What's new

.AU Direct Registration Forums, Syd, Mel, Bris

neddy

Top Contributor
I'm not sure if the originally proposed timetable is correct, as I believe it was varied slightly in Sydney. So if you're planning on going, my advice would be to get there for the start of the event.
John Swinson sent me this update for the Melbourne meetup tomorrow, which he said I could publish. I believe there will be questions allowed at the end of each segment.:

"Ned,

This is the schedule for Melb and BNE. It could change prior or on-the-fly, but this is what we currently aim to work towards.

• 10:00am: Introduction
  • Until 11:15am: Overview of Australian domain names and key policy elements & discussion
  • 11:15am - 11:30am - Morning Tea Break
  • 11:30am – 12:30pm: Expanding the namespace
    • Introduction to Direct Registration
    • Consumer Protection
    • International issues
  • 12:30pm – 1:30pm - Lunch
  • 1:30pm – 2:45pm - Registrant Discussion Paper – detailed discussion
  • 2:45pm - 3:00pm - Afternoon Tea Break
  • 3:00pm – 4:00pm - Direct Registration Discussion – detailed discussion"

DomainNames

Top Contributor
John Swinson sent me this update for the Melbourne meetup tomorrow, which he said I could publish. I believe there will be questions allowed at the end of each segment.:

"Ned,

This is the schedule for Melb and BNE. It could change prior or on-the-fly, but this is what we currently aim to work towards.
  • 10:00am: Introduction
  • Until 11:15am: Overview of Australian domain names and key policy elements & discussion
  • 11:15am - 11:30am - Morning Tea Break
  • 11:30am – 12:30pm: Expanding the namespace
    • Introduction to Direct Registration
    • Consumer Protection
    • International issues
  • 12:30pm – 1:30pm - Lunch
  • 1:30pm – 2:45pm - Registrant Discussion Paper – detailed discussion
  • 2:45pm - 3:00pm - Afternoon Tea Break
  • 3:00pm – 4:00pm - Direct Registration Discussion – detailed discussion"

Who will be representing the PRP in Melbourne and then for Brisbane?

I would love to ask Brett Fenton some questions if he feels ok about his own and his company previous efforts to in my opinion yes vote stack surveys etc and if it is really true he has said to people that Melbourne IT, TPP, Netregistry are "getting out of domain names in the next 2 years" or will they simply just use another company name to do it? That is major news if they will not even be in the domain name industry in 2 years and certainly changes things also.

Last edited:

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Everyone's BF just told the forum that most businesses will choose either .com.au or .au not both based on foreign examples of direct registrations.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Everyone's BF just told the forum that most businesses will choose either .com.au or .au not both based on foreign examples of direct registrations.

He is right for the UK because .co.uk outsells .uk for new registrations by a factor of 10x, so clearly most are not choosing both but I bet the small volumes of fresh .uk's going through a lot would be be people getting both. i.e. the vast majority register get .co.uk and some get both.

I'd bet the % of people getting .uk only is tiny. But I have seen no data on that and I wouldn't trust any claims from the panel on it without actual statistics.

In short I'd say Brett is right, because most people will register .com.au and won't bother with the .au. I think .au will fail in the marketplace like .uk has. Only a small % will get both. But that doesn't mean .au isn't mainly about defensive reges, it is, it is just that 90% people won't care, maybe 10% will get both, and that 10% is your market going forward.

Nominet Stats - the spike for .UK in Aug, Sept and Oct are the free "robo registrations".

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 2.35.37 pm.png
https://www.nominet.uk/news/reports-statistics/uk-register-statistics-2017/

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
Can you Brett why he wants to register BrettFenton.au when BrettFenton.com is still available? I'm guessing he is going to make this statement again about wanting BrettFenton.au. What is he waiting for? (tell him I asked if you like - an online question:))

DomainNames

Top Contributor
FREE .UK DOMAIN NAMES ! That's a good way to increase registration numbers! Then quote the increased numbers as a false proof of success and demand!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...zanZAhXLo5QKHWC2CpoQ_AUICygC&biw=1120&bih=534

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Time for the auDA Statement.

The Policy Review Panel is today hosting its final public forum in Brisbane. This follows forums in Perth, Sydney and Melbourne which have enabled enthusiastic debate among participants.

The issues raised in the Panel’s paper, Registrant Policy: Enabling Australia’s Digital Economy and Society, are of importance to all Australian internet users.

These forums have been an integral part of the Policy Review Process and are an effective mechanism for engaging with the Australian community. The discussion and feedback have been extremely productive in evolving the panel’s thinking on these important issues.

Debate of these issues is a vital part of the policy review process. The range of views from industry and consumers must, and will, be considered, and the Panel will apply equitable evaluation of all views presented at the forums, in addition to the submissions received.

However, for the Panel to fully consider all issues, it is vital that any organisation or individual who has an interest in this issue participates in the consultative process. Submissions are actively encouraged up to the closing date of 4 March 2018.

It must be noted that neither auDA, nor the Panel, has decided upon any model or implementation process. What has been presented in the Issues Paper is for public consideration and feedback. Any speculation that one model over another will be implemented is wrong; there is still much more for the Panel to consider.

Ultimately the final decision rests with the auDA Board. On current timings, the Panel is scheduled to report its final recommendations to the auDA Board in late August. The board will then fully consider all issues before making a final decision on appropriate policies.

I want to reassure the .au community that auDA is committed to an independent and multi-stakeholder policy development process to deliver the best outcome for all Australians.

I openly encourage all stakeholders to continue to participate in this process. For those individuals who have attended the forums, I thank you sincerely for your input to date.

I wish the Panel the best with its future deliberations. I look forward to what I’m sure will be an extremely positive contribution to the future of the .au domain space.

Cameron Boardman
CEO, .au Domain Administration Ltd."

DomainNames

Top Contributor

DomainNames

Top Contributor
2017 Policy Review Panel

Registrant Policy Issues Paper available now

The 2017 Policy Review Panel’s latest issues paper looking at Registrant Policy is now available for download.

Policy Review Panel Forums 2018

To support the release of and to gain feedback on the issues paper, we’re running a series of public policy review forums throughout February 2018.

These events are free to attend for both auDA members and the public and we encourage everyone to attend to help shape this crucial resource.

Find out more about the 2018 policy forums.

policy reform of existing auDA policies (as listed in the Terms of Reference below)
The Panel held its first meeting in Melbourne on the 27th of September, 2017.
Panel Members
Chair
John Swinson

Government Regulator
Paul Zawa, ACCC

Academic Representative
Professor Andrew Christie

Peak business body representative
To be advised

Consumer protection representative
Narelle Clark, ACCAN

Supply class member
Brett Fenton, Melbourne IT

Demand class member
Luke Summers

The chair will announce the peak business body representative once the position is finalised

Deliverables
The Policy Review Panel has been tasked by the auDA Board to develop an implementation policy for direct registration (transitional arrangements) and to review, simplify and consolidate existing published policies into three policies:

• Registrant Policy
  • Registrar Policy, and
  • Complaints Policy
The new policies will apply to direct registration of a domain name at a second level (2LD), as recommended by the 2015 Names Policy Panel Final Report.
The Policy Review Panel will report to the auDA Board no later than 31 August 2018.
Panel Terms of Reference

Agenda
Minutes

December 14, 2017
Agenda
Minutes

November 29, 2017
Agenda
Minutes

November 17, 2017
Agenda
Minutes

October 13, 2017
Agenda
Minutes

September 27, 2017
Agenda
Minutes

[paste:font size="5"]Registrant Policy Issues paper
Submissions for the Registrant Policy Issues Paper close 5pm, 4 March, 2018.

[paste:font size="4"]Closed

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Issues Paper: Implementation of Second Level Domain Name Registrations (Direct Registration)
Closed Friday November 10, 2017

Public Submissions

AUDA MEMBER (name withheld) KHANNA, Bobby
AUSREGISTRY PTY TLD LAW COUNCIL OF AUSTRALIA LIMITED
AUSTRALIAN COMMUNICATIONS CONSUMER ACTION NETWORK (ACCAN) LINUX AUSTRALIA INC
AVRAHAMI, Yuval LONG, Scott
BLAKE, Alex MARCHANT, Craig
CHERRY, Helen MARR, Jeff
COUNCIL OF AUSTRALASIAN UNIVERSITY DIRECTORS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY MCEVOY, Rob
D'SOUZA, Neil MELBOURNEIT LIMITED
DAVIES COLLISON CAVE PTY LTD MURDOCH, Nicole
DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY PORTER, David
EDU.AU DOMAIN ADMINISTRATION
COMMITTEE LIMITED QUIN, Cherie

EDUARDO, Jose RANKIN, Don
EDUCATION SERVICES AUSTRALIA LIMITED RICH, Ebony
ELECTRONIC FRONTIERS AUSTRALIA INC SHAW, Paul
FERGUSON, David STEWART, Jim
FOGARTY, Sean SUMMERS, Luke
GOLDSTEIN, David THOMSON, Angus
GOSLING, Adam TURNER, Vincent
GROEN, Erwin TYNDALL, Ash
HADASSIN, Ashley WEBSTER, Benjamin
HARRIS, Chris ZAPATA, Ziggy
HARRIS, Peter C
INTERNET SOCIETY OF AUSTRALIA
JOHNSON, Paul
KAAY, Robert

Confidential Submissions

FOGARTY, Sean
MCGOWAN, Shaun
MEDICAL FORUM MAGAZINE
PERROTT, Mick
ROBERTS, Joel

Names Policy Panel 2015 Final Report

• Helme Consulting .au Research
The Panel invites written submissions when the submission periods for public consultation are open. These periods will be open for four (4) weeks. Submissions can be emailed to policy.review@auda.org.au or by post to:

Policy Review Panel
c/o .au Domain Administration Ltd
PO Box 18315
MELBOURNE VIC 3001

Please note, all submission will be made publicly available on this website, unless marked confidential. In the absence of a clear indication that the submission is confidential, the Policy Review Panel will treat the submission as public. The Policy Review Panel will not consider nor publish anonymous submissions.

snoopy

Top Contributor
“It must be noted that neither auDA, nor the Panel, has decided upon any model or implementation process.”

It seems apparent to me that the panel considers the lottery the least worst option.

What is the purpose of Cameron’s email other than being an indication of more meddling in something supposedly independant?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
“It must be noted that neither auDA, nor the Panel, has decided upon any model or implementation process.”

It seems apparent to me that the panel considers the lottery the least worst option.

What is the purpose of Cameron’s email other than being an indication of more meddling in something supposedly independant?

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
John Swinson, Paul Zawa and BF were in attendance. Yep the argument about the no hierarchy of domains was replayed. Nobody was buying that.

The main takeaway is that there will be winners and losers and every single scenario results in somebody losing out. Mostly .com.au owners.

Except the do nothing implementation strategy.

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
John Swinson, Paul Zawa and BF were in attendance.

The main takeaway is that there will be winners and losers and every single scenario results in somebody losing out. Mostly .com.au owners.

Except the do nothing implementation strategy.

Oh not the 'winners and losers" again? Did they say it in Brisbane too? They said it at the AGM, the Sydney and Melbourne PRP...but they said mostly the losers will be everyone else. The winners would be them... some in supply and of course auDA and the auDA Foundation from more $$$.... lawyers.... consultants.. advertising companies for auDAs planned major $$$$$$$ campaign to flog .au

In Melbourne I asked them how about if auDA are the losers this time?.... silence..

How about the auDA CEO and Directors personally become the losers??

I think the Government is getting more anxious....This stuff helps them really look seriously if auDA is fit for purpose to manage the .au namespace... watch this space.

Last edited:

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
There were a number of government types there that were worried about the ramifications for their govt domains. For crying out loud why are .gov .edu or even .orgs involved with direct registrations.

The massive level of trust in these domains is at risk by some ignoramus allowing these types of websites to cross over to direct registrations. The potential public confusion is substantial.

Those types should be left out altogether.

There really is so many cans of worms in this process that the speed of implementation needs to be questioned to allow the full ramifications to be thought out.

Instead of leaving the model decision to the auDA board, I believe the stakeholders should vote on it.

I have no confidence they will get it right, it's literally a lottery.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/a...ns/UK/who-can-register-a-uk-domain-name-4757/

"The .CO.UK will always be given .UK rights by default if the .CO.UK domain was registered before 28th October 2013."

"Owners for .co.uk domain names have the right to register the .uk associated extension within a 5 years period."

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/a...m-Domains/what-is-a-premium-domain-name-3919/

"What is a Premium Domain Name?

Premium domains are domain names that have already been registered but are being resold for a premium rate. Some people even register domain names specifically so that they can then resell at a later date.

Buying a premium domain is the best way to secure popular domain names that you would otherwise be unable to register.

Why is a Premium Domain Name so expensive?
Premium domain names cost more than standard domain registrations as shorter domain names are more memorable and marketable, this can help in securing top placements with search engines.

It is almost impossible to find unregistered one-word generic or two- or three-character domains, this makes premium domain names rare with some buyers willing to pay large sums to own them."

snoopy

Top Contributor
There were a number of government types there that were worried about the ramifications for their govt domains. For crying out loud why are .gov .edu or even .orgs involved with direct registrations.

Everyone has their hand out. The funniest was the two submissions to the panel a couple of months ago from id.au owners calling for their names.

auDA is royally screwing this up. They are trying to do a better job than .uk, it looks like they will be making far worse mistakes because they are all tied up in a bunch of academic arguments (eg no hierarchy of rights) whilst ignoring the practical effects.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo