What's new

2017 Board Elections

snoopy

Top Contributor
This result sends a huge message to the existing auDA board and CEO. The support for reform is overwhelming.

Agree, In my view it was a huge vote against the Direct Registration Proposal and a clear mandate for reforming AUDA. AUDA would be wise to read Grumpy.com.au.

Cheyne

Top Contributor
Unfortunately I was unable to attend as I had prior commitments in the office, but I did listen to the entire meeting via the stream and I was walking around with an earpiece looking like a taxi driver listening to world news.

Anyway, I do want to make a couple of comments:

1. The new chair, Mr Chris Leptos, was simply outstanding and should be applauded by everyone. For him to come in to the position just two weeks ago, and have such a firm grasp on the issues and plenty of the background behind it was simply extraordinary in my view. He handled himself with grace and dignity when dealing with certain people who he essentially (and rightly) called out for disgraceful behaviour or using tones that were not conductive of a fair argument. Bravo!

2. The minutes will show that other than the same concerted group here on DNTrade, nobody else had any major interjections regarding .au direct registrations, nor did they really care about any of the other trivial matters that continues to be raised here. In fact, Adrian's counter argument regarding direct registrations was measured and I think took a lot of people by surprise. I understand the narrative here will be that because Ned and Nicole were elected that means everybody they garnered proxies forms from agree with them wholeheartedly - it doesn't - it simply means they campaigned better which is clear in the results being so highly skewed and near parity. That's not to say that they won't be great board members, I am just pointing out that one of the things that people here didn't like was the "favourites" getting voted in when it was on the other side of the fence.

3. I was very happy to hear the overwhelming majority vote down the special resolution, but as I have said in the past, I still believe there needs to be some vetting and I hope that this is brought up at future meetings for discussion.

4. VentraIP Australia/Synergy Wholesale was the largest registrar to have representatives in attendance, and both Angelo and Maddison have both told me that they had some good conversations with you all and were happy to meet you. This is something that should not be overlooked, especially since for the first time ever there is now no registrar representation on the board whatsoever.

And as a final sub point.

Snoopy, the way you tried to talk over Adrian and showed such contempt for the Chair was simply disgraceful. It's one thing to hold a certain view but it's another to attempt to lambaste others who hold another. As the Chair so rightly pointed out, there will be winners and losers and that is a fact of life in almost every situation you find yourself in, so I would suggest that if you want people to take you seriously you come equipped with poise and more importantly facts.

As I have said in other posts, this meeting should be considered the line in the sand so that we can now all get on with improving auDA and the industry as a whole.

Ned and Nicole, even though you were not my picks, I genuinely wish you both all the very best and success in your tenures. Believe me when I tell you that you're going to need it, but I think you both already know that. ;)

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoopy, the way you tried to talk over Adrian and showed such contempt for the Chair was simply disgraceful. It's one thing to hold a certain view but it's another to attempt to lambaste others who hold another. As the Chair so rightly pointed out, there will be winners and losers and that is a fact of life in almost every situation you find yourself in, so I would suggest that if you want people to take you seriously you come equipped with poise and more importantly facts.

As I have said in other posts, this meeting should be considered the line in the sand so that we can now all get on with improving auDA and the industry as a whole.

Adrian's comments were directed to me and I responded to them.

I do not think people are going to say yes to direct registrations because of a comment on "winners and losers". It is 3.1 million "losers" and and handful of "winners" (Auda, registrars, the registry).

The vote was a clear statement on what members think of direct registrations and I do not think business or the general public wants this either. Of course so far AUDA haven't been willing to contact them.

Cheyne

Top Contributor
A vote for them was indeed a vote against direct registrations.
So when you voted at the last Federal election, you agreed with every single policy of the party you voted for? I highly doubt it.

Most people vote for the easiest which is either the incumbent or those who wave how to vote cards under their noses. The others remain party loyal. You can try and paint the result any way you see fit but the Chair made it clear how to move forward and I think we should all follow his advice.

Cheyne

Top Contributor
Adrian's comments were directed to me and I responded to them.
They were directed to anybody who shares your view, in which case you respond through the Chair, not by talking over them.

I do not think people are going to say yes to direct registrations
So you have no facts, only what you think. Perhaps that is how you should phrase your objections in future.

Cheyne

Top Contributor
Most candidates sent out how to vote cards and the clear winners were the camaigners who were anti direct registrations.
Nobody else campaigned like Ned and Nicole did, and it's a credit to them, but I assure you that even if they were for direct registrations they still would have won.

If you think otherwise then I suggest you Google "delusional".

Cheyne

Top Contributor
I credit the members who voted with actually having a brain, which you obviously don't.
Personal insults? The sign of somebody who has no valid argument.

Since you've chosen to drag it down to a personal level, I'll bring the conversation back up to a professional level for you.

Two points from the meeting today that stood out to me:

1. Everybody I have spoken to this afternoon has agreed that the tone of both the Chair and the CEO when speaking about direct registrations was as if it was going ahead regardless. On this basis, I think that everybody should be preparing their discussion points regarding implementation so that the board can navigate this process. Thoughts?

2. Another grab that I got from the meeting today was that it was all but confirmed that yearly registrations was happening as part of the new registry tender. I could not find anything regarding any of the new board members stance on this, which I think is a pretty big thing and affects more people than direct registrations will. Thoughts?

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
No I said you don't credit the vast majority of demand class members who voted as having a brain.

If you choose to read things another way then I'd say that's the second time today you've done that.

Who gives a toss what the supply side appointees say!

snoopy

Top Contributor
1. Everybody I have spoken to this afternoon has agreed that the tone of both the Chair and the CEO when speaking about direct registrations was as if it was going ahead regardless. On this basis, I think that everybody should be preparing their discussion points regarding implementation so that the board can navigate this process. Thoughts?

Nice try and the same line that AUDA has unsuccessfully attempting to push ever since announcing it. Whilst AUDA hope to push it through, 2 directors got voted in with a record count of nearly 100 votes each on a platform of scrapping it and reforming AUDA.

Most members oppose it and AUDA is a membership organisation. Do the maths!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo