What's new

New GTLDs

MCUH

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has purchased any of the new gTLDs and would like to hear any other comments people would care to share?

Cheers,
Martin

nina

Top Contributor
umm.. yes I confess - I bought mymtb.bike and dnn.guru. I had to stop myself because it's just ridiculous - but I do love them.

I haven't seen many live sites at the moment promoted with the new tld's yet.

If I could find a reason I would invest in them but now what I am seeing is that there are so many diluted tld's coming - I'm hoping that it will make the standard ones more valuable.

Last edited:

MCUH

Hi Nina,

Thanks for replying.

I have bought the following new gTLDs and I want more!

I haven't seen any live sites either but I have noticed that many of these good domains are already parked with Sedo and a few of them are already being sold on Sedo. I noticed that someone was selling investing.tips and a few other good ones for about $1300.00.

My advice is check the new gTLDs still to come before you buy any to understand how they will affect your potential and/or current purchases as some future domains could render some domains pointless in my opinion.

To date I have purchased the following:
caravans.company
chairs.tips
handbags.tips
televisions.company
airconditioners.company
tyres.company
travelinsurance.singles
harddrives.technology
mobilephones.technology
harnessracing.tips

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I've bought 2.

I'm not likely to buy many more, as there's very few of these extensions that I'm interested in. Most of the ones I like are still in contention (i.e. multiple parties applied for the extension), so it will be a while before they hit the market.

I don't see myself getting more than a dozen or so all up, possibly a lot less depending on how the market is looking and what's in my price range.

I know it's still early days, but they're not exactly setting the world on fire so far.

I'll be sticking with .com (majority of my portfolio) and .com.au (small but growing proportion of my portfolio). New gTLDs have no part to play in my current plans, but maybe in the future they will if there's a strong market and it's worth spending my time and money in that space.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Have bought 0, plan to buy another 0, and eventually expand my new tld collection to 0.

If I change my mind ring up my credit card company for me and have the tap cut off.

MCUH

Well so far the consensus here appears to view the new gTLDs as a waste of time but I beg to differ… The “against” comments lack any critical thought or explanation; it’s great that you took the time to “contribute” to the discussion but it may be worthwhile clarifying why you think they’re no good unless the new domains are like voodoo and are linked to witches and we should all be burnt for heresy?

Let me guess they’re no good for SEO blah blah blah blah… that will all change soon enough and we all know that Google won’t be ignoring these because there’s money to be made. Many of the page one sites on Google aren’t there because they’re highly relevant but because they work that SEO “magic”. I actually consider that these new gTLDs domains simplify the whole process in many ways because they are targeted in a similar manner to the previous domains. For Example, .com.au vs .company – you tell me the difference?

The reality is there aren’t enough domains available and this will create new opportunities for domainers, business people, scammers and many others.

I remember reading an article about the “old guard” who now own most of the best domains but thought the internet and domains were crazy back then but look how that worked out for them.

If they are a waste of time will someone offer some critical thought as to why they are no good and what they consider the future holds?

Martin

nina

Top Contributor
Martin that is a fair comment. But I think the scale in which I'm seeing tld's being released is so much bigger. When I look at sedo or flippa for domain names, they all seem to be the more conservative names.

I guess it also comes down to price - I'm not sure if it's possible to get really good value fancy tld domain names now - they all seem to be over $20USD.

I'm still seeing some great AU domains names coming through - I wish I had the money to invest in more of them, but at the moment I don't (well not without some dang good explaining and some strategy I guess) so if I had my choice I'd be buying .com.au domains over the .com ones, although I still think as a general observation from my lack of experience, .com domains still are the top ones in the world when it comes to value.

Boy oh boy do I wish I had the vision to register xd.com when I registered xd.com.au - I would have had plenty more investment capital if I did.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Reason 1 - they are confusing because people are used to .com .com.au. If you tell someone to look up mobilephones.technology they'll go huh?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Well so far the consensus here appears to view the new gTLDs as a waste of time but I beg to differ… The “against” comments lack any critical thought or explanation; it’s great that you took the time to “contribute” to the discussion but it may be worthwhile clarifying why you think they’re no good unless the new domains are like voodoo and are linked to witches and we should all be burnt for heresy?

Let me guess they’re no good for SEO blah blah blah blah… that will all change soon enough and we all know that Google won’t be ignoring these because there’s money to be made. Many of the page one sites on Google aren’t there because they’re highly relevant but because they work that SEO “magic”. I actually consider that these new gTLDs domains simplify the whole process in many ways because they are targeted in a similar manner to the previous domains. For Example, .com.au vs .company – you tell me the difference?

The reality is there aren’t enough domains available and this will create new opportunities for domainers, business people, scammers and many others.

I remember reading an article about the “old guard” who now own most of the best domains but thought the internet and domains were crazy back then but look how that worked out for them.

If they are a waste of time will someone offer some critical thought as to why they are no good and what they consider the future holds?

Martin

The irony is you presented no such analysis either and nor you didn't ask for it.*

Should naysayers have to use their "voodoo" skills to determine, "how many names have you registered", actually means "present your detailed analysis if you say 0"

* I have only skim read the post above. I saw the word "voodoo" and "blah blah blah" and it was obvious where it was heading.

helloworld

Top Contributor

Martin

Nope it's just that it''s been discussed multiple times in other threads, then you make some purchases and want to brag about it.

If you're buying them for SEO value then you're doing it wrong. Sure it's great to give your stuff a boost where possible but you haven't been paying attention for the past 2 years where google says to focus on brand.

I have real evidence of branded websites ranking much higher than keyword domains. Though keyword domains still do well.

I'm not part of the old guard. I'm not even a real domainer.

Just do the math.

Lets say you buy 10 domains @ $100 each on the basis you can see the future, you hold onto these domains for 10 years and no one wants them cause they can still buy brandnameindustry.com which is far more valuable.

How many type ins are you going to get? None.

I thought I saw an ad for hotels.com cross promoting hotels.yeah last night. I just went to have a look and it doesn't resolve. I can't remember what the extension was now. You expect people to remember a bunch of extensions when in most cases people can't even remember if you're set up as a .net or .org

Crikey I still have friends a nd fans calling my site .com even though it's .com.au. Thankfully I own the .com

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor

Martin

Martin, you can make your own judgement based on your experience and the information available.

I've made my decision and essentially it boils down to:
  • I don't think I'll make (much) money in new gTLDs
  • My money and time is better focused elsewhere ('opportunity cost' would be another way to put it)

I don't intend to try and persuade anyone else as to the merits or shortcomings of new gTLDs, people can make up their own minds taking into account their own personal circumstances.

Last edited:

MCUH

#snoopy - instead of wasting your time trying to criticise my approach why not contribute something positive? It’s called initiative… If you want to offer two line answers that’s alright with me. I’m trying to create a dialogue but that obviously failed.

#snoopy your first comment was pointless and didn’t add anything at all so why bother? Maybe self-gratification, complete boredom, filling in time while you’re on the throne, I don’t really care, no one cares because your comment was pointless as wasteful like an oxygen thief.

As for my lack of analysis you so gladly pointed out you may want to consider the below data and information. I’m not going to provide a “proper” analysis but I will share some data and information with you everyone to highlight why I consider the new gTLDs may be appropriate for “some” people.

I couldn’t find anything else that was more current than the attached data which is probably reliable as it’s from AUDA at least.
FY 2011/2012 Q4 – Australian Domain Registration Info from AUDA (See Attachment)

ThedomainsDOTCOM (TD) have been covering the new gTLDs and stated in a recent article “that as of 1 April 14 there were 414,000 new gTLDs registered”.

According to nTLDStats, which is also a reliable or valid source of data as of 3.36PM today there have been 415,913 new gTLDs registered.

Currently Goflabby has the largest share with 29.98% of domains registered or in domain numbers this represents about 124,224. .guru has been the most popular with 26,212 domains registered with Goflabby since 27.1.14.

About Goflabby’s Share - .guru is followed by:
.photography
.today
.directory.
.tips
.technology
.clothing.
.company
.land
.equipment

The remaining 38% of domains include .computer and others that have been released.

What this all means is that there is something major happening, it could even be magic but my guess is that the market has shifted and your either blind, holding too many .coms, .aus, or other domains that will see their “value” shift somewhat as new and better ranking domains take their place because of Google’s new algorithms.

Furthermore, if you’d like to see how Google is changing their approach you can click the magic link - http://blog.europeandomaincentre.com/156/ - the heading is ‘How to Beat Google’s Latest Algorithm Using the New gTLDs’.

As I understand, there is a new domain coming out called .bogan – maybe you could claim this all for yourself #snoopy?

#Bacon Farmer – you’re right, it will confuse people, maybe even #snoopy but given time this will change along with people’s knowledge and how these domains are promoted by the companies who own them, by the registrars that sell them and by the people that buy them.

Martin

Attachments

• AUDA.JPG
    AUDA.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 7

snoopy

Top Contributor
ThedomainsDOTCOM (TD) have been covering the new gTLDs and stated in a recent article “that as of 1 April 14 there were 414,000 new gTLDs registered”.

According to nTLDStats, which is also a reliable or valid source of data as of 3.36PM today there have been 415,913 new gTLDs registered.

Currently Goflabby has the largest share with 29.98% of domains registered or in domain numbers this represents about 124,224. .guru has been the most popular with 26,212 domains registered with Goflabby since 27.1.14.

About Goflabby’s Share - .guru is followed by:
.photography
.today
.directory.
.tips
.technology
.clothing.
.company
.land
.equipment

The remaining 38% of domains include .computer and others that have been released.

What this all means is that there is something major happening, it could even be magic but my guess is that the market has shifted and your either blind, holding too many .coms, .aus, or other domains that will see their “value” shift somewhat as new and better ranking domains take their place because of Google’s new algorithms.

Furthermore, if you’d like to see how Google is changing their approach you can click the magic link - http://blog.europeandomaincentre.com/156/ - the heading is ‘How to Beat Google’s Latest Algorithm Using the New gTLDs’.

As I understand, there is a new domain coming out called .bogan – maybe you could claim this all for yourself #snoopy?

#Bacon Farmer – you’re right, it will confuse people, maybe even #snoopy but given time this will change along with people’s knowledge and how these domains are promoted by the companies who own them, by the registrars that sell them and by the people that buy them.

Martin

414,000 registrations spread over lots of new tlds is way under prior new tlds though.

.Mobi got to 500k registration in about 6 months for example.

http://gigaom.com/2007/05/03/419-dotmobi-hits-500000-registrations/

.co did it in 2 months,

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/co-domain-hits-500000-registrations-milestone-102963709.html

You see "something major" whilst others see "the same thing that has happened time and time again". Only this time the numbers per tld are less than 10% of what past new tlds used to get (for the best perfuming ones). And those past, "better performing new tlds" have near no aftermarket. Trying putting reasonable sounding .co or .info up for sale.

The worst performing new tlds get almost nothing, like .tattoo with a bit over 1,000 registrations.

You talk about Godaddy share but explain nothing about it. They've got 30% of the new tld market, are you saying this is a positive? If so why is this a positive factor?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Just do the math.

Lets say you buy 10 domains @ $100 each on the basis you can see the future, you hold onto these domains for 10 years and no one wants them cause they can still buy brandnameindustry.com which is far more valuable.

How many type ins are you going to get? None.

Good to see it back to some real world maths.

Personally I think it is very hard in domains to even make money from wildly popular extensions, .com and .com.au. For .com the holding cost are low and it you compared it to other extensions the demand is many multiples higher. Yet even in this extension is very hard to actually make a profit.

If you take a typical selling rate for a good quality portfolio of say 1% a year and names cost $9 to renew + adding some parking revenue in the mix. It just isn't going to work if holding costs were say $20 a year (like most new tads-the "non premium" ones) and demand is some fraction of that 1%, plus the names will have no parking revenue.

For the people paying $100, $200 etc, that is pure madness, same thing happened in .tv and almost everyone lost money. Good for the registry though.

chris

Top Contributor
Hi all, it's good that we all have different opinions, but please everyone - keep the rules in mind and keep personal attacks out of it.

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
I'm curious if anyone has purchased any of the new gTLDs and would like to hear any other comments people would care to share?

You guys are a bunch of jokers – keep it up!

Hi Martin,

Welcome to DnTrade.

If you ask for people's comments, you should be prepared for some opinions that do not match with your own. Some of your responses have been a bit snarky, which really doesn't fit in with the general tone here.

If you are prepared to take on board advice and differing points of view this forum can be very valuable. If not, it really is your loss.

Andrew

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member