What's new

Direct .au contested names

Erwin

Top Contributor
Just wondering what strategies are in place for those having category 1 priority access to names. Will most people wait until the last minute, or do you think that most others (not into domaining) will simply not bother at this stage to register their interest in their .au equivalent.

trellian

Top Contributor
Domainers = last minute
End users = a small % will still claim, but bulk will not
End users via reseller or corporate services managing domains = last minute
Edu = not many more will claim from here on
Gov = last minute (from industry chats many if not most will claim their tokens) If they do that will be one huge and totally unnecessary Tax Payer Funded expense that will create soo much confusion for all Australians who will not know if this any .au site is an official Government site or not.
Whereas any site on gov.au is clear and offers no room for confusion if it is official or not... having .au as an official Government site is just BAD and needs to be discouraged from happening!)

Reactions: Tom

Erwin

Top Contributor
I’d imagine things to be chaotic at the last minute at the registrar level. Some names I have applied a token for already in the hopes of speeding up negotiations..

Agreed that Government entities should stay clear of au direct, and can not believe auDA allowed this to occur..

Erwin

Top Contributor
I have a question regarding to claiming tokens
Assuming the direct .au domain name remains in contention after September 20, apart from having to renew your token each year to remain in contention, is it necessary to renew the actual domain each year originally tied to the token in order to eventually obtain the direct .au domain? I hope I’m making sense here 😆

Joel

Top Contributor
I have a question regarding to claiming tokens
Assuming the direct .au domain name remains in contention after September 20, apart from having to renew your token each year to remain in contention, is it necessary to renew the actual domain each year originally tied to the token in order to eventually obtain the direct .au domain? I hope I’m making sense here 😆
The way I read it in section 1.9.11 (b) of the implementation rules (https://www.auda.org.au/policy/auda-rules-au-direct-priority-implementation), you will need to retain the underlying eligibility:
1.9.11 A Person’s application for Priority Status of a domain name in the .au namespace will automatically lapse where:
(a) the Person fails to pay the annual application renewal fee; or
(b) the Person no longer satisfies the eligibility and allocation criteria within the .auDA Published Policies for the Eligible licence or
(c) the Person is no longer eligible for a licence in the .au direct (within the meaning of Rule 2.4.3 of the .auDA Licensing Rules).

trellian

Top Contributor
Thanks Joel,

We will check with auDA if that is indeed the case as I know that there are no system in place that actually checks if the original domain is still registered once a token has been applied for. So it might be that it should but will not actually do anything unless someone makes a complaint.

Erwin

Top Contributor
Thanks Joel,

We will check with auDA if that is indeed the case as I know that there are no system in place that actually checks if the original domain is still registered once a token has been applied for. So it might be that it should but will not actually do anything unless someone makes a complaint.
Thanks for checking this 😊

Horshack

Top Contributor
As far as strategy goes, I wouldn't leave it until the last day to try to apply for your corresponding .au domains because I've been trying for 2 days to register a few and for some reason I'm having dramas.

Erwin

Top Contributor
If opening day was any indication, I’d have to agree. It’ll be mayhem towards the end in regards to placing your interest

trellian

Top Contributor
If you are at Drop/Netfleet/DomainShield/Above the recommendation is to get your .au applications in by this Friday.

Each registrar has to pre-fund Afilias, you need to estimate how much needs to be sent in advance, so if there is a last minute rush that is greater than the numbers anticipated there could be delays in completing orders as more funds might need to be urgently wired.

For example having 100k domains under management if 75% of them apply for .au that is around $650,000 that needs to be wired to Afilias in advance. So the sooner a registrar knows what % will be ordered the sooner they can have the appropriate funds ready.

Erwin

Top Contributor
Times running out to claim if you have cat1 rights, especially people here who hold a large portfolio of names..

trellian

Top Contributor
The Drop team has been working through the weekend helping our portfolio owners apply for their .au if anyone has still not done so, please make sure to reach out to our team.

Erwin

Top Contributor
There are some names I have rights to that I have applied for but still not by other rights holders.. these are awesome names.. I wonder how many will just forget to reg today and kick themselves tomorrow morning.

cosmo

Hey all - new here.

Looking for some advice on securing my .au domain. I own the .com.au and have had my application in for months... the .net.au owner has just contested the .au.
They dont have a website or anything like that on their .net.au.

How would you valuate an offer for them to remove their .net.au application?

Thanks all - much appreciated

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Hey all - new here.

Looking for some advice on securing my .au domain. I own the .com.au and have had my application in for months... the .net.au owner has just contested the .au.
They dont have a website or anything like that on their .net.au.

How would you valuate an offer for them to remove their .net.au application?

Thanks all - much appreciated

Just chill out and see what happens. It's very early days.

If they don't have a .net.au website then there's probably a good chance they won't have a .au site either.

If you're not going to use the .au then just keep paying for the annual fee to keep them from getting it too.

Blocking the other party has the same effect as owning it (if you're not intending putting a website on it).

And you don't have to pay them off.

Erwin

Top Contributor
I hope you everyone knows it’s the last day to claim your name in Cat1..
If you’re eligible I’d strongly recommend you claim and protect your name..

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member