1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Government Slammed in Parliament over .AU proposal

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by snoopy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Lemon

Lemon Membership: Trader

My impression is that what was said is that you would be eligible for the 2LD after the cut off if your name was not contested.
    Maybe I'm wrong.
    Nothing is set in stone and the date was only a proposal. Maybe they will go with .au to .com.au owners.
    Personally I don't think the PRP has worked it out yet. Hence the forum and hopefully more to come.

2. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Judging from recents posts he may run in supply! That is what you do when you can’t get in via demand.

3. Lemon

Not sure if my calculator works correctly.
    3 million x $10.
    $30 Million ?????

4. snoopy

I would say the average business is paying well over $10 per year. If you double that and look at 500,000+ names over 20 years it is hundreds of millions that business will be unnecessarily charged to protect existing brands.

DomainNames likes this.
  5. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

Are you sure you're not confusing the average business with the average domainer

Because you seem to get .comfused a lot when it comes to typing domain names

Lemon likes this.
  6. Lemon

Obviously you do not run a business.
    I pay tax annually (actually it is usually quarterly), but then I actually run a business and pay my taxes.
    The funny thing about tax is that for a business you can claim it back as an expense.
    My accountant probably makes more money from doing my accounts than I pay in tax.
    But hey it's all about having a good accountant.

7. Bacon Farmer

Bacon Farmer Membership: VIP

Sounds like you have a very small business or a very rich accountant.

Please post links to top 10 smallest businesses and top 10 richest accountants so we can verify.

8. snoopy

What does your tax situation have to do with my post?

9. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

How many current auDA Director's have the real details and facts of the true level of support for .au direct registrations?

Taking out the previous rigged small surveys, rigged loaded questions, Yes propaganda from some Supply parties wanting to make more money even at the expense of the possible damage and "devaluation" to the existing .au name space and existing registrants?

Deloitte told Cameron Boardman in December 2016 when doing their report there was "no business case for it".

There are of course people who no longer are on the auDA Board who still want to push this through.

People need to ask why do they want it? How much will they personally make? Will get any bonuses?

Will their company share price go up or this makes good reading on their investor presentations and this is why they are pushing so hard?

How factual have their claims and information been so far?

What did they do to Yes only vote stack surveys and emails to auDA?

Why do they seemingly ignore all of the lawyers including from some of Australia's largest companies who have lodged previous submissions with facts of no real demand, extra costs, problems with implementation, yes vote rigging, conflicts of interest, creates confusion in an already string reputable .au name space with many available extensions and hundreds of millions more name options available still in the current .au name space etc.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    snoopy likes this.
  10. Lemon

Maybe the quote should be
    "AUDA has not consulted with business on $300 mill .AU tax over the next 20 years"

11. Horshack

Horshack Membership: Community

When you currently have people paying $150 for 2 years when they can register a domain name elsewhere for $25 for the same period, I don't think cost is a major issue. It's a tiny cost for any business.

Cheyne, Lemon and Rhythm like this.
  12. Bacon Farmer

Bacon Farmer Membership: VIP

That's poor logic.

If some people pay lots then it's a tiny cost for any business?

You also neglect to consider all the other issues.

snoopy and DomainNames like this.
  13. DomainNames

The plans of an 'open .au' currently being peddled by some people will see massive potential fraud.

People may push this in for individuals and then what? Who will watch it? auDA? I doubt it... Registrars, auDA etc all still make money on the dodgy registrations..

An offshore entity using a pending trademark application could in reality go and register a lot of the proposed .au extensions and use them for fraud... This WILL happen.

Check this out and stand by for a lot of deleted .uk domains used for fraud!
    Panama corporation owns nearly 54,000 dot-UK sites
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/15/hmrc_domain_typo_squatter_drs/

14. joshrowe

joshrowe Membership: Community

The $300m .AU domain tax is an under estimate. Here’s why:

From: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6375139129440628736

$90m: potential defensive registration costs for 3m domains x $30 each

$200m: potential legal costs for contested domain names 100K domains x $2,000 each (very low estimate).

Total = $290m

Not estimated are potential costs for
    - changes to retail signage
    - changes to printed and digital marketing material
    - re-education (marketing) of customers on new .au extension
    - changes to technology
    - changes for SEO for Google ranking
    - and more

snoopy likes this.
  15. DomainShield

DomainShield Membership: Community

Potential, such a powerful and misleading word. There is also a potential of zero costs.
    Both of these are absurd extremist views being used for click bait.
    Calling it a tax is inaccurate and like all hyperbole then damages the rest of your message as no one can tell when you are being literal again.
    So the way I see it you get the click, you get the view and then your message is lost as the facts don't add up.

I would not argue with this number. I do worry that because of the two preceding statements are inaccurate this one gets lost.

"Look the damn lawyers and politicians are going to get rich", click click
    Not being forced on anyone, can literally keep using their .com.au/org.au/net.au. In 10 years once the sign fades and they order a new one they can decide to change it.
    Not a forced changed, no one taking away their current domain, if they chose to adopt it they can do so when convenient
    What on earth makes you think anyone is taking away their existing domain name?
    Um, you might need to elaborate on this one
    Is it fair to say that this list is losing momentum here? Once again no forced change, change is optional, most people can just stick to business as usual? Those who chose to embrace the change and use it to their benefit will need to invest in making the change BUT it is not being forced onto anyone!
    Do you have any examples which don't rely on the premise of them losing their .com.au domain name?
    Do you have any examples where a company which is not using a generic terms for their benefit is going to be affected by more than $150?

Lemon and Rhythm like this.
  16. snoopy

No there isn't.

The $300million is likely in my view given people will be a having to keep renewing to protect their brands.

17. Rhythm

Deductions

Lemon likes this.
  18. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    deductions !

what a lame arse reason to justify a cost, firstly a deduction means a payment, secondly a deduction is only a % of that cost, thirdly any good business knows that reducing costs is better then SEEKING deductions.

tim

19. Rhythm

Nobody is being forced to buy the .au nor forced to rebrand

So all these businesses have to do to reduce costs is:

Nothing.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  20. DomainNames

The same spin.. .. Laughable but expected.

auDA and Supply know a % of forced defensive registrations will take place. Last week someone in Supply at a Registrar said me their minimum projection is 25% will be defensive registration extra income for them, auDA and others.

It has most probably been on numerous companies projections.

Why do you think auDA.au has been already put on the "reserved list" and they also wanted Registry.au reserved for themselves next they may want DomainNames.au reserved for themselves etc...

If you can reserve it and get it free for yourself you see the issue.... no problems for auDA... By being in a position to make the rules to benefit themselves this is where things go deeper.