What's new

Name and shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

neddy

Top Contributor
I'd be interested in your opinions on this situation.

What repurcussions should there be for a member of DNT that does not complete a sale with another member? (Be it a sale through here; or off the forum).

This is not a case of a misunderstanding or a disagreement - it is a blatant case of a member ageeing to purchase a domain and then using every excuse under the sun to delay paying. Finally he stops communicating to avoid paying at all. (This has been going on for nearly a few months).

This same person continues to log in to DNT - and apparently still tries to flog domains via PM to other members (so I've been told).

1. Should he be "named and shamed" to protect / warn other members?

2. Should the mods ban him from here (either short-term or permanently)?

3. Any other thoughts?

Disclaimer: I'm not involved in this - it is another member who has had the dirty done on him.

aus11

Top Contributor
I struggle with the whole 'naming and shaming' but I definitely think that the second option should come in to play. Should be banned until the deal is completed - if the deal doesn't get done then I'd be happy to see a permanent ban.

Question: Can you just ban them from 'PMing', meaning all their contact has to be over the forums posts?

Billy01

Top Contributor
Tar and feather

Knee capping should be considered

Get rid of them

Yes they can have their pm turned off

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Tar and feather

Knee capping should be considered

Get rid of them

Yes they can have their pm turned off
I think having their PM privledges turned off is probably the most sensible of the above options and is probably prudent.

You could potentially have an area where you can post warnings about people, though this would probably need to be a private area, but I can also see that section being a moderator's nightmare. Plus without an contracts in place, it's basically just a he said, she said.

At the end of the day I think you just have to let legal teams deal with it.

Billy01

Top Contributor
It was said in Jest Chris

(sort of)

I agree with Chris turn off the PM.

But there should be no excuse on the I said he said.

A deal should be a deal and I want to know the members who can't close on their word or message.

An email is as good as a contract in some cases.

neddy

Top Contributor
I think having their PM privledges turned off is probably the most sensible of the above options and is probably prudent.

You could potentially have an area where you can post warnings about people, though this would probably need to be a private area, but I can also see that section being a moderator's nightmare. Plus without an contracts in place, it's basically just a he said, she said.

At the end of the day I think you just have to let legal teams deal with it.

I agree about PM's (as a minimum).

However I disagree with the rest - a domainers reputation is the most important asset they have. If someone doesn't do the right thing by you after repeated requests (be they buyer or seller),
then I wouldn't want a fellow domainer to be stung as well.

A forum exposure is a weapon of last resort - it tends to focus the mind. Plus the OP has a right of reply.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I don't think DNT should have anything to do with it. It's a discussion forum not something that adjudicates in the event of disputes, especially those arising from activities completely outside DNT.

Naming and shaming is perhaps not a bad idea for the aggreived party. Might get some action happening and, once all resolved, the original post can be deleted maybe so there's no permanent record?

aus11

Top Contributor
\Naming and shaming is perhaps not a bad idea for the aggreived party. Might get some action happening and, once all resolved, the original post can be deleted maybe so there's no permanent record?

+1

neddy

Top Contributor
I don't think DNT should have anything to do with it. It's a discussion forum not something that adjudicates in the event of disputes, especially those arising from activities completely outside DNT.

I wasn't suggesting that DNT (admin) adjudicates. In fact, that is already in the rules that they don't. However, it was more a case of advising / trying to protect other members if someone
gets a track record for doing the wrong thing.

I think curtailing PM privileges until matters are sorted is not a bad idea.

Naming and shaming is perhaps not a bad idea for the aggreived party. Might get some action happening and, once all resolved, the original post can be deleted maybe so there's no permanent record?

Great idea. That would focus the mind on the problem - plus give the OP a chance to reply to and/or resolve the issue.

And if he doesn't, then I believe he doesn't deserve to be a member here.

Imho.

chris

Top Contributor
I think curtailing PM privileges until matters are sorted is not a bad idea.

Great idea. That would focus the mind on the problem - plus give the OP a chance to reply to and/or resolve the issue.

And if he doesn't, then I believe he doesn't deserve to be a member here.

Imho.

I agree, +1 from me.

Cheers,
Chris

goldnugget

Top Contributor
I agree, +1 from me.

Cheers,
Chris

+1....I wasnt me :rolleyes:

Not good form pulling out without coming forward with the circumstances around it.

In my view (and maybe the legal sense), if there is record of conversation to agreed terms from both parties (it is time and date stamped), then that is a binding agreement.

Could this be the birth of a new thread in the newbies section? Maybe sticky a generic agreement to the terms of a domain sale/purchase?

Jay

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
If they're happy to buy and sell in a public forum, but don't honour agreements - I think name and shame is warranted. If nothing else it protects other members from finding themselves in the same situation as neddy.

neddy

Top Contributor
I think name and shame is warranted. If nothing else it protects other members from finding themselves in the same situation as neddy.

It's not me that's affected - it's another member. But your rationale is correct - I'd hate to see the same thing happen to others.

Hopefully this thread may spur some action from the buyer (I'm sure he knows who he is) - and we can all live happily ever after.

Snooks

Top Contributor
I dont think the onus should in any way be focused on DN Forum.....Im all for naming and shaming and the "offender" has the right to reply.

I dont think his pm's should be inhibited and nor should he be banned.

Perhaps just a thread that muct be kept factual, RESPECTFUL and outline the grievance and perhaps ONLY the accused person can post in the thread. We dont want a screaming and verbally abusive thread with people offering opinions....just an avenue to express the grievance and bring the person to the attention of other members. The lack of future business will be the real punishment.

Ashman

Top Contributor
I'd be interested in your opinions on this situation.

What repurcussions should there be for a member of DNT that does not complete a sale with another member? (Be it a sale through here; or off the forum).

This is not a case of a misunderstanding or a disagreement - it is a blatant case of a member ageeing to purchase a domain and then using every excuse under the sun to delay paying. Finally he stops communicating to avoid paying at all. (This has been going on for nearly a few months).

This same person continues to log in to DNT - and apparently still tries to flog domains via PM to other members (so I've been told).

1. Should he be "named and shamed" to protect / warn other members?
  2. Should the mods ban him from here (either short-term or permanently)?
  3. Any other thoughts?

Disclaimer: I'm not involved in this - it is another member who has had the dirty done on him.

Move on and try sell the domain to another buyer. If you want to enforce a contract do it through the legal process not through a forum.

No point in naming and shaming.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
If the person is not doing good business via this forum, the members have a right to be warned and to be wary, yes if he is doing business via pm's and then not completing deals a ban on pm's seems appropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads