What's new

Generic appraisal - Waddaya think?

enjoi

Top Contributor
Hey guys, both names are generic and ive never had them appraised.

Local stats:

Backpackers.com.au
exact: 3600
phrase: 165,000
broad: 201,00

WebDesigners.com.au
exact: 1300
phrase: 12,100
broad: 90,500

Backpackers.com.au is being developed (pretty excited for it). WebDesigners.com.au I still dont know how to develop it into a money maker!

Cheers!

Ashman

Top Contributor

Local stats:

Backpackers.com.au

WebDesigners.com.au
exact: 1300
phrase: 12,100
broad: 90,500

Backpackers.com.au is being developed (pretty excited for it). WebDesigners.com.au I still dont know how to develop it into a money maker!

Cheers!

I think once you decide to develop a domain name into a income generating business model the value is derived from the revenue the business generates and not so much the domain name itself, unless the business is stripped down and the assets sold.

So given that you are developing the domains and are excited enough about the project to not sell I would value your business as the enjoyment you are getting from working in interesting niche markets until you start making some revenue from it.

BenWalker

Top Contributor

Local stats:

Backpackers.com.au

Cheers!

I think some where around $20-$25k range for the domain undeveloped. It has great potential. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

When are you expecting to launch?

enjoi

Top Contributor
I think some where around $20-$25k range for the domain undeveloped. It has great potential. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

When are you expecting to launch?

Thanks for your appraisal!

The design and business model has been changed a fair bit in the past 3 months but im finally on track so my developer is estimating 4 - 5 weeks !

Fingers crossed

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Both domains by themselves would be high four figures in my opinion, with some marketing perhaps five figures. But yeah, great domains in terms of metrics, brand-ability and niches. Value is in it being developed

neddy

Top Contributor
Both domains by themselves would be high four figures in my opinion, with some marketing perhaps five figures. But yeah, great domains in terms of metrics, brand-ability and niches. Value is in it being developed

Totally agree with Zhen regarding value. They are great domains Jono, and I wish I owned them!

By the way, can you please PM me your PayPal email so that I can pay you for winning that appraisal contest. :)

findtim

Top Contributor
i think forget webdesigners and put all your effort into backpackers ( BP).

as a "block of land" backpackers is $50K , as a "skyscraper" its yearsssssssss of revenue.

there really is no possible valuation, its what you make of it

ashman is correct

I think once you decide to develop a domain name into a income generating business model the value is derived from the revenue the business generates and not so much the domain name itself, unless the business is stripped down and the assets sold.

stop buying domains, start selling everything else to build your war chest to promote BP, concerntrate on BP and you will have a very happy life.

you're on a winner, i can't wait to see it :)

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
Both strong names. Would say around 10k for backpackers.com.au, 8k for webdesigners.com.au. I'd say webdesigners has a much clearer development path. Would be starting a very lean budget with backpackers as whatever is spent may well need a complete rethink not long after. Main concerns are low number of advertisers and local listings, seems it may either be no.1 position or nothing organically. It probably needs a sound adwords basis. Other concern is you've had it a while and nothing much has happened on the site, makes me think it is a tough name to get started due to the broadness of it.

findtim

Top Contributor
Both strong names. Would say around 10k for backpackers.com.au, 8k for webdesigners.com.au. I'd say webdesigners has a much clearer development path. Would be starting a very lean budget with backpackers as whatever is spent may well need a complete rethink not long after. Main concerns are low number of advertisers and local listings, seems it may either be no.1 position or nothing organically. It probably needs a sound adwords basis. Other concern is you've had it a while and nothing much has happened on the site, makes me think it is a tough name to get started due to the broadness of it.

finally you are going to be proven sooooooo wrong in the au market by this one i predict.

"broadness" is its strenght not its weakness. he's building STRONG DEEP foundations.

tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Great domains. I would also say high 4 figures to low 5 figures, seems most comments are in that ballpark. 'backpackers' is the best of the two in my opinion.

Good to hear that you're developing these, backpackers.com.au is an awesome name and travel is a lucrative area.

All the best with the projects!

snoopy

Top Contributor
finally you are going to be proven sooooooo wrong in the au market by this one i predict.

"broadness" is its strenght not its weakness. he's building STRONG DEEP foundations.

tim

If broadness was a strength there would be lots of advertisers advertising on these broad terms. In terms of the keyword "broad" means a very hard slog.

Most (all?) of the domainer sites that I have heard of that have really been successful are very specific terms.

findtim

Top Contributor
If broadness was a strength there would be lots of advertisers advertising on these broad terms. In terms of the keyword "broad" means a very hard slog.

Most (all?) of the domainer sites that I have heard of that have really been successful are very specific terms.

OK, all i can say is i have been in this market a long timeeeeeeeeee , i know the industry, the domain is an "umbrella" , its a killer domain.

how can you get more specific then " backpackers " ?????? thats what the target market IS ........... backpackers !!!

i just wish that you owned it and thought this way so i could buy it off you for $100, if you owned it would you sell it to me for $100 ???

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
snoopy: reread your posts so to clarify i would give you $11K would you then sell it to me?

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
snoopy: reread your posts so to clarify i would give you $11K would you then sell it to me?

tim

No. But unfortunately what level I would sell a name at does not determine market value, because mostly I'm trying to get more than names are worth, that is why I sell a tiny % of names each year. You might say it is worth 50k, and you might ask it if you owned it, but you won't pay it.

What would it get if it were put up for sale, that is the question, not what someone would ask or take. Buyers determine market values, not sellers.

snoopy

Top Contributor
how can you get more specific then " backpackers " ?????? thats what the target market IS ........... backpackers !!!

You can get more specific by clearly describing what they are looking for. Backpackers might by the target market but it is not the product or service.

I don't say "Hey I'm going to travel, I'm looking for a backpackers". Nobody can give me an answer to that question. All I'll get is another question. If I said "Hey I'm going to travel, I'm looking for a backers in Sydney" that would make more sense. I can actually answer that question with a suggestion.

So someone searching for "backpackers" cannot be easily monetized because you've got a combination of people with limited budget and an unspecific search term. If it were easily monetizable there would be a lot of advertisers on the term. Something like "web designers" by contrast is very clear.

Now I'm not say the site won't be successful but it is going to extremely hard to make work & high risk,

Here is what google suggests for backpackers,

Searches related to backpackers

backpackers jobs
backpackers meaning
backpackers europe
backpackers forum
backpackers campervans
backpackers wiki
backpackers hamilton
backpackers car rental

Adwords suggestions

Keyword Competition Local Monthly Searches (Australia)
[backpackers] 0.28 3600
[backpacker] 0.06 1300
[backpackers melbourne] 0.91 1900
[backpackers sydney] 0.94 1900
[sydney backpackers] 0.92 1600
[byron bay backpackers] 0.85 1000
[backpackers perth] 0.88 1000
[melbourne backpackers] 0.78 1000
[brisbane backpackers] 0.82 1000
[backpackers brisbane] 0.89 880
[maze backpackers] 0.56 720
[backpacker jobs] 0.43 720
[base backpackers] 0.17 720
[perth backpackers] 0.77 720
[cairns backpackers] 0.7 720
[backpackers gold coast] 0.93 590
[gold coast backpackers] 0.84 590
[backpackers byron bay] 0.86 590
[backpacker campervans] 0.96 480

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Snoopy you're getting too caught up on the exact match again. This domain is clearly a category killer.

Good luck with the development Jono.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoopy you're getting too caught up on the exact match again. This domain is clearly a category killer.

Good luck with the development Jono.

"Category killer" doesn't mean it can be easily developed by a domainer. Hardware.com.au, caravanparks.com.au, hobart.com.au, these are also category killer names but a domainer has a very low chance of building a successful business on those names.

snoopy

Top Contributor
If they are using a 1 click install wordpress site and no marketing, then yes I would agree

These are names that would need a lot of resources behind them in my view and still have a high chance of not working out. There is no straight forward way to compete with bunnings or to formulate a business model that would cover thousands of caravan parks.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member