What's new

Direct .au contested names

jamesau

If you are at Drop/Netfleet/DomainShield/Above the recommendation is to get your .au applications in by this Friday.

Each registrar has to pre-fund Afilias, you need to estimate how much needs to be sent in advance, so if there is a last minute rush that is greater than the numbers anticipated there could be delays in completing orders as more funds might need to be urgently wired.

For example having 100k domains under management if 75% of them apply for .au that is around $650,000 that needs to be wired to Afilias in advance. So the sooner a registrar knows what % will be ordered the sooner they can have the appropriate funds ready.

Not your fault but I have huge regrets about submitting my applications over the weekend. Losing hundreds of dollars now in failed applications due to Cat 1 applicants coming in.

Waiting until today would have been the right decision and it's up to your registrar to sort out the admin.

Erwin

Top Contributor
What is the best action plan if we have a cat2 domain and the cat1 has not applied if it’s an single domain I’d place it in today! The best action plan was to wait until this timeframe until 9.59am tomorrow
It’s probably best to place your interest now to be honest, I’d not risk potentially being not be able to submit your interest with your registrar from now on.

trellian

Top Contributor
Not your fault but I have huge regrets about submitting my applications over the weekend. Losing hundreds of dollars now in failed applications due to Cat 1 applicants coming in.

Waiting until today would have been the right decision and it's up to your registrar to sort out the admin.
Hi James,

For CAT 1 get orders in early, for CAT 2 especially if there is a CAT 1, definitely wait till last minute, but as always you run the risk of systems that might fail last minute, so it is a trade off.

Our plan is to lobby auDA to offer refunds of any Category 2 applicants that was later supplanted by a CAT 1 applications as we find that both unfair and unethical for auDA to profit from this as they did not provide any value for a CAT 2 holder and the only reason there is even a CAT 2 status is because auDA took way too long to bring .au out. They take their time and then try to profit it from not providing any value is not fair at all.

Erwin

Top Contributor
On the eve of the eligibility criteria I just want to wish everyone the best of luck in obtaining the direct .au if you’re eligible..
Please don’t delay in obtaining your direct .au if you’re eligible; don’t wait until (last minute) tomorrow,

trellian

Top Contributor
1 hour to go, our team is frantically helping clients secure their rights still and are likely to be flat out till 9:59 am. If you experience issues from here on, we will try to do our best...

The auDA token retrieval tool was disabled around 7pm last night but applications are still going till 9:59am today

Last edited:

jamesau

1 hour to go, our team is frantically helping clients secure their rights still and are likely to be flat out till 9:59 am. If you experience issues from here on, we will try to do our best...

The auDA token retrieval tool was disabled around 7pm last night but applications are still going till 9:59am today
I managed to get a token for a name I missed around 10pm?

Excited to see what happens in ~30 mins.

Erwin

Top Contributor
I could just imagine the registrars atm.
they’d be inundated with queries..
I know because I tried contacting one of them just a few hours ago.. waiting time, just under an hour..

Horshack

Top Contributor
The results from the priority tool are a bit messy if a domain name has already been allocated because the results don't tell you that the domain has been allocated. All you see is this message: The domain name ______ has no contention. Priority category 1 and 2 names with no applications will become available for registration on 21:00 UTC 3 Oct 2022 (8:00AM AEDT 4 Oct). Even though I know this domain name has already been allocated from Category 2. Other results show the Category 1 registrant so will have to wait and see the final available list.

Erwin

Top Contributor
Some of you who have applied for uncontested direct .au would have received their names today. Congratulations 🎉 to you..
I was very surprised a few strong generic one word names landed in my account. I might have a cheeky glass of bubbles to celebrate..

trellian

Top Contributor
Some of you who have applied for uncontested direct .au would have received their names today. Congratulations 🎉 to you..
I was very surprised a few strong generic one word names landed in my account. I might have a cheeky glass of bubbles to celebrate..
Congrats, the overall number of applications were far lower than we expected, so there will be even more great names dropping on 4 Oct

Erwin

Top Contributor
Congrats, the overall number of applications were far lower than we expected, so there will be even more great names dropping on 4 Oct
Thanks 😊

I was surprised also.. I will definitely be trying my luck in obtaining a few come October 4.
Will you be providing a list of those names for the drop.com:au platform auction soon?

Erwin

Top Contributor
Interested to see what kind of type-in traffic these get.
Initially almost zero, but you might inspect that to increase over the next few years, moreso with premium one word direct .au names being in use, traffic leakage to .com.au will likely happen..

trellian

Top Contributor
Initially almost zero, but you might inspect that to increase over the next few years, moreso with premium one word direct .au names being in use, traffic leakage to .com.au will likely happen..
There were already many .au names registered that looked like that they had traffic, and from what I can see via Above.com stats, many get decent traffic and even better than expected parking revenues. So clearly .au was already being typed in.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Several of my domains are contested. What is the process from here? I have not heard from TPP regarding this

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo