What's new

Generic appraisal - Waddaya think?

findtim

Top Contributor
well, he's making money elsewhere, i'm in the same boat
it doesn't devalue the domain or the purchase.
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
well, he's making money elsewhere, i'm in the same boat
it doesn't devalue the domain or the purchase.
tim

If you buy something to develop and nothing happens or it doesn't work out then of course that "devalues" the purchase decision, let's be realistic. I've got one or two names in that category that I'd love to hand back for a refund.

findtim

Top Contributor
it doesn't devalue, when its up and running nobody knows it been sitting @ for years, its the implementation of the plan at the end of the day that determines failure or not.
you can't say a vacant block of land in an estate devalues, build a house and there's your value.
new estates have little trees and then they grow and make the estate pretty.
i do however agree, there is money being left on the table whilst it could be working for you.
the danger is that a competitor with a similar term gets " first to market leverage" before you even start.
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
it doesn't devalue, when its up and running nobody knows it been sitting @ for years, its the implementation of the plan at the end of the day that determines failure or not.
you can't say a vacant block of land in an estate devalues, build a house and there's your value.
new estates have little trees and then they grow and make the estate pretty.
i do however agree, there is money being left on the table whilst it could be working for you.
the danger is that a competitor with a similar term gets " first to market leverage" before you even start.
tim

Tim, I'm not saying the domain is worth less, I'm talking about the decision to purchase because you said "it doesn't devalue the domain or the purchase". I'm saying it does devalue that decision to purchase, it seems to have not worked out.

My own opinion is this name is probably very difficult to get going for an individual or small company because of the broadness of the term.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I can vouch for this, as I have consulted to this project for sometime.

Anyone with one iota of web development experience know projects have a tendency to go over time and budget. Especially so if you're doing it on a budget, and using freelancers.

One of these domains was sold privately. The other is in final stages of development and looking great.

findtim

Top Contributor
freelancers are not normally the problem i have found as they are always wanting to complete, especially if the payment structure is " on competition"
99% of the time IMO its client/owner that holds up a project, i'm finishing a website this week which was started in november 2014 !
all because of the clients lack of effort.
but the case in hand i can see is a large job to get it right so i can see why its taken a while, i also have given advice on this project via PM from my experience as a professional backpacker LOL, no seriously , i know the business vertical well, living in byron bay gives it to you.
YES, it is very difficult to get going, premium domains are, but then they stay for a VERY LONG time and the ROI is very quick.
i read once, " dig deep foundations to build tall buildings "
tim

Horshack

Top Contributor
The fact that the .com/net versions of backpackers haven't been developed always makes me wonder with regards to value.

findtim

Top Contributor
the accom market is crowded but so also is the camper van rental market but these guys have done very well, http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/
they started out with cheap refitted EX telstra taragos and now they are almost a cult, buying vans at auctions for $1000 refit and hiring for $34 a day, pretty good idea.
the word backpacker is VERY strong in australia, i'm sure this website will happen.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
its an analogy, if you build and provide the right content and offers to this vertical they are very loyal i have found and also VERY social media and also THEY TALK so word spreads FAST, every backpacker sitting in a pub in noosa heading north WANTS to know where to stop, what to do, how much $$$, and if you can get them to say " just go onto backpackers.com.au then they get back to their drinking games and trying to pick up the swedish girl in the corner and you will have them for their WHOLE trip @ australia.
you will become the HUB, wicked campers are the HUB of rental, backpackers fly into aus and think of catching buses, met a few people and then share the cost of a camper.

How does this help backpackers.com.au?
by showing how to build a community, campers is just rental, backpackers is all the rest of the money they spend, beer, food, tours etc

tim

enjoi

Top Contributor
Hi fellas, its nice to know that's there's interest in the development of backpackers.com.au. Yes, the development has taken longer than I planned but hey Snoopy, its a little difficult to build a business while living abroad in both Germany and Banff for the past two years. I guess you could say I'm enjoying my 20s ... anyway

Development started three weeks and phase one is basically finished. Will be launching phase one shortly with a smallish site with planned updates of new features etc.

Thanks Richard and Tim you'll be seeing it soon!

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Yep, enjoying the season abroad snowboarding takes priority over development any day haha. You say to yourself "i'll have plenty of time to do development after hours" but it just doesn't happen haha. Been there, done that :)

Scott.L

Top Contributor
A good domain for a forum or backpacker gear. Camping equipment. Car hire and insurance. Yeah value is always indicative and future performance is never guarenteed. Presently $10 - $15k yet, realistically only a buyer can value it.

findtim

Top Contributor
the value is in the revenue: yes snoopy....... it needs $$$ and time to develop and promote but this one is well worth it IMO
if i had it i wouldn't sell it as its $15K p/a, so why would u sell?
break it down, and i have already told enjoi this.

$15k divided by $300 p/a listing= just 50 clients, over 10 years thats $150K domain with a strong push at the start then minimal effort after that ( i know )

VERY conservatively here's how the numbers add up, and i know everyone of these businesses i'd approach

cairns: 4 backpacker hostels and 4 tour operators
townsville: 2 backpacker hostels and 2 tour operators
ingham: YEP, ingham, banana picking $$$ 4 backpacker hostels
airlie beach: 4 backpacker hostels and 4 tour operators
noosa: 2 backpacker hostels and 4 tour operators
brissie:4 backpacker hostels
goldcoast: 4 backpacker hostels and 4 tour operators
byron bay: 4 backpacker hostels and 2 tour operators
various towns down to sydney: 4 backpacker hostels and 2 tour operators
sydney: 4 backpacker hostels and 4 tour operators
canberra: 2 backpacker hostels and 2 tour operators
melbourne: 4 backpacker hostels and 4 tour operators

thats 74 so far and i haven't left the east coast and didn't include off shots like car hire, airling, bus, FOOD, BEER ! NIGHT CLUBS !!!!!!!!!!

so i haven't even got to the fruit district, adelaide, perth, broome and darwin.

its a no brainer in my view.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members