What's new

2017 Board Elections

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think it is a good idea.
Do you think we should allow crooks and criminals on the auDA board?

I think it is bad idea for AUDA directors to be able to remove members for very flimsy and potentially self serving reasons such as "whose conduct, in the opinion of the Board, is prejudicial to the interests of auDA".

.......and to also be able to not accept new applications with no stated reason -that is not transparency.

Given the non approval of valid demand members (e.g. Nicole) and the fairly regular legal threats by directors against AUDA members I'm pretty sure that if those directors have the keys to the hen house they will be use them improperly to remove people they don't like.

Why were you strongly against the code of conduct yet now in favour of Simon's similar resolutions? Can you explain?

https://auda.org.au/assets/auDA-AGM-Agenda-Item-8-Proposed-Text.pdf

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 3.48.20 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 3.48.40 pm.png

Lemon

Top Contributor
Why were you strongly against the code of conduct yet now in favour of Simon's similar resolutions? Can you explain?
I was not against a code of conduct. Most would agree that a membership organisation should have a code of conduct.
I was against the fact that it was implemented without going through the proper process and being put to members. I also did not agree that it prevented freedom of speech. Everyone has the right to express their opinions and I have spent many a day, in my youth, protesting for the rights of the individual.
I'm pretty sure that if those directors have the keys to the hen house they will be use them improperly to remove people they don't like.
The Corporations Act is very clear about how Director's use their power and position.

The resolution put forward by Simon is to be voted on by members, it is up to them to decide to pass it.

johno69

Top Contributor
I don't care how petty it is, but I wouldn't vote for you because I find your avatar offensive.
Not to mention the overuse of bolding in your please vote for me email and your linked website.

snoopy

Top Contributor
The Corporations Act is very clear about how Director's use their power and position.

Simon's resolutions seeks to transfer the power to remove members from the membership base to directors. Would you be happy with someone like Michealla voting on whether you should go or stay?

If Simon's resolution ever got passed it would be open season on removing members and blocking others from joining, they wouldn't even need to state a reason to reject someone. How will the Corporation Law clearly protect that from happening? Please explain.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
From another thread but relevant to the elections:
" Lemon said: Are you talking about Sean. Sean has the right to stand for election if he is so inclined. He has an opinion on how auDA should be run and has a right to that opinion and a right to stand. Maybe he would have been elected.
What happened is that he was pressured into not standing for election by his peers."

Actually the reason's are long why I did not decide to run. Yes I feel confident I would have made it onto the Board this year in both Supply or Demand if I had strategised ( membership and vote stacked) to do it;"

1. I believe auDA and auDA / Board may be setting themselves up for a Class Action Lawsuit.

Being on the auDA Board has a very high risk factor even if you vote against some decisions.

A few people have scoffed at this when I did the right thing and informed them of the current risks but this is a serious risk I have had professional advice on. I may not be eligible to be part of a class action lawsuit if I was on the auDA Board and I may in turn face myself as part of the parties named being on the auDA Board.

The auDA situation is very different to that of the uk and .nz in some ways even more "rigged" I would say etc.

2. The auDA name is completely tarnished by actions undertaken by some associated with it. Who would seriously want to be associated with the auDA Board in it's current state, the election process, ways memberships are limited, the information sought here https://www.righttoknow.org.au/request/au_historical_financial_irregula

3. I will use my time and effort in review of the auDA Constitution.

4. I do agree Ned and Nicole are well placed to represent true Demand members and also most .au consumers ane existing .au registrants.

5. I was offered support and votes by various people. I was also told of other people who had the same offers put to them... .. so I know the power that be behind the scenes and people who seemingly have taken up offers..

6. I have joined www.Accan.org.au I will become far more active with them. I agree with what they wrote here .. nothing has changed. auDA/ various Boards have made no attempts to contact all existing .au registrants

https://www.arnnet.com.au/article/5...cern-over-proposed-domain-name-system-changes

7. The Commonwealth Government review of auDA will be only the first review. More investigations and reviews will go deeper and it will also be a bipartisan review further down the track due to the very close political parties involved over the years. A simply search of the suburb "MENTONE VICTORIA", members, auDA staff, Ministers, auDA Board Directors, Ex Board Dirtecors sheds light on easy links other political parties and media have an interest in now also.

8. I expect 2018/ 2019 will see more Australian Government Senate enquiries look into auDA ( and other people, past contractors, contracts, tendering processes, expenses, staff issues etc) now and in the past...
9. Everyone knows the current auDA membership model can be "rigged and stacked" and so can a position on the auDA Board....It has been for too long.. People complain but nothing gets changed ever!

This year we appear to see membership links of parties that may include people using many different staff, business names, family members to stack themselves into a possible Board seat... Seriously does anyone think this is in the best interests of .au domain name registrants.. Who are the whole focus of why auDA exists some people forget!
10. Why does auDA and the Board refuse to use the Canada Membership model FREE membership open to all registrants. Limit of 1 vote. Online forum for Q and A of candidates.
10. The apparent conflicts of interest at auDA / Board of some seem to be a very serious concern. This has brought the reputation of the organisation to it's lowest level ever.

11. The media will be investigation auDA far more. I have serious concerns to be lumped in the the auDA Board until things see dramatic improvement in many areas and probably until after the Governments investigations and reviews.

Now I know why several people, have jumped ship from the auDA Board... smart move to avoid going down with it completely.

12. I will be voting for Ned and Nicole. They are upfront where they stand and I think their intentions are the best thing for auDA, for all Members, For Government and for all .au registrants and internet users who know and trust the existing .au namespace. They are not after a fast buck from another competing .au extension like others are.. .They both have called out many untruths which have even gotten the proposed extra .au to this stage. As long as they BOTH stay vocal, informed and active they will have my support.

I believe the Government must set up a fail safe .au management model and backup Government run wholesale registry model asap.

I also think a full assessment should be done if the Department of Communications could and should perform this Australian Critical Infrastructure role.

At the moment THERE IS NO BACK UP PLAN for the .au administration or wholesale registry...We have a foreign owned "for profit" company running Australian Critical Infrastructure and a current tender process which could see more new "for profit" owners from overseas again.. this of course helps some people remain where they are making $$.
https://www.communications.gov.au/what-we-do/internet

https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/constitution/
"8 WINDING UP
"
On dissolution of the Company, the right to administer the .au ccTLD must either be transferred on to another entity nominated or approved by the Commonwealth of Australia or, in the absence of such approval, be transferred to the Commonwealth of Australia.

If upon the winding up or dissolution of auDA there remains, after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities, any property or money whatsoever, the remaining assets shall not be paid or distributed to the Members but shall be transferred to the subsequent entity approved by the Commonwealth of Australia to manage the .au ccTLD."

snoopy

Top Contributor
1. I believe auDA and auDA / Board may be setting themselves up for a Class Action Lawsuit.

Whilst initially it seemed unlikely one only needs to look at the Nominet situation to see how things could pan out. Surely Nominet are going to be involved in a lawsuit (brought by registrants) for supporting the the auto-billing of credit cards.

Lemon

Top Contributor
This year we appear to see membership links of parties that may include people using many different staff, business names, family members to stack themselves into a possible Board seat... Seriously does anyone think this is in the best interests of .au domain name registrants.. Who are the whole focus of why auDA exists some people forget!
Look at the memberships and tell me who has stacked the vote.
From what I can see there is one that stands out above all the others.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Look at the memberships and tell me who has stacked the vote.

I believe you’ll be relying on other AUDA directors proxies for almost all of your votes, that is branch stacked votes.

Who else supports directors removing members and evasive viewpoints on .au apart from other AUDA directors?

Lemon

Top Contributor
You support the ability for crooks and criminals to be on the auDA board.
You actively encourage people not to invest in the .au namespace.
Remind me why you are a member?

snoopy

Top Contributor
You support the ability for crooks and criminals to be on the auDA board.

No I don't support criminals joining the board, but I don't support all the other crazy stuff Simon has written into those resolutions, which people can read here,

https://auda.org.au/assets/auDA-AGM-Agenda-Item-8-Proposed-Text.pdf

You actively encourage people not to invest in the .au namespace.

Yes! It is a bad place to invest particularly with the .au proposal, even one of the drop catchers said the market is doing badly. Good for development only.

Remind me why you are a member?

It is in my FAQ section here,

https://www.dntrade.com.au/members/snoopy.543/#info

findtim

Top Contributor
i really didn't want to step in here, its what you don't see that is the real problem, supply has been stacked for YEARS but they push the conversation to demand always as if to say " ohhh we don't do it"
take this election, do i have to state the obvious on the supply side?

this is why you find that my post above about more membership so we reduce the risk of stacking gets likes, because its actually demand class that wants the membership growth and thus the HONESTY growth.

( not shane ) "board stacking" , i'm on the recruitment sub committee and i have to say that 1 person which i will not name who applied for the demand class director, and so adamantly desired the position has not nominated for the election, from my personal point of view, that person cost me 2 days + of my work time and doesn't even try again, thats 2 days were i spent my time at NO expense to auda wasted, sorry , but i have to get really pissed off by that kind of mentality and i think i am very justified in that opinion.

its the REAL demand class candidates that actually care ( and i have to say this does include you ian, i know you do actually care) but at elections we always get the "fly by nighters" , "one night stands" and you've never heard of them, nor will you again ! , they are sold the glam so they can grab a few votes, they don't post election statements, they don't engage on forums, all we get is an email.......... MOST likely only 1 as thats the effort they will put in, next is a phone call to another candidate asking " can you give me your 2nd vote" and thats about it.
i can say this as thats what it was like last year when i ran, but i BLOODY RAN !!!

membership needs to be seriously looked at, VERY seriously and i am driving that every chance i get, just this yesterday afternoon erhan and i were discussing it.

so bottom line is , my suggestion is stop pointing fingers as you don't have enough, work towards a solution instead of harping on about the problem that EVERYONE is aware of.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
crooks and criminals
i answered this question to another director this week so here is my stance as a tim-ism
no matter what my children do, i will be there for them, if one of them goes to jail i will be waiting outside when they leave, as far as i am concerned "time served is time served"

SO many great things have happened because of failed people, just search "famous bankrupts" and you'll find abe lincoln, henry ford, walt disney to name a few, they aren't crooks they are people that are willing to take risks and PUSH the line, KFC only started once the colonial retired, the list goes on, even christpher skase who everyone hated UNLESS you lived on the gold coast, when i was their he was a god and still is because of all the developements he put in place have been making people money for the last 20 ish years.
aussie homeloans guy, he came within a whisker of being bankrupt, dreamworld ! ( forget the recent tradgety) but its has bought millionsssssssssssssss of dollars to the gold coast but it once failed.
alan bond, he won the americas cup and CHANGED the face of sport forever, he won the unwinable ! i still remember EXACTLY where is was as they crossed the line ( but thats another story, ask me at the agm after party ) , alan also bought XXXX beer and changed the beer industry in qld which was a dead set "supply v demand" monopoly until he arrived, qld hated him but the aftermath was a freedom we never thought we were going to get.

i seriously can go on forever, so if this post doesn't kill the current bullsh*t thats going on i don't know what will?
my stance is this should be handled by the CAC, we have all agreed that there needs to be a CoC so lets do it the way the board at/after the SGM agreed to do it.

the law says you have paid your dues so how on earth can auda over rule that?
tim

Cheyne

Top Contributor
the law says you have paid your dues so how on earth can auda over rule that?

Vetting of board members is commonplace, especially in the NFP space.

As I said in another post and probably one of the only times you'll find me agreeing with snoopy, I feel the proposed text is far too broad in some of its definitions but I support the exclusion of those with a criminal conviction and those who are or have been bankrupt.

At some point in their lives these people have made poor life choices that has landed them in that position. People with these marks on their record struggle to get a credit card even after "time served", so I don't see how there is any justification for them to be able to be elected to a board where they will be responsible for high-level decision making.

Christopher Skase may be considered as a God by some, but that doesn't mean I would want to have seen him on the board of auDA (or any NFP for that matter).

findtim

Top Contributor
michael jordan ( part version )
"I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.

Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed."

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think the criminal conviction stuff is vastly different to anyone who has ever if their life been bankrupt. Who cares if someone was once bankrupt.

I get the feeling part of Simon's proposal is an attempt to prevent Ned getting on the board. Maybe Simon would like to post here and explain his position.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member