What's new

auDA Board Elections

L-Jarrett

Hi all,

Sorry about the radio silence, I've been out of action with the flu for the last week.

My views on the proposed amendments to the auDA constitution are:

1. Life Members: Against.
It is fairly common for non-profit organisations to allow for the appointment of life members, who have contributed significantly to the "mission" of the organisation. I'm not convinced that there is a real need for life members of auDA, and more discussion may be required – for instance, whether the Board has any particular people or types of people in mind for the appointment? Further, from a legal perspective I do not consider that the amendments are sufficient – ordinarily there would also be provisions relating to cessation of membership as a Life Member in certain circumstances. Therefore, any amendment to introduce life members should be redrafted.

2. Removal for non-payment: Against.
It is of course necessary to have a procedure for removal of members who have failed to pay their membership fees. However, a total period of 2 months of non-payment seems unduly onerous – there are a lot of reasons in practice why payment can get delayed unintentionally, especially in big organisations. In the scheme of things, I do not see a great advantage to auDA, but there are potential detriments to members. I would support giving notice after 2 months and giving a further 2 months to rectify.

3. Housekeeping: For.
I am supportive of removing redundant provisions and updating the constitution to reflect current legislation. They are sensible amendments from a legal perspective.

I see that other candidate questions have been posted and I will respond over the next few days.

Thanks
Lisa

neddy

Top Contributor
4127 Views!

Wow!

This thread has had 4127 views since it was started on the 22nd August.

Lot's of people interested in the auDA elections. ;)

Plevins

Paul Levins - continuing the discussion

So I've nominated because I think I have skills and experience to make a contribution on the board.

I worked for 4.5 years as the Executive officer and VP at ICANN. I lived initially in Los Angeles and worked at the head office and then lived in Washington DC where I set up the ICANN office there, arguing for the ending of the Joint Project Agreement and being one of the writers of the Affirmation of Commitments - a new device to keep ICANN accountable and more transparent. I also ran their global meetings, was the spokesperson and ran the the corporate affairs function reporting to the CEO and dealing with the 21 member international board. Before that I was variously, a senior executive at two major infrastructure companies, a senior exec at Telstra and was a chief of Staff for state and federal ministers in a range of portfolios. I've also been a board member on two national infrastructure industry groups (the infrastructure partnerships and the Urban taskforce). Finally I've done volunteer work for the St Vincent de Paul and was on the NSW State board of Vinnies and have run my own consultancy. Presently I head up the Australian and New Zealand office of Intellectual Ventures, a Seattle based company invests in high tech invention.

But I also really believe that this work is very important - it's not some arcane entity that deals with a highly technical part of the Internet. It's decisions and the decisions of the administration affect people's livelihoods and their identities. This point was really driven home to me when I had to manage the collapse of RegisterFly - a US based registrar. The contempt with which they treated domainers and registrants was appalling. It destroyed businesses and placed almost intolerable stress on people. You can see one of the public blog posts I made about this at: http://blog.icann.org/2007/03/kevin-stop-the-nonsense-take-the-logo-down-and-give-us-the-data/

Don't get me wrong - I'm NOT in suggesting that auDA is in any way like Registerfly! I'm simply saying that domain names and the policy around them affect people deeply - businesses, revenue, personal identity. And I don't think you can ever have enough people on the Board advocating that position.

And I'd be crazy if I didn't recognise on this forum the importance of domainers, the validity and importance of those business and the responsible way in which they conduct themselves.

So I've built over the years a level of passion about the topic that frankly I didn't think I would have if you'd asked me 10 years ago!

In addition to my experience in and around the domain name system, I'm also a registrant so I know how much of my online identity and my work is tied up in my domain. Incidentally you can find my site at paullevins.com

Finally I believe accessibility is crucial. You can email me at paul@levins.net

Feel free to contact me via that or ask questions on this thread.

What else?....Ive got two kids and a long-suffering wife :D and I live in Sydney.

Anyway thanks again and thanks Ned for inviting me on!

Paul

DomainNames

Top Contributor
So I've nominated because I think I have skills and experience to make a contribution on the board.

I worked for 4.5 years as the Executive officer and VP at ICANN. I lived initially in Los Angeles and worked at the head office and then lived in Washington DC where I set up the ICANN office there, arguing for the ending of the Joint Project Agreement and being one of the writers of the Affirmation of Commitments - a new device to keep ICANN accountable and more transparent. I also ran their global meetings, was the spokesperson and ran the the corporate affairs function reporting to the CEO and dealing with the 21 member international board. Before that I was variously, a senior executive at two major infrastructure companies, a senior exec at Telstra and was a chief of Staff for state and federal ministers in a range of portfolios. I've also been a board member on two national infrastructure industry groups (the infrastructure partnerships and the Urban taskforce). Finally I've done volunteer work for the St Vincent de Paul and was on the NSW State board of Vinnies and have run my own consultancy. Presently I head up the Australian and New Zealand office of Intellectual Ventures, a Seattle based company invests in high tech invention.

But I also really believe that this work is very important - it's not some arcane entity that deals with a highly technical part of the Internet. It's decisions and the decisions of the administration affect people's livelihoods and their identities. This point was really driven home to me when I had to manage the collapse of RegisterFly - a US based registrar. The contempt with which they treated domainers and registrants was appalling. It destroyed businesses and placed almost intolerable stress on people. You can see one of the public blog posts I made about this at: http://blog.icann.org/2007/03/kevin-stop-the-nonsense-take-the-logo-down-and-give-us-the-data/

Don't get me wrong - I'm NOT in suggesting that auDA is in any way like Registerfly! I'm simply saying that domain names and the policy around them affect people deeply - businesses, revenue, personal identity. And I don't think you can ever have enough people on the Board advocating that position.

And I'd be crazy if I didn't recognise on this forum the importance of domainers, the validity and importance of those business and the responsible way in which they conduct themselves.

So I've built over the years a level of passion about the topic that frankly I didn't think I would have if you'd asked me 10 years ago!

In addition to my experience in and around the domain name system, I'm also a registrant so I know how much of my online identity and my work is tied up in my domain. Incidentally you can find my site at paullevins.com

Finally I believe accessibility is crucial. You can email me at paul@levins.net

Feel free to contact me via that or ask questions on this thread.

What else?....Ive got two kids and a long-suffering wife :D and I live in Sydney.

Anyway thanks again and thanks Ned for inviting me on!

Paul

Some good points here Paul. You have some great experience . What problems issues have you voted on in your roles that would benefit domainers in Australia?

In your opinion what changes are needed at AUDA and in Australian domain name policy? Why?

Will we be seeing you active in other areas the board. Did you know of this forum before Neds invite? Your opinion and posts could really benefit all here so please do post more and look around other topics adding your ideas and opinions.

Great to have you here

Plevins

Thanks for the welcome - I'll definitely fish around here. I think I do recall the forum before Ned's invitation. Ive seen up close how registries/registrars operate globally and so I think that experience is of benefit. Accountability, communication, and responsiveness to all stakeholders is crucial. I also think there needs to be a very clear understanding of governance issues - what board's do and what the admin does. I think the opening of gTLDs and IDNs is a huge opportunity for Australian domainers and businesses.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Thanks for the welcome - I'll definitely fish around here. I think I do recall the forum before Ned's invitation. Ive seen up close how registries/registrars operate globally and so I think that experience is of benefit. Accountability, communication, and responsiveness to all stakeholders is crucial. I also think there needs to be a very clear understanding of governance issues - what board's do and what the admin does. I think the opening of gTLDs and IDNs is a huge opportunity for Australian domainers and businesses.

Hope you disagree with some who want to release another .au extension. This would kill and confuse the .com.au, .net.au industry and end users. There is no need for it so it needs to be taken off any auda or registrar plans. Only AUDA itself, registrars, AUDRP and some lawyers would benefit from it as a making making opportunity for themselves.

Last edited:

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
DomainNames,

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you don't know what you are talking about.

If you are referring to another .au extension as registrations at the second level will confuse people - where is your evidence? Oh, I forgot, you have none.

Where is my evidence? Looking at ccTLDs around the world - they have not had problems. Unless of course you think Australians are quite stupid.

As for your belief of who will benefit. Again. You don't know what you are talking about. I'm yet to find a registrar who is in favour. And if you structure sunrise and landrush periods and registration policies, it is possible to design a system that only benefits registrants, who, as has been shown in every ccTLD I'm aware of, have loved the idea of registrations at the second level.

So show me the evidence from other ccTLDs where your beliefs back up your arguments.

David

DomainNames

Top Contributor
DomainNames,

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you don't know what you are talking about.

If you are referring to another .au extension as registrations at the second level will confuse people - where is your evidence? Oh, I forgot, you have none.

Where is my evidence? Looking at ccTLDs around the world - they have not had problems. Unless of course you think Australians are quite stupid.

As for your belief of who will benefit. Again. You don't know what you are talking about. I'm yet to find a registrar who is in favour. And if you structure sunrise and landrush periods and registration policies, it is possible to design a system that only benefits registrants, who, as has been shown in every ccTLD I'm aware of, have loved the idea of registrations at the second level.

So show me the evidence from other ccTLDs where your beliefs back up your arguments.

David

David the question was directed to a candidate. Not you. You are no longer on the board or a candidate.

Continually pushing your wish for another .au extension could be posted in other forum areas if you wish and commented on there by forum members.

iejs

Wow!

This thread has had 4127 views since it was started on the 22nd August.

Lot's of people interested in the auDA elections. ;)

This has been a really great thread. Well done Ned for being so persistent and getting the debate going.

It'll be very interesting to see how the votes fall this year.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
DomainNames,

You made a public comment that has been proved to be wrong. I see no reason why I should not, and cannot, comment on it.

David

Honan

Top Contributor
My questions to the candidates :)

Do you support restrictions on domain monetisation? If yes, why? If no, will you work from within to have it abolished?

Should all Australian’s be allowed to register an .au domain name without the need for an ABN? i.e. Free market principles. If no, in simple terms, why not?
If yes, will you work from within to have it abolished? (Bearing in mind that .co.uk and .co.nz have no restrictions and their system works well).

Domain audits and complaints process. Please read this thread: http://www.dntrade.com.au/power-auda-t1524.html?t=1524&highlight=Glady .
Do you think auDA’s determination on this was fair? If yes, in simple terms, why? If no, will you work from within to have a better, fairer and inexpensive appeals process for domain name registrants?

Over regulation: Please read this thread as an example: http://www.dntrade.com.au/auda-board-elections-t3630.html?p=25265#post25265. Should domain owners be allowed to develop their domains without restrictions or oversight by auDA? If no, in simple terms, why not? If yes, will you work from within to have it abolished?
(Bearing in mind that .co.uk and .co.nz have no restrictions and their system works well).

What is your stance on allowing free Change of Registrant Transfers i.e. existing registrant period used for the new owner. (Same as .com and .co.nz rules).
In simple terms, are you “for” or “against”?

joshrowe

Top Contributor
I notice that none of the candidates have responded in the new thread yet...

I'm very keen to see your answers to the questions, as they're very relevant to most of us voters on DNtrade.

I'm here. Just been "side tracked" by my day job with an exciting eCommerce deal I'm closing out.

I have promised Ned that I'll jump on the forum tonight when I get home and respond to the questions he posted.

Josh

neddy

Top Contributor
Thankyou sincerely to Erhan Karabardak and Lisa Jarrett for posting responses to the initial 5 questions we put to the candidates.

You can view them here: http://www.dntrade.com.au/candidate-questions-t3822.html

Hopefully other candidates will post as well ................. (It's almost voting time).

Ok, there is less than two weeks until proxy forms must be lodged for the election. They must be received by auDA's solicitors no later than 5pm
on Thursday 13 October 2011. The form can't be emailed - it must either be faxed or posted.

If you haven't downloaded a form yet, here is the link again. Instructions are on it.

http://www.auda.org.au/pdf/2011proxyform.pdf

There have been many, many questions posted on this thread. I figured the best thing to do was try and condense an initial batch of 5 generic
questions so that we could have an idea which candidates may best represent domain owner's interests. http://www.dntrade.com.au/candidate-questions-t3822.html

Erhan, Simon and Lisa have responded, and I thank them for that. As for the other candidates, well I have tried to get them to post. But as they
say in the classics, "You can lead a horse to water etc ............." :)

joshrowe

Top Contributor
Erhan, Simon and Lisa have responded, and I thank them for that. As for the other candidates, well I have tried to get them to post. But as they

I have now responded, thank you for the leading Ned!

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Ok, there is less than two weeks until proxy forms must be lodged for the election. They must be received by auDA's solicitors no later than 5pm
on Thursday 13 October 2011. The form can't be emailed - it must either be faxed or posted.

If you haven't downloaded a form yet, here is the link again. Instructions are on it.

http://www.auda.org.au/pdf/2011proxyform.pdf

There have been many, many questions posted on this thread. I figured the best thing to do was try and condense an initial batch of 5 generic
questions so that we could have an idea which candidates may best represent domain owner's interests. http://www.dntrade.com.au/candidate-questions-t3822.html

Auda really needs a change when they only accept fax and post!!!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo