What's new

auDA / Afilias PR Spin Doctor "Lies" shot down by another respected Media icon

DomainNames

Top Contributor
It seems the strategy to use some PR Spin Doctors is doing more damage for Afilias and auDA...(and the Supply parties who are feeding them information)

https://www.itwire.com/strategy/83945-auda-director-quits-over-mass-recruitment-of-members.html

"I rarely engage in debate in this forum for the simple reason that it is meant for readers. But when lies are told, I need to correct them.

You sent me an email yesterday. That much is true. It contained a link. That is all. I do not read propaganda and therefore I do not read material sent by people who are compromised. And you are in that category because you are paid by one side in this stoush.

What Tim Connell is suggesting is up to him; the interpretation is up to you. This is a news report and facts are reported. You can read it any way you wish. I really do not care.

Are you now acting as a spokesperson for auDA? That is what it looks like from what you have posted.

Kindly bear in mind that I have no wish to berate anyone in these columns - apart from in an op-ed. But you have brought this on yourself."​

Internet Australia vice chair lashes Laurie Patton over NBN 'rubbish'
[URL='https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwii-tzgtt_cAhUBf7wKHa89B1UQFjABegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fbusiness%2Finternet-australias-laurie-patton-muddies-nbn-debate%2Fnews-story%2F7e968124eadcfab8206803b7ac887e7c&usg=AOvVaw00Hi5fVsnRi5CqYA1TFaKP']https://www.theaustralian.com.au › business
[URL='https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwii-tzgtt_cAhUBf7wKHa89B1UQFjABegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fbusiness%2Finternet-australias-laurie-patton-muddies-nbn-debate%2Fnews-story%2F7e968124eadcfab8206803b7ac887e7c&usg=AOvVaw00Hi5fVsnRi5CqYA1TFaKP']Internet Australia's Laurie Patton muddies NBN debate - The Australian
[/URL]
Sep 2, 2017 - In May Laurie Patton fronted Channel 10s The Project before a ... with Morrow referring to Patton as a “troll” under parliamentary privilege.
[/URL]

snoopy

Top Contributor
The author has called him out well, paid promoter of Afilias and auDA, that is where Laurie's story starts and ends. The auDA Chair was even promoting Laurie's articles at the SGM.

Laurie Patton

It seems the strategy to use some PR Spin Doctors is doing more damage for Afilias and auDA...(and the Supply parties who are feeding them information)

https://www.itwire.com/strategy/83945-auda-director-quits-over-mass-recruitment-of-members.html

"I rarely engage in debate in this forum for the simple reason that it is meant for readers. But when lies are told, I need to correct them.

You sent me an email yesterday. That much is true. It contained a link. That is all. I do not read propaganda and therefore I do not read material sent by people who are compromised. And you are in that category because you are paid by one side in this stoush.

What Tim Connell is suggesting is up to him; the interpretation is up to you. This is a news report and facts are reported. You can read it any way you wish. I really do not care.

Are you now acting as a spokesperson for auDA? That is what it looks like from what you have posted.

Kindly bear in mind that I have no wish to berate anyone in these columns - apart from in an op-ed. But you have brought this on yourself."​

https://www.theaustralian.com.au › business
Internet Australia's Laurie Patton muddies NBN debate - The Australian

Sep 2, 2017 - In May Laurie Patton fronted Channel 10s The Project before a ... with Morrow referring to Patton as a “troll” under parliamentary privilege.

Laurie Patton

On the off chance that you even took the above post remotely seriously I’d suggest you go onto iTWire and read the whole thread. You might also like to ponder what relationship the journalist has with the Grumpies. BTW, iTWire was always happy to run my stuff back when I was pointing to flaws in the NBN, with which they clearly agreed. It seems they don’t agree with my take on auDA though, but such is life. The is one of my responses to iTWire that explains my position and provides some balance...

“I can only repeat what I’ve previously told you Sam. I am a member of auDA. I am the former CEO of Internet Australia. auDA was an organisational member / sponsor of IA during that time. I am a blogger (The Lucky General) and all my posts, on a range of subjects, contain disclosures appropriate to the issue. I do not claim any other ‘locus standi’.

In relation to auDA, my honestly held belief is that the efforts of the Grumpies are self-serving and destructive. The Government, on the basis of a report from the communications department, has demanded governance reform. I agree with much of the DoCA report, in particular the need for a majority of independent directors so that the industry insiders who make money trading in domain names are unable to “capture” the organisation (one of the DoCA concerns). auDA is undertaking a consultation process to assist them in developing a new governance model.

Last week I sent you, and many others, an email with a link to one of my posts about auDA that contained information which was not included in your article - presumably because your source neglected to pass it on. I availed myself of the opportunity to comment on your article.

The auDA board received advice from a top-tier law firm (Ashurst) on the basis of which it admitted a group of new members meeting the requirements of the current auDA constitution. If Mr Connell wishes to ignore the Ashurst advice that is up to him. Likewise, if he chooses to resign from the auDA board in protest at the board’s decision.

In my opinion it is appropriate in the interest of balance for people to understand the full story, not just a selective account from the Grumpies.”

Finally, the Grumpies risk kicking an ‘own goal’. If they keep up the disruption the government might just take over running auDA and impose a far more restrictive governance model.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Keep posting.. the ACCC, media, DoCA, stakeholders and others are loving it...It makes it obvious to see what the problems are with current auDA Management and the tactics they have stooped to to stay in power and on the auDA gravy train...

Internet Australia's Laurie Patton muddies NBN debate - The Australian https://www.theaustralian.com.au › business
" Sep 2, 2017 - ..... with Morrow referring to Patton as a “troll”....."
https://attendantdesign.com/internet-australia-vice-chair-lashes-laurie-patton-over-nbn...

"Internet Australia vice chair lashes Laurie Patton over NBN 'rubbish' ... vocal internet institution, Internet Australia, has accused its head Laurie Patton of .... the war on internet trolls"

"
Sam Varghese Laurie Patton3 days ago

To quote from your original post "...as I pointed out in an email to you yesterday.." You did not point out anything in an email to me. That is, therefore, a lie.

The information you provide is not objective because you are a paid consultant for Afilias. It is as simple as that.

So, in your dictionary, any report would be aiding and abetting someone or something. And you claim to have been a journalist! I cited the first report on this auDA stoush which contains all the claims the people led by Jim Stewart have made. Read it. I cannot say anything plainer.

Your take on things is predictable. I read the first couple of posts that you sent out. After that it is like hearing a broken record.

iTWire has not provided a selective account because I have _always_ asked auDA for their take when I write news stories. Check with auDA's PR flack Ian Hanke. Don't start flinging accusations of bias here without any basis.

Why should your views be included? Who are you in this scenario? Are you a representative of auDA? Are you speaking for Afilias? What is your locus standi that your views should get an airing? A random bystander may opine as long as he/she wishes but their views will not be published."

"Sam Varghese Laurie Patton2 days ago

Whether or not you are being paid has a direct relevance to you constant pushing of auDA views, your writing blog posts and trying to circulate them, and God knows what else.

"By ignoring the information I sent you iTWire has inadvertently provided a selective account of a very important matter." That clearly shows you are trying to hint at bias. Don't shy away from it.

This "acting in good faith" doesn't cut much ice with me. Even Donald Trump acts in good faith most of the time - that's what his minions say.

When you pay someone for an opinion, it's unlikely that they will advise you in such a way as to lose your business. I was not born yesterday, so stop being patronising.

Every dog in this fight has a vested interest for being there. That is common to all such clashes, be they within organisations, businesses, or any other body.

But I ask again: Who are you in this scenario? Are you a representative of auDA? Are you
speaking for Afilias? What is your locus standi that your views should
get an airing? Don't dodge the question."

"Sam Varghese Laurie Patton11 hours ago
Must be nice to get a gig from a company that pays you top-dollar and then expects nothing from you. If Afilias in the charity business?

Of course, people can be criticised for the advice on which they relied. That's happening at the banking royal commission every day - and rightly so. You cannot hide behind the figleaf of "we were advised to do this".

Let me ask again as you keep dodging the question: Who are you in this scenario? Are you a representative of auDA? Are you speaking for Afilias? What is your locus standi that your views should get an airing?"​

Laurie Patton

The Australian negotiated settlement of a threatened defamation case for the things you are repeating. Thankfully sensible people can see through the personal attacks you and your self-interested colleagues keeping making. In the end auDA will be reformed. Nothing you can do will stop that but the risk you run is the government coming to the conclusion that it should intervene. That’s not something your lot will be thanked for, so keep up the anonymous slagging at your peril.

Laurie Patton

Sorry to burst your bubble Lolz, but everyone wants auDA to be reformed so it can't be captured like it is now.
Won’t burst my bubble. I support the DoCA model which mandates a majority of independent directors. That means the small group of industry insiders with clear conflicts of interest will no longer be able to make the mischief they’re up to right now.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Was the DoCA review written by an auDA board member or substantially contributed to by auDA board members? The ones that are trying to get rid of the mischief makers?

The difference between the sides is that yours is paying themselves out of the gravy pot they've captured.

You're being paid right?

Laurie Patton

Was the DoCA review written by an auDA board member or substantially contributed to by auDA board members? The ones that are trying to get rid of the mischief makers?

The difference between the sides is that yours is paying themselves out of the gravy pot they've captured.

You're being paid right?
Now that’s a pretty astonishing assertion. Are you serious?

Laurie Patton

Firstly, I'm a former working journalist and quite capable of 'smelling' self interest. Secondly, in your case (and a few others) I do know who you are!

Laurie Patton

FFS. I know who you are but most people reading your posts don’t. Why don’t you use your real name and reveal your interests? I have disclosed my involvement with Afilias while also pointing out that my personal comments are not endorsed by them. My concerns over auDA go back many years from the time I ran Internet Australia.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I have disclosed my involvement with Afilias while also pointing out that my personal comments are not endorsed by them.

No you haven't, in fact you've been avoiding this for a couple of months.

What exactly is your role with Afilias/auDA and what are you being paid?

Laurie Patton

1. Every article I’ve published has contained this disclosure: (Laurie Patton is a member of auDA and the former CEO / Executive Director of Internet Australia. He is currently advising Afilias Australia, the company appointed to take over the management of the .au registry for auDA from 1 July 2018. However, the views expressed here are his own and have not been endorsed by Afilias.)
2. I’ve been providing consulting services to a wide range of organisations for nearly two decades. http://theluckygeneral.biz/about/
My client contractual arrangements are my business.

snoopy

Top Contributor
1. Every article I’ve published has contained this disclosure: (Laurie Patton is a member of auDA and the former CEO / Executive Director of Internet Australia. He is currently advising Afilias Australia, the company appointed to take over the management of the .au registry for auDA from 1 July 2018. However, the views expressed here are his own and have not been endorsed by Afilias.)
2. I’ve been providing consulting services to a wide range of organisations for nearly two decades. http://theluckygeneral.biz/about/
My client contractual arrangements are my business.

Keep on dodging Laurie,

-What exactly is your role with Afilias/auDA?
-What are they paying you?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member