What's new

Important Changes to our Auction format

findtim

Top Contributor
That said, I can't complain too much it's one less distraction during the day which allows you to get on with more productive work.

"more productive work" ? that's like locking the doors of woollies at 3.29pm just before the mums pick up their children from school so they can fill the shelves for an hour or so :eek:

if you scroll up to the top of your browser it says DNTrade ( which has a huge amount of variations to it ) as opposed to DNotTrade

Come on Chris C, your NF love is weird especially as they have almost never paid attention to your good suggestions and have dumped AMA and basically messed up your business model.

I am confused by your posts.

Because you are blind to the other "potential bids" how much I FEAR losing the domain to someone else is really driving my bidding.

"blind" , YEP, you got it, totally blind, thus the transparency question is still I feel not answered.

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
Because you are blind to the other "potential bids" how much I FEAR losing the domain to someone else is really driving my bidding.

Really? What domains have you won in the past 12 days - and what have you lost?

You're a stats man - so give us some stats. I'm interested in how you "drive" - and to measure your "fear of loss". ;)

findtim

Top Contributor

You're a stats man - so give us some stats. I'm interested in how you "drive" - and to measure your "fear of loss". ;)

given there isn't much information these days on past results i'd suggest the drive and fear of loss based on recent sales records divided by potential participants competing only on NF divided by the lack of known competition that has left NF combined with the non competitive nature of the current TENDER system, I would guess without proof that the DRIVE & FEAR of loss is @ $15 ?

but I did take into account Halloween which is of course an unknown variable, I think if it had been Easter the calculation would have been $15.15 as long as it was a leap year.

tim :D

Beth

As a domainer on the .com.au I have stopped using NF since this new format came into play. It has lost the excitement of the auction and I have no inclination to bid on a silent auction. Although new to .com.au mainly trading in .com I have spent quite a bit on NF - not as much as Ned though! I will stick to Drop at least they are transparent and there is still the excitement of the auction. Another thing I don't like about the new format is that there is no transparency as far as the days sales only ones that are over $1000. So Drop you have my business exclusive from now on!

plano

Another thing I don't like about the new format is that there is no transparency as far as the days sales only ones that are over $1000.
I think the results of the day's auctions on netfleet including all domain names with a bid, the highest bid, and whether they were caught or lost, are currently available until 3pm each day.

findtim

Top Contributor
I think the results of the day's auctions on netfleet including all domain names with a bid, the highest bid, and whether they were caught or lost, are currently available until 3pm each day.

I got the impression beth was talking about pre bidding not the post bid results.

all results are shown as you stated, it is like that unless a domain goes over $1000 during bidding it won't show.

I haven't been paying to much attention as i'm bored as well of the process but I am curious what happens when a domain goes over $1000, does it go to the top? or does " ZoomDentist.com.au " stay on the last page?

tim

Mark

Top Contributor
Hi Guys

We don't really have enough data at the moment to take a view on whether the new format is more successful or not. We need to crunch the numbers which will we do when we have a large enough sample.

Understand the process may not be as exciting as the old system for spectators, and is a clear downside - for us too!

As mentioned, we have not published sales <$1k on the basis many of our clients wanted that - but these will be included in the daily email soon so people have a record - it just won't be visible on the site.

Cheers
Mark

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Come on Chris C, your NF love is weird especially as they have almost never paid attention to your good suggestions and have dumped AMA and basically messed up your business model. I am confused by your posts.
I owned AU domains before NetFleet played any significantly role in the AU scene. I thought domains were a good investment before they came along and I think they are still a good investment now. NetFleet's presence hasn't hurt my business model at all because my business model never involved NetFleet and flipping domains.

;)

Over the last 3 or 4 years NetFleet have been the ONLY private stakeholder in this industry that has been innovating and attempting to improve the AU domain market.

So firstly, credit where credit is due - that is why I support them.

Yes they might have had a profit motive for pursuing these developments - but nonetheless most of the industry (including myself) has benefited from their progress.

As for the AMA - don't get me wrong - I was not a prolific user of the AMA - but I did like it there for when I did decide I wanted to liquidate a batch and I think it was a great tool from bring better value domains to the market and helping keep up the industry buzz.

That said, I'm not too worried about the AMA - if their trials are successful I trust that once again the "profit motive" will encourage them to reactivate it.

I'm actually SUPER excited about the prospect of them reopening the AMA with the new system because I think for the first time the AMA system offers owners more incentive to get out there and do some basic marketing of their domains which they have on the AMA.

I remember back in the first version of the AMA I threw up a number of domains and contacted a number of potential buyers for each domain but the ultimate result was I typically only convinced 1 buyer to bid on the domain and given there was only 1 buyer bid they got the domain for the minimum bid (which was $100 at the time).

And I think most of you would agree that cost effectively finding 1 buyer who is willing to turn up to an auction isn't an easy task - getting two buyers to compete for a domain at an auction is extremely hard.

Under the new system, which is more of a tender than auction, those efforts to find even 1 buyer won't be rewarded with a minimum bid...

So I'm kind of excited to see the AMA reopen.

:)

And as I have previously pointed out I think the results that the new system has been achieving thus far have been somewhat better than the old Snapper system, which is always a good thing for sellers.

As for them not listening to my suggestions - it's their business - how they want to run it is up to them.

At the end of the day we live in a competitive, capitalistic business environment - but NetFleet has an effective monopoly in the AU market at the moment so I can't blame them for being apathetic at times - and I don't think we will see the next wave of real innovation and drive in the AU domain industry until they have a serious competitor.

So if there are others out there who feel my ideas are good ideas and would produce better results than NetFleet is achieving they are very welcome to use them and take advantage.

Unfortunately my time, energy and resources are tied up elsewhere so I can't be the champion of change in this area.

I've just picked up the one for a client a few days ago.

I haven't lost any in the last 12 days.

I won't say what domain - because that's not for me to go disclose. Suffice to say, it was a domain we couldn't afford to lose, but we were reasonably confident there weren't going to be many other bidders out there.

:rolleyes:

We don't really have enough data at the moment to take a view on whether the new format is more successful or not. We need to crunch the numbers which will we do when we have a large enough sample.
Great to hear.

Do you have any gut feelings about the results at this stage?

Understand the process may not be as exciting as the old system for spectators, and is a clear downside - for us too!
As I've previously mentioned - you could opt to display the number of individual bidders that have bid on the domain - that might create some excitement without revealing the bid prices.

As mentioned, we have not published sales <$1k on the basis many of our clients wanted that - but these will be included in the daily email soon so people have a record - it just won't be visible on the site.
Do you mean the daily email of domains that we bid and won/lost or are you talking about a general daily email summarising the domain sales for that day?

Mick

Top Contributor
I'll admit to being one who hates reading long posts on forums, or anything in general, however I read the entire thing as I've always had a domain fetish (lol). But when you're having a discussion about something such as this I think reading every post if you're that involved/interested in the process shouldn't be too much to ask.

neddy

Top Contributor
No problem. I'll keep this in mind next time you ask a question and I'll be sure to save my time by not offering you a response out of courtesy.

Now that's an early birthday / Christmas present. Thanks Chris. ;)

On a serious note, can't you just write shorter posts? You do make valuable contributions occasionally (even though I disagree with you on the subject matter in this thread).

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member