What's new

Transfer of .AU

DavidL

Top Contributor
I know Drop charges "only" 49.95 but that adds to my rant, if they charge "only" that, then how much money are the other companies making out of air? How much does it cost to them? (What`s the margin?)
REALLY??????? :eek:

If that is correct then its a whole other story.....REGISTRARS :mad:

Who did start this rip-off and why no one at AUDA put a ban on this?

The registrars that discount (which is all of them if you ask nicely!) do have to do a bit of work.

They need to distribute & chase up physical forms to be completed
They then need to carefully check the details of the current owner & the elligibility of the new owner
They then need to store these records indefinitely.
They also need to register the domain for a fresh 2 year period.

So drop et al charging $50 is not that bad esp as it costs them $20 for the new rego. There's only $30 margin in the deal - would you stuff around & chase up paperwork for that?

No one likes these fees - least of all me. Netfleet would be the company most affected by them. However the registrars have done a fair bit now that transfer fees are competitive.

To further progress, we need auda to drop the physical paperwork requirement and, to a lesser extent, stop the need for a new 2 yr renewal.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
I know Drop charges "only" 49.95 but that adds to my rant, if they charge "only" that, then how much money are the other companies making out of air? How much does it cost to them? (What`s the margin?)

The registrars that discount (which is all of them if you ask nicely!) do have to do a bit of work.

They need to distribute & chase up physical forms to be completed
They then need to carefully check the details of the current owner & the elligibility of the new owner
They then need to store these records indefinitely.
They also need to register the domain for a fresh 2 year period.

So drop et al charging $50 is not that bad esp as it costs them $20 for the new rego. There's only $30 margin in the deal - would you stuff around & chase up paperwork for that?

No one likes these fees - least of all me. Netfleet would be the company most affected by them. However the registrars have done a fair bit now that transfer fees are competitive.

To further progress, we need auda to drop the physical paperwork requirement and, to a lesser extent, stop the need for a new 2 yr renewal.

seee??? I knew we could blame AUDA for something: paperwork!!!

Luckily we are talking about internet domain names...and the dear old paperwork still in place? :rolleyes:

montecristo

Top Contributor
A dedicated transfer business would be a great idea and probably do really well if they could streamline/automate it (to a point) where it cost the customer circa $20 and cheaper for bulk transfer arrangements.
Surely if this was the only objective of the business the margins would be big enough considering you would ahve almost the entire planet scrambling through your doors.

Any takers? :)

DavidL

Top Contributor
A dedicated transfer business would be a great idea and probably do really well if they could streamline/automate it (to a point) where it cost the customer circa $20 and cheaper for bulk transfer arrangements.
Surely if this was the only objective of the business the margins would be big enough considering you would ahve almost the entire planet scrambling through your doors.

Any takers? :)

You'd want to buy domaintransfers.com.au for any such venture of course. Pls PM offers ;)

Seriously though, remember that transferred domains must be registered for a new 2 year period. So registrars have to pay Ausregistry their $20 wholesale fee and their fee for service would be additional

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member