What's new

Snoopy's Gems

snoopy

Top Contributor
but certainly 99.9% of hand regs that are listed in the appraisal forum have zero value.

I think so, unless people are looking for the needle in the haystack they are unlikely to find much. It is always been about rejecting thousands of names and registering 1 in my view.

For the people who just register whatever they think of or every third name they find available there is little hope in my view (stuff like vouchersmart.com.au, onlinebettingsports.com.au etc).

Last edited:

DavidL

Top Contributor
We all luv ya Snoopy, don't take it to heart, I think David and all of us appreciate your opinion. I find your candid response to au domains and value worth reading. :D

Don

Thoroughly agree. Sometimes the forum needs some balance to the rest of us getting carried away about our million dollar names :rolleyes:

Snoopy, like others have said don't stop calling things as you see them. Keep calling a spade a spade and a brandable-3d-hyphen-net.au a dud but just bear in mind the potential consequences of *some* your posts. The NP post damaged Ron's credibility, my/Netfleet's integrity and ever so slightly reduced the values of all our domains (when we had sales reported each week in DNJ, we'd have regular interest in .AU domains from overseas - this has definitely lessened). It might have been better to have done in private if it was important to you.

Anyway, I apologise for upsetting you. I honestly didn't mean anything when I posted the thread. I do appreciate your candour and your humour and that's what I meant to show in the thread.

Wow! Good to see some spirited chattr on the forums haha!

This is nothing - you should have seen the battles we used to have on DomainState ;)

I'll stick with my original statement that you can be lucky and stumble upon hidden gems, just like those. :)

Yes but it's not just the hidden gems. Say you carefully register 100 domains. In 5 years time, 2 might be worth $X,XXX, 10 might be worth $XXX, 50 might be worth $XX and 38 worthless. but it would still be a healthy return from an investment POV

Shane

Top Contributor
Yes but it's not just the hidden gems. Say you carefully register 100 domains. In 5 years time, 2 might be worth $X,XXX, 10 might be worth $XXX, 50 might be worth $XX and 38 worthless. but it would still be a healthy return from an investment POV

Very true. But I fear that a lot of newbies to the forum will register their 100 domains (carefully or otherwise) and very few of them will still be in the game in 5 years time. If people are registering dozens of names and posting what they think are the best ones in the appraisal forum, then I shudder to think what other bad domains they have.

I just think it's important that people are warned upfront about these things. I registered a lot of crap in my early days, and over the last five years my portfolio has decreased in size every year because I'm letting all of the rubbish expire.

If I wouldn't have wasted all that money on hand regging rubbish, and instead put it into decent names in the aftermarket (which is what I do now) I would be in a much better position today.

The earlier people learn this lesson, the better. I wish I had someone like Snoopy to slap me around in my early days!

Chris.C

Top Contributor
This sounds awfully similar to my strategy...

:D

That said, I'm reaching that point where the two year expiration is coming up and you can rest assured the "50" domains worth $XX won't be being renewed for the remaining 3 years of a 5 year plan, and the worthless ones - well...

:rolleyes:

I think the most important thing to remember, is if you hand register a domain that isn't worth $XXX today it won't be worth $X,XXX in 5 years time.

That's why Snoopy's advice of picking something up for $50 on the expiry auctions might be a better strategy, because if you buy something on the expiry suctions for $70, it might have a value to a retail business of closer to $700, and in 2 - 3 years time that retail value at least has a chance of being $X,XXX to justify ones time and effort.

snoopy

Top Contributor
The NP post damaged Ron's credibility, my/Netfleet's integrity and ever so slightly reduced the values of all our domains (when we had sales reported each week in DNJ, we'd have regular interest in .AU domains from overseas - this has definitely lessened). It might have been better to have done in private if it was important to you.

At the end of the day you were sending them sales that weren't paid for or transferred, and that is wrong on your part, you've tarnished dnjournal, not me. Ron is used to this kind of thing, he wants to know about it, without someone saying anything his report would continue to include bad data from you. So don't pretend this is about Ron looking bad.

You obviously don't think sending a whole lot of unreliable sales data is an issue and that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Anyway, I apologise for upsetting you. I honestly didn't mean anything when I posted the thread. I do appreciate your candour and your humour and that's what I meant to show in the thread.

Appreciate this David.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Very true. But I fear that a lot of newbies to the forum will register their 100 domains (carefully or otherwise) and very few of them will still be in the game in 5 years time. If people are registering dozens of names and posting what they think are the best ones in the appraisal forum, then I shudder to think what other bad domains they have.

Yeah quite possibly - certainly true that the posted ones are likely to be the best!

The earlier people learn this lesson, the better. I wish I had someone like Snoopy to slap me around in my early days!

Although, maybe if you had been slapped around early on, you might have become frustrated and given up. Maybe (this is just a theory) the initial excitement and rushing off to register crap is an essential part of the natural cycle - even the big successful domainers will have done that to some degree.

Step 1

They 'get' domains

Step 2

They get excited, register a bunch of crap domains and pay overs for a bunch of others on the aftermarket/drops

Step 3

They get a dose of realism as development, flipping, parking isn't quite a lucrative as they expected

Step 4

They either a) recognise and learn from mistakes or b) bow out of the game

Can you get to Step 4 part a) without Step 2?

DavidL

Top Contributor
At the end of the day you were sending them sales that weren't paid for or transferred, and that is wrong on your part, you've tarnished dnjournal, not me. Ron is used to this kind of thing, he wants to know about it, without someone saying anything his report would continue to include bad data from you. So don't pretend this is about Ron looking bad.

You obviously don't think sending a whole lot of unreliable sales data is an issue and that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Snoopy - I apologised to you, please stop carrying on.

Every sale that NF has reported to DNJ has completed so the data is by definition not unreliable. As I said, if you thought differently, a private 'heads-up' to Ron might have been a better course of action.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoopy - I apologised to you, please stop carrying on.

Every sale that NF has reported to DNJ has completed so the data is by definition not unreliable. As I said, if you thought differently, a private 'heads-up' to Ron might have been a better course of action.

David, it was an apology mixed with a whole lot more stuff about dnjournal and your credibility. So the person who carried on about the dnjournal "incident" is you.

I appreciate the apology and have replied to your further "blame game" commentary where you don't think it is you are are at fault and instead blame me for dnjournal no longer being willing to take your sales.

Ash

Top Contributor
Step 1

They 'get' domains

Step 2

They get excited, register a bunch of crap domains and pay overs for a bunch of others on the aftermarket/drops

Step 3

They get a dose of realism as development, flipping, parking isn't quite a lucrative as they expected

Step 4

They either a) recognise and learn from mistakes or b) bow out of the game

Step 1 - After months of trying to think of 'cool' brandables I finally 'got' domains (I have a marketing background and was keen to

'differentiate' my brand instead of just using a generic domain... and then the penny dropped)

Step 2 - I was excited and registered a bunch of 'awesome' domains; all the 'really awesome' ones were taken but I couldn't believe my luck when

I found others with huge traffic numbers (according to GKWT 'broad' search) and all it took was for me to a) add a hyphen b) drop a letter or c)

add a cool prefix like 3D (e.g. computer-games, internet-banking, laptop-computers, nsurance, 3dtablet etc... these are my best examples btw D: )

Step 3 - Smack! Reality hits and I've only managed to develop one website so far out of 40 odd. Business is booming D:

Step 4 - Watch and learn the value of domains on the drop, try not to be too disheartened and pick up my game.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo