What's new

WeddingInvitations.com.au & ChristmasCards.com.au

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Still, can't help but feel slightly ticked that they both went down, disallowing me my bid, and also somehow catching the domain. Amazing competence, in a way, I guess.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are kicking themselves about today in general as well. Sounds like they left a couple of grand on the table, not just with the main two domains, but no doubt quite a few other bids didn't make it onto a number of domains today.

One of these days I'd love NetFleet to try testing an auto-extension model, whereby they end the auctions about 5 minutes earlier, but if a domain received a bid in the last 20 seconds, the auction is automatically extended for another 20 seconds, and if there is another bid it extends for 20 seconds again and again, until their are no more bids.

I think a feature like this would give people a few extra seconds to decide if they have just been outbid whether they want to go a bit further and has the potential to squeeze another 20% out of buyers.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I was going to throw another 2k on top. I bid 17k at 10 seconds out, went green for me but right on my bid. Went to bid again, to add a little more, it froze / 404. I don't know what the other bidder put on top, but I did outbid him, it seems, before it went 404 again in the last 10 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, it's how it is so bad luck - but i'd certainly like to been given the oppertunity to throw that extra $2k on and see if I had won. But Netfleet went down, again.

Having read it I wouldn't call this bad luck, I'd say you lost for the two reasons, bad strategy and/or inadequate budget. The people who put "little bits on at the end" usually just increase the price for the eventual winner. Go to any realestate auction and watch the type of bidder who hum and huh and put on little bids, they rarely win because they don't know what they are bidding to & they haven't done adequate homework, they are on the back foot trying to react to what the leading bidder is doing instead of having a clear idea of what their budget really is.

With the site going up an down that increases the difficulty, it really requires people to be careful to get their bid in with enough time to allow for problems.

So as was said the other day, know what you budget is & go to it as late as possible. If the site is having problems then obvious that needs to be allowed for.

zeebs

To be fair, I bid once at 10 seconds out and then again as needed. It's never let me down before. Except this time. Anyway, lessons learnt. I think it's time someone helped drop become useful.

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
I think it's time someone helped drop become useful.

There's only one thing that can help Drop become more successful, and it is Drop themselves. I'm sure they have their reasons for using their current plan of catching domain names, which we all know is not overly successful. They get the big ones sometimes but it is rare.

johno69

Top Contributor
Yeah I'm sure it feels pretty bad right now. Just learn the lesson and bid $19K next time, I guess.

Have to agree. Bid your absolute highest you are willing to pay, if you win great, if you lose so be it.

Congrats Tim.

zeebs

I've learnt a valuable lesson today and will certainly make sure to bat with 100% of my swing in every instance going forward. I left far to much to chance by relying on the auction system remaining online. I got too comfortable with a method that had appeared to work for me on a number of previous occasions!

Well done Tim and congratulations on besting me with that one.

twodogs

Great name Tim, congratulations and well done on backing your instincts in an industry you're already involved in.

I look forward to seeing you make something worthwhile out of it.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member