What's new

here we go .UK

findtim

Top Contributor
this will be interesting to watch

Offtap

Need to read the fine print Tim. Its a bit of a balls up really.

I actually like these .uk domains and beleive they will be worth investing in ...

BUT

The existing .co.uk domain generally has the rights to the .uk

So although the domain shows available and registrable, the owner of the .co.uk has 5 years take take up his right - yep you read correctly 5 years!!!

It a complete shambles. So when you try and register loans.uk and is says "available" - be prepared to wait 5 years to find out you didn't get it.

I spent $x,xxx yesterday for over 400 domains which are more or less a long range bet - the hope someone is too stupid to spend $49 to stop competition for their own domain.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one, but you have to hope the registering company doesn't go broke in the intervening 5 years.

http://www.dotuklaunch.uk/im-existing-customer
http://www.dotuklaunch.uk/im-new-customer-how-do-i-get-one

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Actually, my understanding is that they will just cancel those orders (if terms were already registered in .co.uk) - because the registrant name must match the party that's entitled to the .uk equivalent.

This is not a play for investors right now, because all the good terms are long gone in .co.uk and those registrants are entitled to the .uk domains matching those terms.

Offtap

Well that may or may not be true, because as I read it:
"If at any time you decide not to renew your existing domain, the .uk equivalent will automatically become available for someone else to register."

Therefore if someone confirms they are not taking up the .uk, then it becomes insta-available on first come first served basis.

I can confirm all mine are still pending over 24hours later - so they haven't cancelled them yet.

findtim

Top Contributor
i'm a little SUS on this, crazy domains send me an email and i click on it where i can register a new .uk domain

crazyD says i can register travel.uk , creditcards.uk

hmmmmm, i can even register them for 10 years

does anyone else smell a rat? take my money and then tell me in five years time oppps you didn't get it but no refund.

offtap: i'd be interested offtap if you have any access to start developing the domain names you purchased as i would want them online RIGHT NOW.

Demonoid: i've done some other research and i do think it is possible that this will slip past some businesses, i've already found 1 which i am pretty sure will even given the 5 years but my concern is many people paying for the domains only to have them taken at the last minute by the rightful owner.

it really is a flip of the coin for a non england business person.

if offtap can answer my question i might waste crazyD's $9 on one just to see what happens, i'd be wanting to host and delegate and have a homepage right away, if thats not possible then i see it as a waste of time and money.
tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
"registrant data of the .UK domain must match the corresponding registrant data from the eligible 3rd level .UK domain" that's from a domain registrar site.

I'll find the text from the main .uk registry site when I get home, it did mention cancellation.

It's a shambles at the moment, the ones reserved for 5 years should not show as available, because the reality is they're not.

Offtap

No Tim - the order stays "pending approval"

My guess, and I'm trying to have it confirmed, is that you literally all line up on a first come, first served basis behind the person who has the rights.

If they confirm they will not take up the right, or 5 years goes by; then the first person in the line will be granted the domain.

To be honest. The whole thing is a little ******ed. I have no idea why they are showing these as available when they clearly are not.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
here is the REAL problem ,
http://content.screencast.com/users...2d-4a3f-a7af-f24294951729/2014-06-12_1647.png

why on earth in the future will i want to register a .co.uk

people holding large portfolios of domains will be dumping them i feel.

tim

Their plan will be based on the assumption that market expansion across the increased number of offerings, will exceed the effect of .uk 'cannibalising' existing (.co.uk) offerings.

On the balance, I think their assumption will be right, but yes there will certainly be an impact on .co.uk registrations over the long term.

Many businesses will want both for brand protection though.

findtim

Top Contributor
Many businesses will want both for brand protection though.

thus a "money grab" or should we say a "5 year money grab ending in a HUGE campaign in the 5th year to promote it" kinda like a .net.au for a $1 or the private health care companies with the 2% tariff advertising.

99.9% of my life is actually spent in positive mode not negative, but if this comes to australia because of UK success based on fear mongering of the protection threat thus doubling the cost to not only domainers but everyday small businesses we are all screwed.

i truly hope i end up being wrong.

tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
No Tim - the order stays "pending approval"

My guess, and I'm trying to have it confirmed, is that you literally all line up on a first come, first served basis behind the person who has the rights.

If they confirm they will not take up the right, or 5 years goes by; then the first person in the line will be granted the domain.

To be honest. The whole thing is a little ******ed. I have no idea why they are showing these as available when they clearly are not.

Sorry to say it, but having looked into this more - I think it's very unlikely you'll get to keep the domains which others have rights to.

From the registry website (http://www.dotuklaunch.uk/faq/how-will-it-work):
"My domain name is eligible for the ‘free reservation period’ but I am not interested in registering it

If your domain name is eligible for the .uk equivalent, but you don’t want to register it, no one else will be able to register it in the five year reservation period. But once the five years are up, the domain will become available to anyone who wants to register it."

One of the reasons your domains haven't been cancelled already could be that cancellations were temporarily put on hold (now resuming):

The process for registration is mapped out here:

The process map suggests that it's only a matter of time before your domains are cancelled (if another person currently holds registration rights).​

More details on process here (lots of technical stuff):

findtim

Top Contributor
i know i now seem to be a bull at the gate on this but the domainers in the UK have let this happen IMO through no action.

ohhh look , i can also buy creditcards.uk from namecheap.com

NOTE, it says " this domain is available " when in reality it isn't.

------------

as the starter of this thread please feel free to post anything you know about this as i think its going to be a long thread

tim

Offtap

I spoke with a contact at a registrar in the UK and they said that the order could stay in the system for 5 years.

The thing is - the domains become available if the rights owner denounces his right or does not take up the offer.

That means we have no way of knowing if they have denounced their right, other than putting in an order sporadically to check.

Most likely though is all will be picked up, and there will be a few premium coming up available in 5 years through people losing contact, dying, going broke, etc.

So a pretty big drop day in 5 years.

Although, I did get told there might be the ability to backorder these?

The best tactic would be to approach the rights holder to see if they sell.

findtim

Top Contributor

i think once you alert them you are dead in the water.

either they go register or want a stupid price.

tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I spoke with a contact at a registrar in the UK and they said that the order could stay in the system for 5 years.

The thing is - the domains become available if the rights owner denounces his right or does not take up the offer.

That means we have no way of knowing if they have denounced their right, other than putting in an order sporadically to check.

Most likely though is all will be picked up, and there will be a few premium coming up available in 5 years through people losing contact, dying, going broke, etc.

Although, I did get told there might be the ability to backorder these?

Ok, so essentially what they're telling you is that it's a 'pre-purchase backorder' service... with the results to be determined in 5 years (possibly sooner if some of the rights holders let their corresponding domains expire).

Will they monitor for early expiration and the final availability in 5 years?

This is all seems a bit unusual and doesn't really mesh with the stated policies and processes that I've seen for .uk.

Best of luck though, I hope it all works out! Sometimes taking a punt pays off :D

findtim

Top Contributor

ok, so being nice here, just want to understand :)

45 people pay $9 across MANY domain registras to purchase creditcards.uk and somehow creditcards.co.uk don't register it so it then goes to the first purchaser ? how on earth is that going to happen ?

then are 44 people going to receive a refund of 5yrs x $9 out of the pure grace of god from the registra?

it won't be a drop-day, it will be an on-sale day

so YES, its basically a 5 year back order system IMO

easyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for registras especially when they show " available "

so caveat emptor everyone

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads