What's new

here we go .UK

petermeadit

Top Contributor
Applauding forum members for remaining objective. For those who are getting personal please refrain from doing so. Please remember to stick to the topic so we can have reasonable discussion.

Regardless of being labeled domainers or worse, entrepreneurs... (joke. better to have no labels anyway) I do believe, from past threads, that most members here respect auDA policy regardless of weather everyone agrees with it.

Everyone in the Web related industries should be concerned with these new name space releases. Those making policy would consider how it impacts both supply and demand. It could trigger massive changes one way or another.

Does it really make sense?

These are some of the ideas I would like to keep in mind if I was to nominate for any position.

Surely we need a balanced perspective and consider what is really important for our industries rather than clash of personalities.

Lets maintain a problem solving approach.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
Tim, this is a good discussion. Let's keep things on track.

You're working with a lot of businesses and building websites, what are the issues that you see? What is the feedback when you hear when you talk about opening up .au?

well there's no feedback ! until i let them know whats going on, thats the issue, i'm not going EGO here but if they didn't have me ( or someone like me ) they would be screwed in the near future.

once i tell them then their issues are:

MONEY:
- paying to redo business cards, brochures etc
- wasted branding of their .com.au
- being FORCED to purchase another domain to protect what they have created
- confusion, is it .com.au or .au, so they need both
- more SEO costs
- do they produce a new domain? do they keep the current one?
- will duplicate content effect them?
- my fees, to sort out the redirects.
- my fees, what will google do?
- my fees, which do we go with
- my fees, managing transition and keeping the current SEO results.

these are all items being sort out by .co.uk businesses no doubt.

covering their investments into the domain world is the bottom line, they have business cards, brochures, posters, multiple domains, history, branding of the .com.au on TV and Radio.

Some would think that i should rub my hands together at the prospect of increased income from sorting all this out for my clients, invoicing them constantly for whatever needs to be done, this just isn't me.

so they just can't switch to .au , their ONLY choice is to have both, thus double their costs ( if the new one ONLY comes in at the same cost as the present .com.au )

the .uk system is rubbish.

when australia changed from a phone number of 066 86 5555 to 02 6686 5555 nobody paid a penny for it, they did pay a HUGE in signage and business card throw outs :eek:

its really a simply point, if auda said they will do this and a longevity clause would apply then any dropping domain that had a .net.au already registered would make the .com.au worthless thus crushing NF and Drop IMO. Then ALL domain name owners not just domainers would have to evaluate their positions based on the date of registration.

what i dislike is that there is even the thought of this happening and NOBODY has presented a suitable solution to the issue except for me IMO.

1) just don't do it
2) if you do then .au goes to the owner of the .com.au at no cost
3) keep reading points 1 and 2 until it sinks in

its pretty simple, .com.au and a .au can NOT exist together, just like a .co.uk and a .uk can not, i struggle to see any argument in that statement.

a move to .au needs to be a TRANSITION not an ALTERNATIVE and the transition is from the .com.au owner to being the new owner of the .au

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
And so yes, this is a forum of domainers.

WRONG, we covered this last year david, ahhh last time you posted i think.

DNT is a community of MANY forms, it probably started as a domainer environment but has grown to many facets of the online community.

i for one have only ever sold 2 domains and they were from inbound calls which went to the right business in my view which i felt they could develop them further then i could, ( and we still keep in touch which is nice ) i've always stated i buy to develop, we all know others that work mostly in the SEO are.... BIG players for SEO information which DNT members get benefit from, lawyers that protect our rights to own and develop online businesses, web designers , graphic artists etc.

What you probably don't see on DNT is the background, the communication that goes on between members via PM, my contacts with graphic artists, communication with other developers.

So once again to tar us with the same brush is wrong, there is a lot more going on within the DNT community that you don't know about and a great deal is not domaining.

so everything you write here is being view by a wide cross section of the industry.

proof is in the pudding

1254 threads, BUT 11412 views

tim

Offtap

lol - kind of hilarious sidetrack of this topic. Especially given I am a demand class member of AUDA.

findtim

Top Contributor
lol - kind of hilarious sidetrack of this topic. Especially given I am a demand class member of AUDA.

i think the sidetrack is about we all should have a say and just because the conversation is on dntrade it doesn't mean you are a domainer, fact is even the dubbo dentist can be a member of auda.

tim

and a member of dnt

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Sorry findtim, you've got it all wrong. Again.

Nominet have given registrants 5 years to decide of they want to keep a .co.uk and/or .uk domain. So in 5 years most companies will redo, or at least reprint stationery, business cards and most other things. If there are significant other expenses, keep both domains.

I find it hard to believe you have a sustainable business given your lack of knowledge on how the industry works.

Anyway, after or at the same time, there could be decisions on what to do with .com.au. Open it up to foreign registrants, tighten it up to suit small business something like the rules use to be, left as is... If it was opened up to foreign registrants, it would be a boost to domainers. If it was tightened up and existing rules were grandfathered, then the second level domains will come into their own quickly. There are a myriad of options of how to go about it. So in reality there probably should be something like the republic referendum should have been. First, a question about should change happen, and then consult on how the change should come about.

Of course, there are issues about eligibility for second level registrations as well.

I'm yet to see anyone find any examples of around the world that show it was a bad idea. All I see examples of are registrants quickly embrace the change.

findtim

Top Contributor
All I see examples of are registrants quickly embrace the change.

all i see are registrants being forced to comply.

I find it hard to believe you have a sustainable business given your lack of knowledge on how the industry works.

hmmm, 1/7/14 marks my 14th year making money online and helping other SMB's make money online, totally 100% income from the net so not just a sideline, not many businesses make it past 5 years.

maybe you are just getting my insatiable personality ?

how the industry works

NO, its how the king and queen want it to work.

who has the most to gain, certainly not the dubbodentist

tim

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Don: Do you think I really care if you like me or not?

FindTim: I've got no idea what you wrote mostly. But who gains? Registrants. Read the information Nominet published on their research.

Neddy: It's pretty difficult dealing with fools. Honey won't help!

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Sorry findtim, you've got it all wrong. Again.

Neddy: It's pretty difficult dealing with fools. Honey won't help!

David, remarks like this are not helpful.

Resorting to personal attacks is not going to help your argument, but it's a very effective way to lose respect and credibility.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Demonoid: It's pretty hard to take seriously people like Findtim. I've seen the attacks from at least some on this list from those that are normally outside when they venture to put a toe in. But maybe it's just an outspoken minority that are not welcoming.

Another point nobody has addressed, and which I've raised several times here, is how to deal with individual registrants. All the arguments against second level registrations, for one, aren't based on international experiences. I'm not saying it's as simple as flicking a switch. Far from it. But that individuals are not welcomed in .au is a travesty. I don't know how they measure individuals and business, but Afnic found when opening up .fr to individuals they accounted for 50% of registrations.

petermeadit

Top Contributor
I would like to congratulate those who have remained objective here, and resisted the urge to get personal.

To those who are making personal remarks, may I please remind you that this forum is built on a diversity of interests. We come from varied backgrounds and we represent a variety of the Web industries. From domain investors, to web developers and designers, to SEO professionals, through to registrars and web hosting companies to name just a few here on DNTrade.

We would like to maintain a level of respect and professionalism and please remember to have discussions with respect. So that this continues to be a place for a mature discussion.

It would be better to say nothing, than to pipe in with the personal attacks.

Let's ALL make the effort to keep things professional please.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
But that individuals are not welcomed in .au is a travesty. I don't know how they measure individuals and business, but Afnic found when opening up .fr to individuals they accounted for 50% of registrations.

I would also like to see deregulation of the .au space to allow individuals to register domains. If someone wants to have their own .com.au domain for email or a personal blog - why should they have to register an ABN?

findtim

Top Contributor
I would also like to see deregulation of the .au space to allow individuals to register domains. If someone wants to have their own .com.au domain for email or a personal blog - why should they have to register an ABN?

i'm on the fence about that, i think the ABN is a good way of stopping people from other countries coming in and creating problems, the ABN is kind of like a passport for domain name ownership.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
your comments are water off a ducks back david even though i think it deserves a "yellow card"

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members