What's new

GoldBullion.com.au

snoopy

Top Contributor
You know Snoopy, it was your posts in this thread that brought me out of a temporary self-imposed posting retirement. ;)

We all know you hate .au domains and think that they have little value. I'm not going to list the litany of things you have said about them over time, but I think everyone here gets your drift.

But the thing is, some of us do bloody well with .au domains. I'm one of those people (and I know quite a few others). Just as you have had successes with your .com's, we have our successes locally.

And I'm not talking out of my arse - I have the runs on the board.

I truly respect your knowledge of .com and your status and background, but your doom and gloom pronouncements about .au (almost every time someone makes a post) are just becoming so predictable.

Sometimes I shudder to think how many would be posters here shy away from saying anything out of fear of one of your classic posts. That in itself is a shame.

Quit you're whining, the post was perfectly valid. It is a good name but the barriers to entry are high in my view. The post was largely positive on the name,

Here is what was actually said to remind you,

Silverbullion.com.au sounds on the low side but it is a long way of the quality of goldbullion.com, a long long way.

Search for "silver bullion", I couldn't find a single site using the term in their names, lots of the results were for companies using "goldbullion" (keep in mind this is on a search for silver bullion). So who is the enduser for silverbullion.com.au, is there one? I don't think anyone is going to rebrand to that, it would be like a domain registrar only offering .net.au, it is too limited. So it is perhaps just a keyword play but that is probably the domain of small webmasters/domainers, or endusers who are just going to redirect the name.

I think there is pretty big barriers to entry myself for that market. Anyone entering would need to be buying off the perth mint and similar sized companies I suspect but they will also be competing with those companies as well.

With regards silverbullion.com.au, I can tell you that I've received a number of offers for this over the past two years. The last one was $2000 (inclusive of GST) from a very reputable buyer, but I declined.
I believe it is worth more than that to an enduser. By the way, if you want to call me on that, I'm happy to send you a screen shot.

My comment about the name (silverbullion.com) was that is doesn't really have clear enduser market, the fact that offers are coming from other domainers seems to fall into line with that statement.

I also believe it is worth even more to me as a "keeper". Someone expressed an interest in it this morning, and I said exactly that. All I have to do is get off my bum and get it developed!

I call BS on you developing this name, the name is a park page and you've owned it 2 years. When people say they have development plans for something they've owned for years my eyes glaze over, they'd glaze over if you said you'd had it two months and had done nothing with it.

If you think so negatively about silver bullion and silver generally,

I said nothing of the sort, I said the barriers to entry for gold bullion are high.

As far as competing with Perth Mint is concerned, I'm not sure if you are aware that Perth Mint have a generous affiliate program that many people use?

I am about to join - I have extra incentive now. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Ned, that is little different to what I am saying above, the only way to really do anything will be to use the competition as a supplier. Joining an affiliate program is no different to just buying from them, except the margins will likely be even worse and the business model even weaker. Join clixgalore, you'll be selling coins to make 10% whilst you're supplier/competitor is selling for double the actual value of the metal content. For actual gold bullion they'll pay you zero commission.

neddy

Top Contributor
Quit you're whining, the post was perfectly valid.

Not whining Snoopy - just pointing out what is so obvious to many on here.

You're negative on .au - plain and simple. You try and intimidate people - particularly newbies. People don't want to post because they fear ridicule and scorn.

I call BS on you for this.

Someone of your experience should perhaps try and assist people - not bring them down.

As I said before - imho.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Not whining Snoopy - just pointing out what is so obvious to many on here.

You're negative on .au - plain and simple. You try and intimidate people - particularly newbies. People don't want to post because they fear ridicule and scorn.

I call BS on you for this.

Someone of your experience should perhaps try and assist people - not bring them down.

As I said before - imho.

I've said plenty of times I think the potential for making money from .com.au is terms of domaining is limited and genuine development the main opportunity, ie selling an actual product/service, not adsense, affiliate links and other stuff that pays cents on the dollar & relies on getting organic listings.

Funny that all these comments would come about simply because it is you're own name being discussed, and even then the wrap I think is fairly positive, it is sounding like the offended parent who was just told his daughter could improve her singing, so keep ranting & raving, I'm glad you are out of retirement :)

neddy

Top Contributor
My comment about the name (silverbullion.com) was that is doesn't really have clear enduser market, the fact that offers are coming from other domainers seems to fall into line with that statement.

Snoopy, once again this is your assumption. And I'm afraid it's wrong (yet again).

The offer I received on the 30/9/2011 (for $2000 inclusive of GST) was from a prominent enduser. As I said, I declined it.

As I also said, if you want to call BS on this (your favourite term), I can prove it. ;)

The enquiry I received this morning was from a domainer.

Despite what you think and assume, there is an enduser market out there.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoopy, once again this is your assumption. And I'm afraid it's wrong (yet again).

The offer I received on the 30/9/2011 (for $2000 inclusive of GST) was from a prominent enduser. As I said, I declined it.

As I also said, if you want to call BS on this (your favourite term), I can prove it. ;)

The enquiry I received this morning was from a domainer.

Despite what you think and assume, there is an enduser market out there.

That's great that the offer was from an enduser, but I still don't see the usage. An enduser is highly unlikely to call themselves silverbullion.com.au in my view, because nobody even uses "silverbullion" as part of their name from what I can see looking at the first few pages of google. The only thing close is people using SEO types names with gold-silver etc all in the one name. So who is the obvious buyer that would benefit from naming themselves silverbullion.com.au? Very different to goldbullion or just bullion which are the money terms with lots of co's called xxxbullion.com.au etc, silver seems to be more or a sideline.

Again this is what I said about its enduser potential,

Search for "silver bullion", I couldn't find a single site using the term in their names, lots of the results were for companies using "goldbullion" (keep in mind this is on a search for silver bullion). So who is the enduser for silverbullion.com.au, is there one? I don't think anyone is going to rebrand to that, it would be like a domain registrar only offering .net.au, it is too limited. So it is perhaps just a keyword play but that is probably the domain of small webmasters/domainers, or endusers who are just going to redirect the name.

neddy

Top Contributor
That's great that the offer was from an enduser, but I still don't see the usage. An enduser is highly unlikely to call themselves silverbullion.com.au in my view, because nobody even uses "silverbullion" as part of their name from what I can see looking at the first few pages of google.

Silver Bullion is a commodity - therefore it is a keyword phrase. And a pretty good one at that.

Same with Gold Bullion.

There are some fairly obscure brandable names being used out there to sell and discuss product like silver bullion - names like:
  • "bullion mark"

• "abc bullion"

• "bullion deals"

• "bullion bourse"

• "bullion mark"

• "ainslie bullion"

• "silverstackers"

I know what name I'd like to own if I was selling silver bullion.

Wait for it Snoopy .....................

It is:

SilverBullion.com.au

And as they say in the classics, rinse and repeat for "gold bullion".

But there again, what do I know. I defer to your greater knowledge of the .au market potential.

:)

DavidL

Top Contributor
I've said plenty of times I think the potential for making money from .com.au is terms of domaining is limited...

Snoopy, come on, admit it, you're frustrated that you missed the boat over the last few years so are trying to reconcile this fact by wishing terribly that it isn't the case.

Say an Australian owned $2m in .com domains in 2007. If they had sold it all and invested in .au domains (just broad general domains), today that portfolio would be worth what? $6m? Statistics have proven domains have more than doubled in value over the last two years so tripling in value over 5 years is reasonable IMHO.

However if that Australian held onto those .coms today they would be worth 30% less than the peak in end 2007 (according to IDNX.com). So you're down to $1.4m.

But then there's the exchange rate. Over that time the US$ has also lost 30% against the AU$. So you're $1.4m goes down to $1m.

If I let the opportunity of turning $2m into $6m pass by and instead turned it into $1m, I'd be pissed too.

snoopy

Top Contributor
If they had sold it all and invested in .au domains (just broad general domains), today that portfolio would be worth what? $6m? Statistics have proven domains have more than doubled in value over the last two years so tripling in value over 5 years is reasonable IMHO.

I don't think because there isn't any real way of selling those names, I'm not sure there is any way of easily investing a lot of money either. Your statistics are based drop names, people can't sell into that market and is doesn't include the real costs involved of selling a .com.au. If what you were saying was realistic the AUDA meetings would be lined with Lamborghinis.

When I've gone out out looking for a .com.au buyer is has often been at a loss or bare profit after costs, eg 40.com.au (loss), smut.com.au (I think maybe about even). Those names took weeks/months of aggressive marketing to get the pitiful amounts they got. You go to the market and there isn't anyone there. The times I've made a profit is just from registering names that had traffic and getting lucky with someone approaching on it, but those names were few and few between and it still wasn't a good use of time compare to what could have been bought elsewhere.

In my view most people would be better off trying to build out some kind of business on a .com.au, rather than trying to make money buying/selling domains.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I know what name I'd like to own if I was selling silver bullion.

Wait for it Snoopy .....................

It is:

SilverBullion.com.au

Ned, how many companies have you found that just sell silver bullion in Australia? They all sell gold bullion and they sometimes use names with "bullion" or "gold bullion" as the end term, not "silver bullion". Silver bullion appears to be a sideline business for these companies, not the main game.

neddy

Top Contributor
Ned, how many companies have you found that just sell silver bullion in Australia? They all sell gold bullion and they sometimes use names with "bullion" or "gold bullion" as the end term, not "silver bullion". Silver bullion appears to be a sideline business for these companies, not the main game.

Paul, perhaps we are at cross purposes.

I've never said that there are companies that only sell "silver bullion". Of course all those companies I mentioned above sell many precious metals and coins.

So silverbullion.com.au is a great keyword domain that companies that sell silver bullion (and other stuff) should own - even if they redirect it to their other site/s.

That to me is domain sales 101.

As an example of my point, have a look at silverbullion.com. It is re-directed to a not very attractive site, but apparently these guys sell an awful lot of bullion and coins.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I guess what you're saying is 'That's all very well but it's a paper loss/gain' and I largely agree with you.

The problem with quickly liquidating com.au domains is not unusual though. All markets including .coms, houses, cars etc are not easy to just flip if you want to get a decent price. It's not like the stock market.

However, that doesn't mean there's no money to be made in passively growing your asset base (on paper) and flogging the odd domain off here and there while you do. The return from sales goes up in line with the appreciation on paper of the portfolio, as does any parking/Adsense income.

Those names took weeks/months of aggressive marketing to get the pitiful amounts they got.

Sorry mate have to take issue with you here. The 'months of aggressive marketing' was a single thread on DNTrade where you continuously said how crap the domain was? http://www.dntrade.com.au/40-com-au-price-heavily-t4644.html

It was almost as if you were trying to get as little as possible for the domain to prove a point...

snoopy

Top Contributor
Sorry mate have to take issue with you here. The 'months of aggressive marketing' was a single thread on DNTrade where you continuously said how crap the domain was? http://www.dntrade.com.au/40-com-au-price-heavily-t4644.html

I never said the name was crap, I told people I was desperate to sell. That resulted in two interested parties over a period of 6 months of trying to sell it. The sale price was the highest I'd ever been offered for it (in 10 years), and it didn't even cover holding costs. I would have been better off letting the name drop years ago.

snoopy

Top Contributor
So silverbullion.com.au is a great keyword domain that companies that sell silver bullion (and other stuff) should own - even if they redirect it to their other site/s.

Ned,

I said from the outset the likely buyers are domainers/small webmasters and and endusers who would just redirect it. That doesn't make for a strong aftermarket, and I think that was reflected in the very big difference in price domainers would pay for the two names. The difference in the two names goes beyond google stats because companies do name themselves xyzgoldbullion.com.au, they do not name themselves xyzsilverbullion.com.au so there is never going to be a strong motivation to own silverbullion.com.au in my view.

neddy

Top Contributor
......... there is never going to be a strong motivation to own silverbullion.com.au in my view.

This last answer of yours sums up to me why you moan and groan about the .au market - you just have a different mindset from those of us that sell successfully here.

But hey, don't let me try and change you Paul. You stick with what you're good at; and we'll stick with what we're good at. ;)

That's the end of the story for me - but of course you'll probably want the last word as you normally do. So I'll be magnanimous - feel free.

mickjohn

I am new to this site and have read this thread.

My knowledge of monetization from websites is tiny. I can confirm however that a domain name like silverbullion.com.au would be fantastic.

I have been involved in precious metals for some years now and have membership with a number of dealers. Whilst Silver is the cheaper of the two (Gold and Silver) it is bought in much higher volumes in comparison. It is often referred to as 'poor mans gold'.
Popularity in the precious metals sector is building, these are not just my words but take a look at bullion exports, sales figures (perth mint) and ASEs etc.

There has been a reasonable move of funds from stock markets/realestate into the precious metals sector as destabilisation of national monetary policy occurs from more than 1 or 2 governments. There are a lot of resources online that support this and can verify with references.

The only problem that I can see with this domain is the margins that bullion dealers work from, they are tiny and getting smaller due to the growing number of players in the industry. This may limit their desired outlay on a domain name? However as they are dealing with large sums it may be ok.

I wouldnt have a clue on a monetary value, however I am confident that this industry is growing and the domain would likely be used for an enduser being a retailer of bullion products. I am new here and this is just imo but I am currently within the industry with good exposure to a few of the players.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member