What's new

New GTLDs

Honan

Top Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has purchased any of the new gTLDs and would like to hear any other comments people would care to share?

Cheers,
Martin
Yes, Martin. My huge ego forced me to buy some vanity new gTLDs
I know it was stupid, however fabulous , as an enom reseller, had cheap prices on .guru and .sexy
I keep repeating to myself Mike Mann's advice on new gTLDs......."go short"
I think he means sell quickly rather than length of the name.
A huge disadvantage for new gTLDs is the way safari handles them.
Safari is the default browser for apple products like iPad and iPhone, as we all know.
Most people do not bother to instal a different browser on their apple devices, I am led to believe.
Safari automatically defaults to a search engine of the users choice when a new gTLD is typed into the URL bar.
So if you want to use wordpress, you cannot even get to /WP-admin on safari, because it will just do a search in google or whatever and list every site except yours.
Try it for yourself
Ask to borrow someone's iPhone and type in to the URL bar one of your new gTLDs. What do you see?
I believe the default to search engine setting in safari can only be used to change search engines and cannot remove the search function
FYI
My new gTLD is www.Joseph.guru
It cost me about $20 and I wasted about the same amount on scent.sexy and some Indonesian language .guru because the word for teacher in indonesian is guru. I consider all my new gTLDs to be a waste of money that provided me with some entertainment.
Hopefully my ego will let me drop www.Joseph.guru in a year so I can put the money to much better use , for example pissing it up against a wall.
Oh and shit, it was such a surprise to read snoppy has not invested in new gTLDs , not.. I love auto correct . Snoppy. Ha ha
Love
J

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
i typed in cool.ventures (which i know is a site and i am using safari) it went to search engine and it was top spot so i clicked and it opened up to the site ….crazy

nevs5121

Depends on why you are buying them I guess

Don't forget if you want to "flip" them you will have the 60 day "Change of Registrar" to consider

Also --logically -- the more domains means possibly affecting the price of TLD's --downward of course

For example .london is on the cards and that has to compete with London oriented .coms or .co.uk --only commonsense I would think !

Stephen M

findtim

Top Contributor
#snoopy - instead of wasting your time trying to criticise my approach why not contribute something positive? It’s called initiative… If you want to offer two line answers that’s alright with me. I’m trying to create a dialogue but that obviously failed.

that's not criticism , that's advice !

I speed read from the start and it seems many others agree so really it is a dialogue but seems from your replies is one that only happens if you agree with the comment.

as for me I haven't bought any nor intend to , even dubbo.dentist would not attract me I think :)

tim

MCUH

Yes, Martin. My huge ego forced me to buy some vanity new gTLDs
I know it was stupid, however fabulous , as an enom reseller, had cheap prices on .guru and .sexy
I keep repeating to myself Mike Mann's advice on new gTLDs......."go short"
I think he means sell quickly rather than length of the name.
Safari is the default browser for apple products like iPad and iPhone, as we all know.
Most people do not bother to instal a different browser on their apple devices, I am led to believe.
Safari automatically defaults to a search engine of the users choice when a new gTLD is typed into the URL bar.
So if you want to use wordpress, you cannot even get to /WP-admin on safari, because it will just do a search in google or whatever and list every site except yours.
Try it for yourself
Ask to borrow someone's iPhone and type in to the URL bar one of your new gTLDs. What do you see?
I believe the default to search engine setting in safari can only be used to change search engines and cannot remove the search function
FYI
My new gTLD is www.Joseph.guru
It cost me about $20 and I wasted about the same amount on scent.sexy and some Indonesian language .guru because the word for teacher in indonesian is guru. I consider all my new gTLDs to be a waste of money that provided me with some entertainment.
Hopefully my ego will let me drop www.Joseph.guru in a year so I can put the money to much better use , for example pissing it up against a wall.
Oh and shit, it was such a surprise to read snoppy has not invested in new gTLDs , not.. I love auto correct . Snoppy. Ha ha
Love
J

I like your logo Joseph - do you intend to do some SEO for your new gTLD?

Honan

Top Contributor
I like your logo Joseph - do you intend to do some SEO for your new gTLD?
SEO would certainly be a challenge for me, because my new gTLD www.Joseph.guru does not have a web site.
I will certainly consider it.
Maybe one of the highly knowledgable and experienced DNTrade.com.au members could point me in the direction of how to do SEO on a domain name that does not have its own website ;)

Honan

Top Contributor
Depends on why you are buying them I guess

Don't forget if you want to "flip" them you will have the 60 day "Change of Registrar" to consider

Also --logically -- the more domains means possibly affecting the price of TLD's --downward of course

For example .london is on the cards and that has to compete with London oriented .coms or .co.uk --only commonsense I would think !

Stephen M
Hi Stephen
Why would you need to change registrar in order to flip?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Try it for yourself

Interesting to note that if you use http://www. it does open a new gtld site
~
http://www.domaininvesting.com/safa...vesting+(DomainInvesting.com+(Elliot's+Blog))

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member