1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Government Slammed in Parliament over .AU proposal

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by snoopy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    the council just told me a decision was made that they sold my backyard ! there's a new house being built on it, thankfully they have told me all i have to do is
    Nothing.
    tim

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Bacon Farmer and DomainNames like this.
  2. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

I know auDA and supply side are trying to run this argument but it is a nonsense because defensive registrations is all about selling people names they don't particularly want or need.

The model is letting people know that if they don't buy the name which represents their brand it will be sold to someone else, potentially a competitor. The keyword is "defence".

DomainNames likes this.
  3. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

Bad Analogy

4. snoopy

This sounds like a bad one, making the rules different for themselves compared to everyone else. No way is auDA willing to partake in whatever nonsense method the PRP thinks up, it is good enough for everyone else though.

DomainNames likes this.
  5. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

Oh and Council and the realestate agents are advertising that new house will have a better view than mine and be better.

6. DomainNames

Great Analogy

7. Rhythm

If you don't want nor need something you don't buy it.
    I'm pretty sure that is how it goes - I could be mistaken.

The keyword is "risk management"

8. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
  9. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Now Tim and I are not in cahoots on this thread, and given I'm an auDA Director these days, normally I wouldn't comment.

But I wrote this article on Domainer 2.5 years ago (long before I became an auDA Director), and it goes to what Tim is saying.

There are also some interesting comments from Brett Fenton (Melbourne IT). He is currently a member of auDA's Policy Review Panel.

DomainNames likes this.
  10. snoopy

Not in the domain world. A lot of it is about selling things nobody actually wants or needs, especially with new tlds.

DomainNames likes this.
  11. DomainNames

Some people want to "push this through"... They really do not like the history and facts the process has been flawed to date. They hate us asking questions.

Now we know the facts of the poor .uk and poor .nz results we are lucky this was thought about more even.

Maybe Australia should be the country that keeps what we have and makes it even better instead?

auDA and supply to promote .com.au, .gov.au, .edu.au, .org.au etc etc? That will increase your numbers! People know these and trust them. They are proven

3 million com.au registered compared to 180 million .com? Plenty of room left for people to get a good .com.au name, names dropping daily, aftermarket etc.

Claims the shorter is better is rubbish. It will add to confusion. Exrensions are segregated for a reason and this works. The general public understands, knows and trsusts it.

Shorter is better has not proven to be the case in the .uk and .nz.... even when they gave them away FREE ( .uk) !

Find the first website in google in both extensions using a .nz or .uk. What does Google use for themselves? If it was better wouldn't they use it?

12. Rhythm

You mean like .com domains that nobody wants nor needs

13. snoopy

There is defensive registration in all tlds. But there is no need to bring in a tld almost the same as something else just to sell defensive registrations.

What are you hoping for with .au? You know it is going to be a failure just like .uk, yes? It is all about duplicating, auDA and the registrars have no ability to make it popular.

Nicole Murdoch likes this.
  14. Rhythm

In that case: don't buy it
    Isn't freedom great?

Actually I don't know and guess what buddy? Neither do you

In your opinion.

15. ttfan

ttfan Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Opinions for or against are fine, but don't you think auda needs to make a business case before they introduce ,au? They have not, all they have is opinions, and the potential conflict of interest is pretty obvious.

16. Jimboot

Jimboot Membership: Community

How I explained it to my Mum

17. ttfan

ttfan Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Nicely explained into layman's terms jimboot! :)

snoopy likes this.
  18. snoopy

"auctions, negotiations, litigation" This is what is will be about in my view, only a matter of time before auDA rolls out the inevitable auction proposal.

"there is no business case put forward for it". The only business case is supply sides business case.

Nicole Murdoch likes this.
  19. Rhythm