loop hole - registering completely nonsense trademarks and using those to justify their right to the registrar.

Examples?

Registrant: xxxxxxxxA LTD
Registrant ID: OTHER 1xxxxx7
Eligibility Type: Trademark Owner
Eligibility Name: xxxxxxxxA
Eligibility ID: TM 1xxxxx7

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
i'm on the fence about that, i think the ABN is a good way of stopping people from other countries coming in and creating problems, the ABN is kind of like a passport for domain name ownership.

tim

I see your point, but they could also go with local address requirements, but of course that's not too hard to get around either.

There will always be some way for overseas parties to register domains, for every roadblock there's a way around.

helloworld

Top Contributor
I don't understand why they didn't just give the .uk to the .co.uk owner. (Well I do $$$). And give people 3 years to move over with it being forced at 5 years. Pay attention please AUDA. That seems like the only way for a flawless victory.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
As a .com.au domain owner I'd love to just get the .au

As a .net.au domain owner I would love to have an equal opportunity and a fair go at getting the .au

findtim

Top Contributor
I don't understand why they didn't just give the .uk to the .co.uk owner. (Well I do $$$). And give people 3 years to move over with it being forced at 5 years. Pay attention please AUDA. That seems like the only way for a flawless victory.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS, work with the search engines years in advance, tell them we are dumping the .com.au, give everyone the .au and be done with it.

GIVE the domain to the .com.au owner ( Rhythm i'll reply to you next )

NOTE: its still going to cost the SMB etc a great cost of transition.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
As a .com.au domain owner I'd love to just get the .au

As a .net.au domain owner I would love to have an equal opportunity and a fair go at getting the .au

please take this kindly as its for everyone not just you:)

as a .net.au owner i have to ask was it your FIRST choice? i'd say no.

do you own any domains that you have registered as a .net.au WHEN the .com.au was also available? i'd say no

do you have a 20 year old domain name .net.au because people thought back then THAT was the right thing to do? i'd say no

its VHS v Beta, and .com.au won, now everyone is complaining that they picked the wrong team.

HOW many people went looking for .net.au domains for handreg and then saw that the .com.au was also not taken and said " you know what ! i think i'll just register the .net.au i'll leave the .com.au for someone else":eek:

now we are off track, back to .au only.

so i will say it again. 1st i don't want just .au unless its GIVEN to the .com.au owner, 2nd the .net.au owner has no rights to it, 3rd the option of an auction is UTTER BS IMO

i will give ONE concession: if the .net.au was registered prior the .com.au being registered and has remained with the original owner since, then they should have the option uncontested as they may have been under the assumption at the time that the .net.au was the right thing to do.

this is just my opinion, its not stating opinions as facts.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
Correction: VHS and Beta both lost.

you didn't answer my questions?

i know you are busy so just answer this one

did you go looking for .net.au domains for handreg and then saw that the .com.au was also not taken and said " you know what ! i think i'll just register the .net.au, i'll leave the .com.au for someone else"

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members