1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on auDA .au Registry Migration

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by DomainNames, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Scott.L

Scott.L Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Thanks Anthony, I wonder when that Port 43 becomes available (RFC 3912) because as it stands, I'm convinced the current whois service is in breach of the ICANN sponsorship agreement - section 4.3 ccTLD Registry Data Escrow. found here ...namely, The escrow agent or mirror-site operator shall be mutually approved by the Governmental Authority and the Sponsoring Organization, and shall not be under the Sponsoring Organization's control. [it is obvious, auDA registered a gTLD at GoDaddy for the nations whois service, now they control it.]

2. Scott.L

auDA Member:
    Yes
    yeah i see...Registry Technical Specification
    • As well as the port 43 WHOIS service, the registry operator will need to provide a web-based WHOIS page for public use in which branding and/or advertising is kept to a minimum
    Why hasn't Afilias provided their own web-based WHOIS page for the public as per the Tech Spec's? Its part of the tender requirement.

3. Drop.com.au

Drop.com.au Membership: VIP

Section 4.3 refers to their escrow responsibilities, this is their primary whois URL we are talking about here. I don't have any visibility of their escrow setup.

4. Drop.com.au

Good point, I assume it was simply overlooked. They will probably release one shortly. If they ask me for further feedback I will mention it to them.
    - Anthony

5. Scott.L

auDA Member:
    Yes
    escrow - was Iron Mountain;
    mirror site - whois.auda.ltd [GoDaddy the registry] and should be the mirror site of Afilias, but its not active using whois.org.au [hmmmmm...]

6. Drop.com.au

Mmmm okay, maybe I am confused perhaps whois.audns.net.au is the primary one and whois.auda.ltd is the escrow/mirror version.
    I am going to call the registry operator as it would be way better if we could send people to whois.audns.net.au
    - Anthony

Scott.L likes this.
  7. Andrew Wright

Andrew Wright Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    You think?

8. Drop.com.au

The Registry Operator support staff have escalated it so I think at this point it is not locked in stone.
    I got SMSed by a more authoritative source who says the .ltd was a temporary one and was to ensure there was a backup plan if things went pear shaped during the migration and there was always a plan to switch it permanently to whois.auda.org.au as per the tech spec.
    So once things calm down a little we will <fingers crossed> be using whois.auda.org.au in the not to distant future (Maybe 24 hours).
    - Anthony

9. Jimboot

Jimboot Membership: Community

Anyone know why Godaddy registrants of au all got their Auth code sent to them today unsolicited? A lot of people are freaking out. Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 12.00.50 PM.png

10. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Authorisation codes were reset due to registry change over. I guess that triggered (or GoDaddy decided to send) the authorisation code emails.

11. Jimboot

Way to prep the public auda

Vicstar likes this.
  12. Scott.L

auDA Member:
    Yes
    ...are you sure its whois.auda.org.au ?

upload_2018-7-2_20-20-16.png

13. Jimboot

[​IMG]

Vicstar, ttfan and Scott.L like this.
  14. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

So no auctions atm ? Where are the drops going

15. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

NO drop auctions until 15th July 2018 I've been told.

Afilias not ready!

Vicstar and helloworld like this.
  16. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

Where is the drop list?

17. Scott.L

auDA Member:
    Yes
    upload_2018-7-5_1-6-30.png

Drop List

18. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

19. Drop.com.au

That is what I was told but you are right it does not match the Tech Spec which should be whois.org.au.
    UPDATE: http://whois.auda.org.au was redirecting most of the week to whois.auda.ltd but it is now resolving as the primary provider (their words not mine) except it redirects to https://whois.auda.org.au which unfortunately gives a security error as the certificates are only for epp.auda.ltd, whois.auda.ltd reports.auda.ltd etc... so it is getting closer to being a thing but is not quite there yet.

whois.org.au goes to a 404 page at https://admin.auda.org.au/password_recovery/blank_recover_password.faces which from memory was the old domain password recovery page which is now here https://afilias.com.au/about-au/domain-pw-recovery in case anyone gets lost during the transition.

20. Drop.com.au

The domains are being held in what is fast becoming a mega purge event.
    At transition there where already 3,000 domains to be purged, in theory you should add 1,500 new domains per day so it should get up to 20 - 25,000 domains to be purged when they turn it on. No one tests for that kind of event so it should be interesting.
    - Anthony

helloworld likes this.