What's new

Australian Domain Name Hierarchy

Shane

Top Contributor
Consumers will deal with the change okay.

Remember websites used to always be advertised with the http:// at the front? These days most advertisers don't even bother with the www. In fact many advertisers don't bother with the domain at all, and just say "search example".

Going back years ago I remember telling people to check out a website and I'd say "go to example.com.au" and they'd say " do I need to put the http thing in?"

Obviously the change in removing the .com is completely different from a technical perspective, but for most consumers who have zero care about how a URL is structured, ditching the .com shouldn't pose too much of an issue.

Furthermore, even now when I'm showing my staff something on the computer and tell them to go to our website, they will always search our business name in Google rather than typing in the domain. That makes the com.au / .au argument somewhat irrelevant for many...

snoopy

Top Contributor
Consumers will deal with the change okay.

Obviously the change in removing the .com is completely different from a technical perspective, but for most consumers who have zero care about how a URL is structured, ditching the .com shouldn't pose too much of an issue.

Furthermore, even now when I'm showing my staff something on the computer and tell them to go to our website, they will always search our business name in Google rather than typing in the domain. That makes the com.au / .au argument somewhat irrelevant for many...

Consumers can deal with that because it didn't matter if they used www. or not, or http://, it is all the one domain. However if they get told domain.au some are going to end up at the wrong site.

Regarding people using Google, if that is the case then they might as well use a .xyz or even an IP address. The reason why business don't is because the ability for people to be able to be able to remember a domain does count.

Lastly how do you know that "they will always search our business name in Google rather than typing in the domain", do you have no blank refers in your stats? if so I'd love to see them. I think this would only apply to a business with an almost impossible name to type in.

Horshack

Top Contributor
I don't think it will make any difference either. I question how strong .au actually is at present. It would be interesting to know how many of those 3 million plus .au domain registrations actually point to a proper business website with content about the business without being redirected. I'm guessing it might be only 10-20% or even less.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I don't think it will make any difference either. I question how strong .au actually is at present. It would be interesting to know how many of those 3 million plus .au domain registrations actually point to a proper business website with content about the business without being redirected. I'm guessing it might be only 10-20% or even less.

The majority of businesses use .com.au, I think says it all. It doesn't matter what % of registrations are used because most domain won't be used in any extension, blame you and me domain speculators for that, and everyone else here.

I think this is very different to others parts of the world where there is often several extensions in common use., e.g. .com.cn, .cn and .com in China. They've got a weak namespace because there is no clear standard.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
I'm finding it hilarious that suddenly Snoopy gives a damn about .com.au

Talk it down when convenient.

Talk it up when convenient.

Last edited:

Rhythm

Top Contributor
I think this is very different to others parts of the world where there is often several extensions in common use., e.g. .com.cn, .cn and .com in China. They've got a weak namespace because there is no clear standard.

What do you mean by "weak namespace"?

Rhythm

Top Contributor
Consumers can deal with that because it didn't matter if they used www. or not, or http://, it is all the one domain.

Wrong. Unless you have configured site correctly typing a www.keyword.com.au will not lead to keyword.com.au.

However if they get told domain.au some are going to end up at the wrong site.

So? That's marketings problem (advertising), the customers problem (memory) and search algorithm problem (code).

Not auDA's problem.

Lastly how do you know that "they will always search our business name in Google rather than typing in the domain", do you have no blank refers in your stats? if so I'd love to see them. I think this would only apply to a business with an almost impossible name to type in.

Typeins are a myth in .au unless it's a typo or ex-site or a very powerful keyword.com.au or .net.au

Shane

Top Contributor
Regarding people using Google, if that is the case then they might as well use a .xyz or even an IP address. The reason why business don't is because the ability for people to be able to be able to remember a domain does count.

You're preaching to the converted. What I was highlighting is the fact that many TV ads now refer to search rather than a domain, and I think there's a good reason for that.

If I'm going to realestate.com.au for example, I just type realestate and hit enter, then click on the first result. It's quicker than typing another 7 characters on the end. I'm sure I'm not alone, and that means whether they used realestate.com, realestate.com.au, realestate.au or any other extension is somewhat irrelevant.

I wouldn't have said that five years ago, but the way people navigate to websites is changing.

Re-read my post and you'll see why I always know. :)

snoopy

Top Contributor
You're preaching to the converted. What I was highlighting is the fact that many TV ads now refer to search rather than a domain, and I think there's a good reason for that.

Which ads are they, I haven't seen too many. I'm not say nobody does this, but it is not the norm.

Shane

Top Contributor
If you were head of marketing for either of Australia's two biggest online brands, which logo would you prefer to able to use?

I'd be going for the shorter domain every time.

EDIT: This post is not directed at Snoopy - just a general question to everyone.

Shane

Top Contributor
Which ads are they, I haven't seen too many. I'm not say nobody does this, but it is not the norm.

I don't take note of which ads, I just know I hear it a lot. It feels like I hear the phrase "search" more often than I hear "dot com dot au".

snoopy

Top Contributor
Typeins are a myth in .au unless it's a typo or ex-site or a very powerful keyword.com.au or .net.au

Do we really have to have a debate on whether anyone types in web address? Might as well debate whether the prime minister is alive.

Sometimes people use google, sometimes people type in a web address. When someone types in dntrade.com.au to get to the site it is a type in. If people believe nobody types in a web address unless it is a "powerful .com.au" they probably should just take a look at their own google analytics account.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I don't take note of which ads, I just know I hear it a lot. It feels like I hear the phrase "search" more often than I hear "dot com dot au".

I think you should do some proper analysis on it if you are going to make this claim.

findtim

Top Contributor
its not about the change shane, its about how it is planned to be done.
i got a letter today from optus, notifying me that they are going to change my phone plan, they are reducing my fees and increasing my usage allowance, it has a date of change, a phone number to call if i have any questions, a link to the website page explaining it.
and also a statement that i don't have to change.
that is how you conduct business, with communication to ALL parties involved.
but obviously no body is going to be allowed to have my phone number

tim

Shane

Top Contributor
its not about the change shane, its about how it is planned to be done.

Agreed. I'm all for the change, but yeah I guess there is a fear that they botch the implementation and new domains end up in the wrong hands.

As long as existing com.au owners get first rights to the new domain, I'm happy.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
So most here:

don't want .au (to happen)
don't want to pay for .au if it does happen
consider .au to be a third-rate extension
despise the existence of .net.au's
think .com.au reigns supreme

So based on the above I think auDA can give the .au to .net.au owners at no cost and everybody's happy.

You don't pay extra for a domain that you don't want that you don't think will make a difference.

Everybody wins.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members