What's new

2017 Board Elections

Cheyne

Top Contributor
Nice try and the same line that AUDA has unsuccessfully attempting to push ever since announcing it.
How is it a nice try? I am telling you what others outside of the DNTrade bubble are saying. If you want to waste time and energy trying to stop it from happening be my guest, but I think the time and effort could be better spent.

snoopy

Top Contributor
How is it a nice try? I am telling you what others outside of the DNTrade bubble are saying. If you want to waste time and energy trying to stop it from happening be my guest, but I think the time and effort could be better spent.

193 votes! That is not the "dntrade bubble". The majority of members do not want it.

I believe direct registrations will never happen, AUDA are rowing a boat upstream on the issue.

ttfan

Top Contributor
2. The minutes will show that other than the same concerted group here on DNTrade, nobody else had any major interjections regarding .au direct registrations, nor did they really care about any of the other trivial matters that continues to be raised here.
That's because the majority of stakeholders are not even aware of the proposed changes.... the people of the meeting are not exactly representative of the majority of stakeholders. What's a 'trivial matter' to you, may be an important matter to many others, have you considered this?
I understand the narrative here will be that because Ned and Nicole were elected that means everybody they garnered proxies forms from agree with them wholeheartedly - it doesn't - it simply means they campaigned better which is clear in the results being so highly skewed and near parity.
How do you know what they agree or do not agree with? Have you spoken to all these people? Ned probably has. You're jumping to conclusions to support your personal opinion, not on the facts.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Unfortunately I was unable to attend as I had prior commitments in the office, but I did listen to the entire meeting via the stream and I was walking around with an earpiece looking like a taxi driver listening to world news.

Anyway, I do want to make a couple of comments:

1. The new chair, Mr Chris Leptos, was simply outstanding and should be applauded by everyone. For him to come in to the position just two weeks ago, and have such a firm grasp on the issues and plenty of the background behind it was simply extraordinary in my view. He handled himself with grace and dignity when dealing with certain people who he essentially (and rightly) called out for disgraceful behaviour or using tones that were not conductive of a fair argument. Bravo!

2. The minutes will show that other than the same concerted group here on DNTrade, nobody else had any major interjections regarding .au direct registrations, nor did they really care about any of the other trivial matters that continues to be raised here. In fact, Adrian's counter argument regarding direct registrations was measured and I think took a lot of people by surprise. I understand the narrative here will be that because Ned and Nicole were elected that means everybody they garnered proxies forms from agree with them wholeheartedly - it doesn't - it simply means they campaigned better which is clear in the results being so highly skewed and near parity. That's not to say that they won't be great board members, I am just pointing out that one of the things that people here didn't like was the "favourites" getting voted in when it was on the other side of the fence.

3. I was very happy to hear the overwhelming majority vote down the special resolution, but as I have said in the past, I still believe there needs to be some vetting and I hope that this is brought up at future meetings for discussion.

4. VentraIP Australia/Synergy Wholesale was the largest registrar to have representatives in attendance, and both Angelo and Maddison have both told me that they had some good conversations with you all and were happy to meet you. This is something that should not be overlooked, especially since for the first time ever there is now no registrar representation on the board whatsoever.

And as a final sub point.

Snoopy, the way you tried to talk over Adrian and showed such contempt for the Chair was simply disgraceful. It's one thing to hold a certain view but it's another to attempt to lambaste others who hold another. As the Chair so rightly pointed out, there will be winners and losers and that is a fact of life in almost every situation you find yourself in, so I would suggest that if you want people to take you seriously you come equipped with poise and more importantly facts.

As I have said in other posts, this meeting should be considered the line in the sand so that we can now all get on with improving auDA and the industry as a whole.

Ned and Nicole, even though you were not my picks, I genuinely wish you both all the very best and success in your tenures. Believe me when I tell you that you're going to need it, but I think you both already know that. ;)

The best way to improve the supply side is that they actually listen to the real demand side...

Your comments really seem to not take into consideration direct feedback from demand and even some of your customers.

Do you want .au domain name registrants to buy their names from your company or someone else? I personally feel by yours comments you are shooting yourself, Ventraip, SynergyWholesale in the foot.

You may get some support here from Supply but in the end they are not the ones paying yours bills... people like I and .au registrant consumers do.

Snoopy had every right to ask the questions he did and he was shut down...Nicole also was chastised for her "tone" and being in the room I felt that was uncomfortable for her and uncalled for.....This seems to go beyond what we had years gone by what we wanted and want to avoid again.

I think Nicole deserved and answer and the way that question was handled could have been a lot better.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Congrats to Ned & Nicole!!

Nicole Murdoch 98
Ned O'Meara 95
Ian Halson 28
Craig Marchant 6
Nigel Phair 4

This is landslide win for Nicole and Ned!
Nicole Murdoch 98
Ned O'Meara 95

Ian Halson 28
Craig Marchant 6
Nigel Phair 4

Their key points again which had so many votes of support.
http://www.grumpy.com.au/our-platform/
Our Thoughts On Direct Registration

We were both on the auDA 2015 Names Panel, and part of the Minority Report that did not agree with the need for direct registrations. Two years later we are even more convinced of this. It will effectively be a “double tax” on existing registrants – and an unnecessary “cash grab” by some.

• Causes confusion in the market place
  • Distracts from a premium domain
  • Possible unfair implementation
  • Forces registrants to “defensively register” domains
  • However, we do realise that there are some who have a different point of view to ourselves. Those that are in favour of direct registration. To them we say this. We respect your point of view – but we’d hope you’d agree and believe in proper process being followed. Our consistent position is that if auDA contacts every single registrant of an .au domain name and gives them the opportunity to “have a say” about introducing direct registrations (with full facts as to costs and implications), then we will accept the majority view. This hasn’t been done to date – and it should be. We must ensure that the decision is truly representational, and not a veiled attempt at pushing an agenda.
  • If a full and proper consultation is not done, we commit to try and overturn the existing direct registration decision at Board level.
  • If we are unsuccessful, then we’ll do our best to ensure that existing com.au registrants are protected and afforded priority rights. Why com.au registrants as opposed to any other .au extension? Because com.au holds approximately 90% of all domains in Australia.
Better Transparency / More Communication
  • auDA is a membership organisation. It is accountable to a range of stakeholders, including both the “Supply” and “Demand” sides of the internet community within Australia. Nothing is more important to us than proper process.
  • auDA members therefore have a right to be regularly informed about the decisions and workings of their Board of Directors, and the CEO and Senior Management.
  • Comprehensive and timely Minutes should be published on the auDA website.
  • Interactive communication is a necessity. This includes a website where members can post questions to management and the Board.
  • Forensic reports about past events need to be released in full (and dealt with if necessary). The blame games and innuendo need to stop.
Proper And Effective Growth
  • We believe that there is great opportunity for all sides of the internet community in Australia to prosper.
  • There needs to be far less red tape for registrants, registrars and resellers. This process is now underway with the recently formed Policy Review Panel, and we look forward to helping enable sensible recommendations if we are elected.
  • Wholesale costs need to be examined, as it seems to us that there also needs to be a fairer distribution of “the pie”.
  • Memberships should be encouraged. Every registrant of a domain name should automatically be entitled to be a free member of auDA (opt-in our opt-out model). This will increase membership numbers, and create a better internet community. Canada does this successfully in their internet space. – “Applying for membership is easy, free and open to any .CA holder.”
  • We’d like to see no more “them and us” mentality (as in Supply and Demand members). Having two types of memberships creates a divide. Let’s work together for the good of the domain space instead of against each other. We need to focus on pushing the space forward, not on acting against whatever the “other side” wants.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
98 votes WINNER!
http://www.grumpy.com.au/about-nicole/
"About Nicole
My reasons for running for election as Director of auDA are very simple.

I have been involved with domains since approximately 1998 when I designed my mother’s website for her business and reserved her domain name as part of that process. I leant to program 31 years ago (don’t do the maths) when my father brought home an Apple IIE. But as I wasn’t a front end coder, it was a learning experience. That got me interested in the rules and regulations that governed the industry (at the time) and the coding languages that were so unique back in the day. From there I moved onto larger projects coding in PHP, HTML, C/C++, JAVA and SQL (Oracle and MYSQL), including working on the E*Trade (German) website and other e-commerce sites. I have worked as a website developer, and worked in SEO.

I was part of the 2015 auDA names panel, and as a result of that, I became interested in the decision making process of auDA. It is something I want to take part in.

The 2015 names panel members were appointed to discuss direct registrations. I was a minority report member. Two years down the track, my position in that respect is unchanged – we cannot answer the question of whether the .au should be opened up without considering how it should be opened up and what policy rules would apply. We need to consider WHY it should be opened up and whether opening it up, under whatever now unknown rules would apply would actually achieve that aim – and what that aim is. I would have also preferred to see a more comprehensive community consultation than what was conducted.

I am keen to increase the membership of auDA, the transparency of auDA and increase the involvement of the community in auDA. We need to increase memberships. Ultimately it is a public resource, and as such it needs to serve the people.

I now work as an Intellectual Property lawyer. I have served as a director in other companies, and that background (and my legal training) gives me knowledge of corporate governance and good practice.

Because I am a lawyer and work in trade mark dispute matters, I am often accused of being anti-monetisation. That is simply not correct. I represent clients who are rights holders as well as clients who simply want to openly trade without intimidation from trade mark holders. I am keen to have the .au domain space used by the community and believe in monetisation of domains. But, yes, I say that there does need to be some fair “rules of play” involved.

Please vote for me as Demand class Director at this year’s AGM. I promise you that I will listen to you, especially when we disagree, I will ask you your views even when you are quiet, and I will represent your views honestly to the Board.

You can read more about my background on LinkedIn.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
95 votes WINNER!
http://www.grumpy.com.au/about-ned/
"About Ned
I’ve been involved in the “internet” since having my first eCommerce store in 2000. For the past 10 years, I have been a domain investor in the Australian namespace, and have bought and sold many domain names and websites for myself and for others. Many people that I have dealt with have been kind enough to leave me testimonials.

I have also written the industry blog Domainer.com.au for a number of years. This has never been a money making opportunity – it is a labour of love. I believe in fairness and proper process, and I’m never afraid to speak my mind (in a constructive manner).

Having been a self-employed entrepreneur for nearly 40 years, my life and business has had many twists and turns. In my earlier years, I was involved in property development, and I made and lost several fortunes along the way. So I’ve experienced both the pleasure of victories, and the pain of defeats. Going down the “gurgler” is never a pleasant experience for anyone (and all parties affected by it), but it’s a great learning experience.

For those interested in a bit of trivia, “Ned” is sort of short for “Hedley”. Most people could never spell my name properly (or thought it was my surname), and an old school mate dubbed me with “Ned” many years ago – and it stuck!

auDA Experience

Domain names are my livelihood, so I decided long ago to participate in as many auDA panels and working groups as possible. This way I can participate in the future of .au.

Recent Times

In February 2017, I acquired three auDA accredited Registrars – Drop.com.au; Fabulous.com.au and Yexa.com.au. My eldest son Luke took over the family business of managing our large domain name portfolio. (Based in Brisbane, he’s doing a great job!).

Towards the end of March, I then got an offer for the registrar businesses, and due to a variety of issues, I decided to accept. So now I am just a semi-retired blogger interested in all things to do with domain names (particularly in Australia)! One thing I really enjoy is mentoring new people to the domain investment industry; as well as providing advice to registrants about domain name policy and practice in Australia.

Currently I’m the Demand Class representative on the newly formed auDA Policy Review Panel, and I’m grateful to have been recognised in this way. The next 12 months will potentially see some of the biggest changes in the .au namespace.

Personal

My wife Frances and I have raised two fine sons (now adults), and we love living in Townsville, North Queensland. Frances is a Paramedic with the Queensland Ambulance Service.

Why Vote For Me

I am your quintessential Demand Class candidate having had vast experience in most aspects of the domain industry – including the “dark side” – I’ve even been a registrar! I’m also a “straight shooter” who is not afraid to stand up for all auDA members.

Now it’s time to stand for the Board. I respectfully seek your support and vote."

Cheyne

Top Contributor
The best way to improve the supply side is that they actually listen to the real demand side...
The real demand side is not the six or so people who actively post here.

Your comments really seem to not take into consideration direct feedback from demand and even some of your customers.
As I've already said, I have more actual customers who have requested direct registrations (literally hundreds, maybe over a thousand) then there are people who voted in this election let alone people who post here against them.

Do you want .au domain name registrants to buy their names from your company or someone else? I personally feel by yours comments you are shooting yourself, Ventraip, SynergyWholesale in the foot.
I genuinely don't care where they buy them from as long as the company supports the Australian economy and Australian jobs.

You may get some support here from Supply but in the end they are not the ones paying yours bills... people like I and .au registrant consumers do.
I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here.

I offer my opinions from the view of both a .au registrant and a registrar owner. I appear here as a lone voice because I don't think anybody else here actually owns a registrar business, and aside from Ned, I don't believe anybody else here has ever owned one.

Nobody here has invested the hundreds of thousands of dollars that is required to do it properly. Nobody here has over 150,000 customers. And nobody here has actually spent time or money conducting research of such a large consumer base.

So just because I present an opinion that you may not agree with, it doesn't make it wrong, it simply makes it different. My glasses are tinted a different colour so I see the world from a different perspective. But by nature I am a very progressive person and I don't believe in looking backward as a means to going forward.

Snoopy had every right to ask the questions he did and he was shut down...Nicole also was chastised for her "tone" and being in the room I felt that was uncomfortable for her and uncalled for.....This seems to go beyond what we had years gone by what we wanted and want to avoid again.

I think Nicole deserved and answer and the way that question was handled could have been a lot better.
I never said that he had no right to ask the question, I said that I agreed with the chair in saying that you need to come equipped with facts and the chair had every right to call that out. I also disagree with the chair and agree with Adrian that people should declare their interests before making comments as it provides context, and it's something I've said here too.

I think Nicole's tone was unwarranted and perhaps the question could have been better handled behind closed doors in her newly minted position, but as somebody who has studied politics it made perfect sense. She had to ask the question and in that tone because she was simply holding up her end of the bargain since those who campaigned on her behalf were literally sitting around her. I totally get it. But she was promised an answer at the next board meeting by which time she will be under NDA which means she won't be able to report back with a real answer, only vague comments like Tim offers here.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think Nicole's tone was unwarranted and perhaps the question could have been better handled behind closed doors in her newly minted position, but as somebody who has studied politics it made perfect sense. She had to ask the question and in that tone because she was simply holding up her end of the bargain since those who campaigned on her behalf were literally sitting around her. I totally get it. But she was promised an answer at the next board meeting by which time she will be under NDA which means she won't be able to report back with a real answer, only vague comments like Tim offers here.

I believe that her membership application was blocked for 5 months to prevent her voting. She has every right to be angry about this delay.

A "friendly tone" is not to be expected in those circumstances.

Lemon

Top Contributor
I believe that her membership application was blocked for 5 months to prevent her voting. She has every right to be angry about this delay.
I believe she already has 2 Demand Class memberships, why do you need a third?
mDoch Pty Ltd
mDoch Holdings Pty Ltd

Lemon

Top Contributor
That you are throwing stones in glasses houses and are not being upfront about your own memberships.
My memberships are 100% legit. I originally joined in 2002 as an individual and LemonStone Group did so to participate in the generic auctions.
Katie has probably been in this industry longer than you and has been a member longer than you by about 6 years.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo