What's new

Snoopy's Gems

DavidL

Top Contributor
As we all know, snoopy hates .au domains (except his own). He loves to spend hours here talking them down which can be pretty amusing at times. So I thought I would have a look at the posts he has made in the appraisal section and pull out a snippet from each just for fun!

Note, I have included a quote from every thread in the section so as not to be considered to be cherry-picking to prove a theory....

Words are around the wrong way, $0.

even if the term were more popular it is still something that might "work" as a search term but not as domain

Commerce.com.au is a trophy name in my view with no clear business model

I doubt this is worth anything much

Wouldn't be developing on this type of name, confusing and hard to remember

Don't see any value personally, if a few people have suddenly made offers I'd imagine they are connected

Would offer it for sale cheap, if it doesn't sell let it drop.

Dollar wise I'm not sure it really holds any value

Don't see any value in the name. Term not strong enough given the extension

Almost no popularity on either term, one shows 16 search a month, the other 0. Even if they we're ranked number 1 don't think they would cover reg fee

These aren't worth anything. Would be starting afresh

They aren't popular keywords so the names will do nothing for you

I can tell you know though there is no value, I think you are trying to convince yourself as opposed to listening

There is lots of these available isn't there? So the low quality ones won't be worth anything

$0. It is a bit like building an igloo is the desert, wrong place, wrong name

a buyer will have 100 similar choice for reg fee

the domain is in the wrong extension for that keyword, should be .com.au

$0, clumsy, keywords should be around the other way

Put down the credit card and spend some time researching the market (ie at least several months) as you are badly on the wrong track

I don't think a psychologist is going to have a big budget when looking for a domain

Personally would not be trying to develop this

If it needs to be explained the chance of it being worth anything is very low.

My favourite -
$0. It is a bit like building an igloo is the desert, wrong place, wrong name
- gold!

Thanks for the laughs snoopy!

Shane

Top Contributor
Nice list David, definitely gave me some entertainment!

I reckon Snoopy's appraisals are pretty accurate though. People hand reg rubbish, then post it on the forums expecting someone to tell them it's worth a fortune.

Unless you've been extremely lucky and stumbled upon a hidden gem, I would regard all hand regs as being $0 value until developed.

But hey, I've seen domains sell on Netfleet for $x,xxx that I wouldn't have hand reg'ed, so what would I know! :)

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Unless you've been extremely lucky and stumbled upon a hidden gem, I would regard all hand regs as being $0 value until developed.

That's a big call.. especially considering new terms are coined all the time.

Things have changed quickly in a few years, and I agree alot of rubbish gets reg'd, but look for long enough and I think you can still find a thing or two worth grabbing.

Just don't expect to make a small fortune. I've sold a fair few for $xxx-x,xxx in last 2 years.. can't be the only one and that's still good ROI.

DavidL

Top Contributor

Some of my hand regs

CloudComputing.com.au
Johnson.com.au
MindBodySpirit.com.au
PubPoker.com.au
LL.com.au
PlusSize.com.au
CookingGames.com.au

And, yes, these were registered several years ago but in years to come, domains registered today will have been registered years ago!

Of course these are some of the best examples but even a domain that's worth $200 delivers a huge ROI on a $25 reg fee (or a $7.96 pa at Ziphosting).

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I reckon Snoopy's appraisals are pretty accurate though.
Agreed, but snoopy plays big and doesn't see a lot of value the small end of town...

;)

Just don't expect to make a small fortune. I've sold a fair few for $xxx-x,xxx in last 2 years.. can't be the only one and that's still good ROI.
The vast majority of my domains were hand regged within the last 2 years and I have sold a number of these domains for four figures.

I also registered a lot of <$100 domains (though I largely blame the GKST)...

The secret is of course... experience - which is a synonym for years of mistakes and failures, with enough success to keep you solvent.

:)

If a domain is worth $0 when registered, it's still worth $0 after development - it's the site that is valuable.

;)

snoopy

Top Contributor
A
Note, I have included a quote from every thread in the section so as not to be considered to be cherry-picking to prove a theory....

David this exactly what you've done, cherry picked, example, the thread about southerncross.com.au etc goes from,

Very nice names.

Regarding southerncross.com.au, common brand name, but not sure I'd let that 20k buyer get away, perhaps a deal can be done a bit higher. I think that is a pretty good offer. Personally would not be trying to develop this name.

to (after your cherry picking)

Personally would not be trying to develop this

Personally I think you should just admit you have had major issues with me because I've my not so complimentary comments about some of Netfleet business practices and move on. Now if this was anyone else posting I'd take it as lighthearted, but in these circumstances it is very hard to read it like that, I think it is a deliberate thing by you as you still have a beef.

Shall I now expect yet more nonsense emails about how you are "done with me" and about cancelling netfleet accounts?

geodomains

Top Contributor
We all luv ya Snoopy, don't take it to heart, I think David and all of us appreciate your opinion. I find your candid response to au domains and value worth reading. :D

Don

Chris.C

Top Contributor
We all luv ya Snoopy, don't take it to heart, I think David and all of us appreciate your opinion. I find your candid response to au domains and value worth reading.
Agreed.

Though with that said - can you pleeeasssseee change your signature to:

"They're crap. Crap, crap, mega crap. I'll give you $200 for all of 'em." - Spiderman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpAx0qyPRMw&t=0m27s

That way when people post appraisals you can just say "see sig".

:D

DavidL

Top Contributor
Snoopy, over the years I have thoroughly enjoyed our banter and arguments. Really... & I enjoyed having a beer with you last year down in Melbourne.

Where I did take issue is when you tried to discredit Netfleet (successfully I might add) with DNJournal here:

http://www.namepros.com/industry-news/698907-sedo-sweeps-first-7-spots-weeks.html

You suggested to Ron that your sale wasn't going to go through when you knew that was not the case.

That gave Ron the wobbles worried that previous sales I'd reported weren't solid and meant that he now wanted to see financial evidence of each sale etc before reporting... something which is too much work to do when you aren't handling the escrow.

Until then I had performed a manual verification process of my own which was sufficient for him and meant .AU sales got some great exposure (and NOT a single sale was misreported - those that didn't go through were not passed on to Ron)

I don't mind you bagging Netfleet or AU domains but when you try to influence a third party not to trust me, that's when I start to think 'Hang on... this is more than just banter'. But when you do it publically - well that really is when I take issue...

EDIT:
Now if this was anyone else posting I'd take it as lighthearted

Oh and the original post was indeed lighthearted... course it was!! :)

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
You suggested to Ron that your sale wasn't going to go through when you knew that was not the case.

That gave Ron the wobbles worried that previous sales I'd reported weren't solid and meant that he now wanted to see financial evidence of each sale etc before reporting... something which is too much work to do when you aren't handling the escrow.

Until then I had performed a manual verification process of my own which was sufficient for him and meant .AU sales got some great exposure (and NOT a single sale was misreported - those that didn't go through were not passed on to Ron)

David that is just nonsense, when my sale was reported in dnjournal it had not been paid for or transferred (as posted in that namepros thread), there was obviously no "manual verification", you were just reporting sales when an auction was over on netfleet. That sale was complete a week after it was reported in dnjournal, that doesn't make for reliable data.

That isn't what I said at all, from the thread,

"Regarding businessideas.com.au this is one of mine, as yet it hasn't been paid for or transferred and the auction only finished 2 days ago."

Billy01

Top Contributor
Snoopy you are right 91% of the time

You're why I read and am on this forum. Please don't stop telling it like it is. (Just don't do it with my domains) Hats off to you.

Now handbags at 3 paces and everyone make up

Timmy

Banned
Wow! Good to see some spirited chattr on the forums haha!

Can definitely see both sides of the coin here - perhaps time to let sleeping dogs Lye... :D

Shane

Top Contributor
Some of my hand regs

CloudComputing.com.au
Johnson.com.au
MindBodySpirit.com.au
PubPoker.com.au
LL.com.au
PlusSize.com.au
CookingGames.com.au

And, yes, these were registered several years ago but in years to come, domains registered today will have been registered years ago!

Of course these are some of the best examples but even a domain that's worth $200 delivers a huge ROI on a $25 reg fee (or a $7.96 pa at Ziphosting).

I'll stick with my original statement that you can be lucky and stumble upon hidden gems, just like those. :)

Maybe my comment that all hand regs have zero value was a little rough, but certainly 99.9% of hand regs that are listed in the appraisal forum have zero value.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo