What's new

Name and shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris

Top Contributor
+1....I wasnt me :rolleyes:

Not good form pulling out without coming forward with the circumstances around it.

In my view (and maybe the legal sense), if there is record of conversation to agreed terms from both parties (it is time and date stamped), then that is a binding agreement.

Could this be the birth of a new thread in the newbies section? Maybe sticky a generic agreement to the terms of a domain sale/purchase?

Jay

Good idea Jay, I've working on some resources including some templates coming soon to DNT. Not that I think they will help in all circumstances, but might come in handy for some.

Cheers,
Chris

findtim

Top Contributor
i've read all posts:

a hand shake is a hand shake, an email saying "deal" is a contract, i've done 2 deals last week... 1 sell and 1 buy both successful , stand by your word i say.

i believe in name and shame and if we set that as a standard then i feel people will conform to that mandate because they know this may be a problem for them in the future.

i do not think its DNT's responsibility to manage this, its the 2 parties, DNT isn't a NF or Drop or Escrow, its a forum where people meet.

EVEN in the "dutch auctions" section i still don't think its DNT's issue to help the sale go through.

DNT however is a good location to warn other members of bad dealings, how that occurs i'm not sure.

tim

-------------

story:
when i am teaching a client their new wordpress site i constantly make them talk the correct words so we know what we are talking about.

a "post" is in the blog and a "page" is a page.

so maybe DNT could just create a set of words that we all universally agree is a contract? sound stupid maybe but it could save a lot of hassle.

in an email the words:

"deal done" : a solid contract to purchase the domain and there is no OUT
"sold" : as above

once again , we need a wiki

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I have seen the name in question here lately ........if they approach me i will be saying 'dont bother' ......i'll leave it at that

djuqa

Top Contributor
I was under the impression forums were to gain info and discuss real issues, not police.
Silly me!

Sorry.
Surely gaining information about potential problems with domain sales and purchases is discussing a REAL ISSUE!
Keeping members aware of their obligations to follow the rules and regulations is part of most collective social group duties (Clubs, Associations, Fora, et al)

Ash

Top Contributor
This kind of thread has the potential to do more harm than good because now, in the absence of actually naming anyone, the allegations can mar the trading reputation of all members.

I'm sure any new members reading this thread will have a lot of questions.

If it's a personal dispute perhaps it's best handled on a personal blog and referenced here.

findtim

Top Contributor
This kind of thread has the potential to do more harm than good because now, in the absence of actually naming anyone, the allegations can mar the trading reputation of all members.

I'm sure any new members reading this thread will have a lot of questions.

If it's a personal dispute perhaps it's best handled on a personal blog and referenced here.

i disagree, maybe what this thread is trying to do is reinforce the values placed on members to be true to their word. perhaps warn people that they shouldn't come near DNT if they are not going to trade honestly, if you are not going to be honest the P!$$ off as we as a community are not going to stand for it.

you just have to look at all the successful sales threads to see that 99.99% of members hold their word in high regard.

i suggest when deals are done without hassle its posted as a positive, the 2 members can choose to post that it all went smootly and other members know their "cred"

this has now dragged on long enough, we need closure, either the issue is now solved so the member should post "solved" , if its not then the other member should be named as they have had enough time.

tim

Ash

Top Contributor
Understand and agree with you Tim, but it still has the potential to cast a shadow if left to drag on too long (which this has).

Granted this is an isolated case and will probably have little impact, but if we get too many 'someone's dodgy but I won't say who' type posts then that's not a good outcome for anyone.

Your quote below just about sums it up...

this has now dragged on long enough, we need closure, either the issue is now solved so the member should post "solved" , if its not then the other member should be named as they have had enough time.

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
There was a reason behind posting this original thread.

One of the members here has screwed over at least two members (who I consider good guys) for a lot of dough. He's made commitments that he hasn't kept, and then bullshitted everyone.

I thought that by doing a post like this, it may make him so nervous (at the thought of being named) that he would honour the deals. Unfortunately it hasn't worked to date. He obviously has no shame.

Let me tell you that had he screwed me over similarly, I would have named him here. But the two other guys are reticent to do so for their own reasons.

Many members have asked me privately who the person is, as they do not want to get burnt similarly.

The good "trading" forums all around the world have trader ratings on them - members like to know that they're dealing with someone who will honour a deal.

As the former owner of DNT, it was something I was thinking of bringing in. I know the new owner (Chris) is too.

Anyway, that's enough on this. He's not going to be named publicly, so let's close the thread.

chris

Top Contributor
The good "trading" forums all around the world have trader ratings on them - members like to know that they're dealing with someone who will honour a deal.

As the former owner of DNT, it was something I was thinking of bringing in. I know the new owner (Chris) is too.

Anyway, that's enough on this. He's not going to be named publicly, so let's close the thread.

I fully agree with Ned that it's important to know if you can or can't trust another member, especially when it comes to doing business.

I'm looking at implementing a member rating system very soon. I'll post more info in the DNT Updates section.

Cheers,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.