1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

auDA / Afilias PR Spin Doctor "Lies" shot down by another respected Media icon

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by DomainNames, Aug 9, 2018.

1. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

It seems the strategy to use some PR Spin Doctors is doing more damage for Afilias and auDA...(and the Supply parties who are feeding them information)

https://www.itwire.com/strategy/83945-auda-director-quits-over-mass-recruitment-of-members.html

"I rarely engage in debate in this forum for the simple reason that it is meant for readers. But when lies are told, I need to correct them.

You sent me an email yesterday. That much is true. It contained a link. That is all. I do not read propaganda and therefore I do not read material sent by people who are compromised. And you are in that category because you are paid by one side in this stoush.

What Tim Connell is suggesting is up to him; the interpretation is up to you. This is a news report and facts are reported. You can read it any way you wish. I really do not care.

Are you now acting as a spokesperson for auDA? That is what it looks like from what you have posted.

Kindly bear in mind that I have no wish to berate anyone in these columns - apart from in an op-ed. But you have brought this on yourself."​

Internet Australia vice chair lashes Laurie Patton over NBN 'rubbish'
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au › business
    Internet Australia's Laurie Patton muddies NBN debate - The Australian

Sep 2, 2017 - In May Laurie Patton fronted Channel 10s The Project before a ... with Morrow referring to Patton as a “troll” under parliamentary privilege.

2. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

The author has called him out well, paid promoter of Afilias and auDA, that is where Laurie's story starts and ends. The auDA Chair was even promoting Laurie's articles at the SGM.

DomainNames likes this.
  3. Laurie Patton

Laurie Patton Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes

snoopy likes this.
  4. Laurie Patton

auDA Member:
    Yes
    On the off chance that you even took the above post remotely seriously I’d suggest you go onto iTWire and read the whole thread. You might also like to ponder what relationship the journalist has with the Grumpies. BTW, iTWire was always happy to run my stuff back when I was pointing to flaws in the NBN, with which they clearly agreed. It seems they don’t agree with my take on auDA though, but such is life. The is one of my responses to iTWire that explains my position and provides some balance...

“I can only repeat what I’ve previously told you Sam. I am a member of auDA. I am the former CEO of Internet Australia. auDA was an organisational member / sponsor of IA during that time. I am a blogger (The Lucky General) and all my posts, on a range of subjects, contain disclosures appropriate to the issue. I do not claim any other ‘locus standi’.

In relation to auDA, my honestly held belief is that the efforts of the Grumpies are self-serving and destructive. The Government, on the basis of a report from the communications department, has demanded governance reform. I agree with much of the DoCA report, in particular the need for a majority of independent directors so that the industry insiders who make money trading in domain names are unable to “capture” the organisation (one of the DoCA concerns). auDA is undertaking a consultation process to assist them in developing a new governance model.

Last week I sent you, and many others, an email with a link to one of my posts about auDA that contained information which was not included in your article - presumably because your source neglected to pass it on. I availed myself of the opportunity to comment on your article.

The auDA board received advice from a top-tier law firm (Ashurst) on the basis of which it admitted a group of new members meeting the requirements of the current auDA constitution. If Mr Connell wishes to ignore the Ashurst advice that is up to him. Likewise, if he chooses to resign from the auDA board in protest at the board’s decision.

In my opinion it is appropriate in the interest of balance for people to understand the full story, not just a selective account from the Grumpies.”

Finally, the Grumpies risk kicking an ‘own goal’. If they keep up the disruption the government might just take over running auDA and impose a far more restrictive governance model.

5. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

Keep posting.. the ACCC, media, DoCA, stakeholders and others are loving it...It makes it obvious to see what the problems are with current auDA Management and the tactics they have stooped to to stay in power and on the auDA gravy train...

6. Laurie Patton

auDA Member:
    Yes
    The Australian negotiated settlement of a threatened defamation case for the things you are repeating. Thankfully sensible people can see through the personal attacks you and your self-interested colleagues keeping making. In the end auDA will be reformed. Nothing you can do will stop that but the risk you run is the government coming to the conclusion that it should intervene. That’s not something your lot will be thanked for, so keep up the anonymous slagging at your peril.

7. Bacon Farmer

Bacon Farmer Membership: VIP

Sorry to burst your bubble Lolz, but everyone wants auDA to be reformed so it can't be captured like it is now.

8. Laurie Patton

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Won’t burst my bubble. I support the DoCA model which mandates a majority of independent directors. That means the small group of industry insiders with clear conflicts of interest will no longer be able to make the mischief they’re up to right now.

9. Bacon Farmer

Was the DoCA review written by an auDA board member or substantially contributed to by auDA board members? The ones that are trying to get rid of the mischief makers?

The difference between the sides is that yours is paying themselves out of the gravy pot they've captured.

You're being paid right?

Jimboot and joshrowe like this.
  10. Laurie Patton

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Now that’s a pretty astonishing assertion. Are you serious?

11. Bacon Farmer

You will never win a Walkley if you keep asking stupid questions of the wrong people.

Follow the money, Journalism 101.

Oh that's right you are getting paid too!

snoopy and Jimboot like this.
  12. Laurie Patton

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Journalism 201 - never rely on anonymous sources with vested interests.

Rhythm likes this.
  13. Bacon Farmer

Um how can you know if they are vested interests if they are anonymous?

Journalism 101, fact checking?

Jimboot likes this.
  14. Laurie Patton

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Firstly, I'm a former working journalist and quite capable of 'smelling' self interest. Secondly, in your case (and a few others) I do know who you are!

15. Bacon Farmer

We know you can smell self interest, thats why you are getting paid.

If you know who I am then I'm not anonymous right?

Jimboot likes this.
  16. Laurie Patton

auDA Member:
    Yes
    FFS. I know who you are but most people reading your posts don’t. Why don’t you use your real name and reveal your interests? I have disclosed my involvement with Afilias while also pointing out that my personal comments are not endorsed by them. My concerns over auDA go back many years from the time I ran Internet Australia.

17. snoopy

No you haven't, in fact you've been avoiding this for a couple of months.

What exactly is your role with Afilias/auDA and what are you being paid?

18. Laurie Patton

auDA Member:
    Yes
    1. Every article I’ve published has contained this disclosure: (Laurie Patton is a member of auDA and the former CEO / Executive Director of Internet Australia. He is currently advising Afilias Australia, the company appointed to take over the management of the .au registry for auDA from 1 July 2018. However, the views expressed here are his own and have not been endorsed by Afilias.)
    2. I’ve been providing consulting services to a wide range of organisations for nearly two decades. http://theluckygeneral.biz/about/
    My client contractual arrangements are my business.

19. snoopy

Keep on dodging Laurie,

-What exactly is your role with Afilias/auDA?
    -What are they paying you?

20. Laurie Patton

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Play the ball, not the player guys. In the words of CJ Gregg from the television series “The West Wing” - Hunting season on me is over!