What's new

Direct registrations are happening

Erwin

Top Contributor
Can I ask peoples' opinion on where they stand in regards to .net.au direct .au registrations in respect to having rights.
I guess what I'd like to know if the .com.au decides to not purchase their matching .au should .net.au have second dibs at the registration process? Or none at all?

neddy

Top Contributor
Wrote another piece on Domainer today about the AGM. auDA have now published their minutes, but as you would expect, they are somewhat paraphrased.

I recorded everything (so I could remember things and not misquote anyone). Will be publishing short audio clips over the next week.

Today's post contains two short segments that DNT members might find interesting - particularly the one on direct registrations.

Tomorrow, I hope to have the questions posed by two DNT members that were there in person - @eBranding.com.au and @DomainNames

Ned

DomainNames

Top Contributor
https://www.dntrade.com.au/threads/auda-news.11137/#post-83274

auDA appears to have been caught out with the "consultation scam"

"Direct registration; stakeholder qualitative interviews

In the coming weeks, we will be announcing other ways members and all stakeholders can contribute to the policy development.

There will be opportunities to participate in direct registration research that will feed into policy development. If you’d like to take part, please email helen.hollins@auda.org.au to register. Interviews will take place in March and April this year either face to face or over the phone.

Once this research is complete, the report will be made available to the public.

We aim to have policy for direct registration agreed and ready for implementation planning by the beginning of the new financial year.
??????? what... hang on what about the feedback if it is not actually needed and wanted in light of the yes vote rigged survey scandal and the actual NZ and UK results theirs have failed ????????

Registry contract

Considerable work and review continues with regard to the unsolicited bid auDA received from AusRegistry on the 14th November last year, however we are bound by an NDA regarding that bid. We are also aware of the proposed acquisition by the private investment group led by Golden Gate Capital, announced on 14 December 2016.
Be assured, the interests of the Australian digital community are central to our deliberations. We will not be proceeding with any agreement without communicating them in full to all stakeholders. We hope to have more to say in the coming weeks."

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Strange how Deloitte have already told people including the CEO there is nothing to justify another competing extension being needed yet auDA is progressing full steam ahead?

And the consultation with people is for what reason exactly? To appear to be doing things properly? Why waste your time if they will not listen anyway it seems?

auDA just made a big mistake with this statement today "We aim to have policy for direct registration agreed and ready for implementation planning by the beginning of the new financial year."

Let the public see the auDA full board minutes, committee and suppliers full disclosure!.. It seems since 2016 all we get is headings, no content no full disclosure at all or any register of interests.

Compare the public notes and "disclosure". Who will benefit from another competing additional .au extension? Anyone on the auDA Board or Committee.. Where are the actual full disclosures about money, bonuses etc?
https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/board-meetings/2015/
https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/board-meetings/2016/

DomainNames

Top Contributor
When it comes Deloittes role it seems many of us where told something different by the new auDA CEO Cameron Boardman.
I do hope Ned posts what Deloitte told him their only job is...

Deloitte told me they think there seems to be "conflicts of interest". Let's see if that makes it into the report.

https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/accountability-and-transparency-framework/
Accountability and Transparency Framework
In April 2011 the auDA Board commissioned Westlake Consulting Ltd (WCL) to conduct an independent review into the governance of .au. WCL provided its final report to the Board in December 2011, and the Board published its response in February 2012.

One of WCL’s recommendations was for auDA to “develop and publish an Accountability and Transparency Framework, broadly similar to that developed by ICANN.” The Board accepted the recommendation and charged its Governance, Board Succession and Remuneration Committee to oversee the implementation. Following public consultation, the Board approved the Accountability and Transparency Framework in December 2012.

Documents
Public Submissions
The submissions listed below in alphabetical order have been published without modification, except to remove personal contact details. The views expressed in the submissions are not necessarily the views of auDA.

AUSREGISTRY

DEPARTMENT OF BROADBAND, COMMUNICATIONS AND THE DIGITAL ECONOMY

JOHNSON, Simon

KARABARDAK, Erhan

MANARITI, Joe

https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/board/
auDA Board
Board Meetings
Click here for Board meeting schedules and minutes.
Current Directors
Name and Class Term
Stuart Benjamin

Chair
Independent 14/11/2016 - 14/11/2017
Simon Johnson
Demand Class 28/11/2016 - 2018 AGM
Erhan Karabardak
Deputy Chair
Supply Class 28/11/2016 - 2018 AGM
Joe Manariti
(SWiM Communications) Supply Class 28/11/2016 - 2018 AGM
George Pongas
(AusRegistry)
Supply Class 30/11/2015 - 2017 AGM
Kartic Srinivasan
(Melbourne IT)
Supply Class 30/11/2015 - 2017 AGM
Tony Staley
Independent Appointed by the board under clause 18.2 of the auDA Constitution
30/06/2017
Grant Wiltshire
Demand Class 30/11/2015 - 2017 AGM
Dr. Michaella Richards
Demand Class 10/10/2016 - 2017 AGM
Leonie Walsh
Independent 10/10/2016 - 10/10/2018
Tim Connell
Demand Class 28/11/2016 - 2018 AGM

Board Committees

The Board has established the following standing committees:

• Finance & Audit - Kartic Srinivasan (Chair), Joe Manariti, Grant Wiltshire with Di Parker (Finance Manager, auDA) and Cameron Boardman (CEO, auDA)
  • Governance, Board Succession & Remuneration - Stuart Benjamin (Chair), Tony Staley, Simon Johnson, Erhan Karabardak, Joe Manariti with Cameron Boardman (CEO, auDA)
  • Strategic Risk - Simon Johnson (Chair), George Pongas, Kartic Srinivasan with Cameron Boardman (CEO, auDA)
Click here for more on Board Committees and the Board Committee Minutes archive.

Horshack

Top Contributor
I think they need to wrap this up quickly now. I'm sure there's many like me that are holding back on development until the future is clearer let alone wearing the cost of renewing some domains that could be possibly rendered worthless depending on how it is structured.

Joel

Top Contributor
Apologies helloworld, I misread your post. When .au is available to the masses is anyone's guess...
In my opinion, its introduction into general availability is inevitable, just a matter of when.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
this does not meet the criteria of csiro, it could simply be a domain name on that extension eg: it could very well be http://www.www.gov.au
www.com.au is owned by optus
tim
Yes it does. That domain I linked to is literally gov.au. Click on the link (https://www.gov.au) and have a closer look in your browser address bar. You could also just navigate to 'https://gov.au' and it will get you there.
It's also listed in the same section on the auDA page that Joel linked to above ;)

helloworld

Top Contributor
Apologies helloworld, I misread your post. When .au is available to the masses is anyone's guess...
In my opinion, its introduction into general availability is inevitable, just a matter of when.
No that makes sense. I thought they'd use a .gov.au

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Are auDA and and auDA Board plus some "supply" members going to recognise the failed results of .uk and .nz or continue the false and misleading lie they have been "overwhelmingly successful" and thus the proposed .au will be also equally as successful. This means the proposed extra .au will actually fail also.

2015 /2016 Worst year ever for New Zealand domain name registrations and renewals. 1 year after direct .nz came in.

https://www.dnc.org.nz/sites/default/files/2016-08/Domain Name Commission - Annual Report - .pdf

“The dip between February and March 2016 reflects the one-year anniversary of the end of the preferential registration and registration period – an important part of the registrations direct at the second level change. It appears that some registrants, having exercised their preferential registration rights, have subsequently let the shorter version of their name drop.”

Horshack

Top Contributor
Are auDA and and auDA Board plus some "supply" members going to recognise the failed results of .uk and .nz or continue the false and misleading lie they have been "overwhelmingly successful" and thus the proposed .au will be also equally as successful. This means the proposed extra .au will actually fail also.

2015 /2016 Worst year ever for New Zealand domain name registrations and renewals. 1 year after direct .nz came in.

https://www.dnc.org.nz/sites/default/files/2016-08/Domain Name Commission - Annual Report - .pdf

“The dip between February and March 2016 reflects the one-year anniversary of the end of the preferential registration and registration period – an important part of the registrations direct at the second level change. It appears that some registrants, having exercised their preferential registration rights, have subsequently let the shorter version of their name drop.”
The report that you are looking at is from last year! The date when the shorter nz reserved names needed to be registered by was extended to the 30th March so you'll need to wait a little longer before commenting on success or failure. Similarly you will need to wait until 2019 to comment on .uk.

neddy

Top Contributor
If you want a taste of what's to come in Australia with regards direct registrations, our Kiwi cousins have gone before us. Tomorrow is pay the registrar / regulator time. I've written about it on Domainer today if anyone is interested.

What an unnecessary impost on registrants - particularly for such a small market.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member