What's new

Domain Sales List 2013

James

Top Contributor
It's very interesting how those two, from Victoria's Mornington Peninsula, are the highest selling geo domains this year, excluding the Australian capital city names.

Many geo domains that were released in 2005 through the $825 ballot have been sold for less than their purchase price, and some have simply been dropped and never re-registered.

I was curious to why these domains were expensive as well, but after doing some research it seems those two areas are pretty nice locations with many micro sites around. So I can see the value in them.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I was curious to why these domains were expensive as well, but after doing some research it seems those two areas are pretty nice locations with many micro sites around. So I can see the value in them.

Portsea is one the wealthiest places in the country, Sorrento is just down the road. Sorrento is very touristy which is the difference between a good geo name and a bad one in my view.

Still it is a lot of money for small seasonal towns, I think they have overpaid, especially portsea.com.au, I really doubt an enduser is ever going to come knocking given portsea's size and lack of facilities.

Portsea has a population around 500 and a small group of shops, would be a lot more holiday home owners who aren't there permanently. Sorrento is a fair bit bigger though a rung down in terms of wealth. So for portsea the enduser pool at the moment would consist of a few real estate agents who would want to brand with their own name, a large pub and a group of dozen of so small shops, probably some holiday rental companies also but they would be focusing on the entire area of about 7-8 towns, focusing on portsea would be too small. Not great resale potential in my view at the price paid.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...-highest-earners/story-fn7x8me2-1226034932895

James

Top Contributor
Portsea is one the wealthiest places in the country, Sorrento is just down the road. Sorrento is very touristy which is the difference between a good geo name and a bad one in my view.

Still it is a lot of money for small seasonal towns, I think they have overpaid, especially portsea.com.au, I really doubt an enduser is ever going to come knocking given portsea's size and lack of facilities.

Portsea has a population around 500 and a small group of shops, would be a lot more holiday home owners who aren't there permanently. Sorrento is a fair bit bigger though a rung down in terms of wealth. So for portsea the enduser pool at the moment would consist of a few real estate agents who would want to brand with their own name, a large pub and a group of dozen of so small shops. Not a great market.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...-highest-earners/story-fn7x8me2-1226034932895

Yeah could just be a case of making a property site for any property in the area, one sale from comms and you make the money back? Easier said then done but.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Yeah could just be a case of making a property site for any property in the area, one sale from comms and you make the money back? Easier said then done but.

How would this work exactly? Commission from who?

Are millionaires silly enough to buy a holiday house by searching for "portsea" on Google as opposed to going to realestate.com.au or ringing up the agents they likely already have connections with?

James

Top Contributor
How would this work exactly? Commission from who?

Are millionaires silly enough to buy a holiday house by searching for "portsea" on Google as opposed to going to realestate.com.au or ringing up the agents they likely already have connections with?

It was just an idea, pick up the phone and work out a referral deal with local businesses.

When you search for this term you are presented with two options: 1. Holiday information/ Tourism information 2. Real Estate information.

What is holding back a real estate agent using a geo domain for sales?

As I said in my prior post, Easier said then done.

How would you plan to use this domain Snoopy?

Cal

Top Contributor
Domain catalogue sale at Netfleet added to list:

CarInsuranceCompare.com.au $2,500 - Netfleet

snoopy

Top Contributor
What is holding back a real estate agent using a geo domain for sales?

The fact that they all want to build a strong brand rather than just calling themselves a place name.

Secondly I think very few of the searches for "Portsea" will be people wanting to buy real estate. If it were good quality traffic real estate agents would be bidding on the term, instead nobody is. I don't think this term would be on there radar at all.

How would you plan to use this domain Snoopy?

I would put up a for sale page.

Though like I said in particular with portsea.com.au I think the chance of an enduser paying more than the $2400 is low so I wouldn't like their chance of making an ROI, they've paid too much.

James

Top Contributor
The fact that they all want to build a strong brand rather than just calling themselves a place name.

Secondly I think very few of the searches for "Portsea" will be people wanting to buy real estate. If it were good quality traffic real estate agents would be bidding on the term, instead nobody is. I don't think this term would be on there radar at all.

If you test geo based bidding on various markets in Australia using Ad Preview you tool you will note their is some bidders on these terms yet activity is limited

100% not (no one)

sure sales page might be a good idea for you but I am talking from an end user point of view.

snoopy

Top Contributor
James said:
If you test geo based bidding on various markets in Australia using Ad Preview you tool you will note their is some bidders on these terms yet activity is limited

I get "low" for competition with a score of 0.08 out of 1. I would say advertisers regard this as near junk traffic.

I'm in Melbourne which is the prime market for portsea realestate buyers, there is no agents advertising (or anybody else). Secondly your screenshot shows sorrento whereas I'm talking about portsea, sorrento is a better name in my view. It is a large strip of shops and a lot more accommodation. I still think they have overpaid though on that name aswell.

sure sales page might be a good idea for you but I am talking from an end user point of view.

You asked me how *I* would use it, then your response to that is that you are talking about endusers?

I didn't say putting up a sale page was a good idea, I'm saying it is about the best thing that can be done with it. I think they'll likely lose money on it no matter what is done.

Once again though who is the clear enduser? There is a small strip of shops and a pub. There is virtually no advertisers. Who apart from a domainer is going to buy it and why?

pacifier

James, the reason I've overpaid for Sorrento is that it makes nice pair with Queenscliff (another popular touristy place) on the popular Queenscliff-Sorrento ferry route. You can say that in this case I was the enduser. I would have loved to get it cheaper but there was strong competition.

It's very interesting how those two, from Victoria's Mornington Peninsula, are the highest selling geo domains this year, excluding the Australian capital city names.

Many geo domains that were released in 2005 through the $825 ballot have been sold for less than their purchase price, and some have simply been dropped and never re-registered.

plano

sorrento.com.au is not just a 'geo domain' like other 'geo domains'. Sorrento is the number one big money summer holiday destination in Victoria. Now even more accessible with the opening of Peninsula Link freeway connection. Sorrento is huge business dealing with people with money to spare, there is none bigger in the holiday market. Everything booked out over summer, holiday houses from $2,000 to $10,000 per week. Sorrento.com.au could also leverage the much smaller business potential of Portsea to the south and Blairgowrie to the north. Might be hard to see this if you don't know the area in particular and Melbourne and its environs in general.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Sorrento is the number one big money summer holiday destination in Victoria. Now even more accessible with the opening of Peninsula Link freeway connection. Sorrento is huge business dealing with people with money to spare, there is none bigger in the holiday market.

Would regard Phillip Island as far bigger as well as Torquay, and probably Lorne & Lakes Entrance as well, there would be others also. Sorrento would be in the top 10 but to say it is is number 1 is a bit of a stretch.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I would put up a for sale page.

Though like I said in particular with portsea.com.au I think the chance of an enduser paying more than the $2400 is low so I wouldn't like their chance of making an ROI, they've paid too much.

A bit off-topic, however I've stopped pointing my unused .com.au domains to a 'for sale' page. Recently a potential buyer (no I won't be naming them) didn't like the price on one of my .com.au domains (I responded to an enquiry from them) - and they not so subtly threatened filing a dispute, he noted the 'for sale' page as being 'proof' and mentioned cyber-squatting etc.

Now he would have had no chance on this, but it was still enough to get me thinking and ultimately I decided to change my approach and not mark .com.au domains as 'for sale'.

I politely told him to get stuffed and that I would never enter into a business transaction with him given his tactics. It turns out he was acting outside of his clients directions - they had cleared the purchase at the original price, he basically wrecked the deal for them.

The domain I'm referring to above is also a geo domain (a place).

So my approach is a more cautious one now, people can still contact me about domains, but they are not marked as 'for sale'.

Just some food for thought, not saying it's the best way to go for everyone.

snoopy

Top Contributor
A bit off-topic, however I've stopped pointing my unused .com.au domains to a 'for sale' page. Recently a potential buyer (no I won't be naming them) didn't like the price on one of my .com.au domains (I responded to an enquiry from them) - and they not so subtly threatened filing a dispute, he noted the 'for sale' page as being 'proof' and mentioned cyber-squatting etc.

Now he would have had no chance on this, but it was still enough to get me thinking and ultimately I decided to change my approach and not mark .com.au domains as 'for sale'.

I politely told him to get stuffed and that I would never enter into a business transaction with him given his tactics. It turns out he was acting outside of his clients directions - they had cleared the purchase at the original price, he basically wrecked the deal for them.

The domain I'm referring to above is also a geo domain (a place).

So my approach is a more cautious one now, people can still contact me about domains, but they are not marked as 'for sale'.

Just some food for thought, not saying it's the best way to go for everyone.

If it is not listed for sale you'll get a lot less sales. The next step is to not even own a domain, I can assure you that is the 100% effective way of getting no domain disputes.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Some exciting news to share with you - dtrade have just reported that they have sold Cruises.com.au for $110,000 making it the top reported .au sale for 2013. Congratulations dtrade :)

List has been updated.

See thread and press release here: https://www.dntrade.com.au/domain-news/8356-top-reported-au-sale-2013-cruises-com-au.html#post60033

Interesting one, seem to be the hot area of tourism right now. I was surprised to see a "cruise only" travel agent open up at my local shops recently.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
If it is not listed for sale you'll get a lot less sales. The next step is to not even own a domain, I can assure you that is the 100% effective way of getting no domain disputes.

Actually, it doesn't seem to have impacted on the number of enquiries. There's still a contact form, there's just no 'for sale sign' hanging on the door.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member