What's new

auDA Board Elections

neddy

Top Contributor
It is timely that there is debate about auDA's membership structures. There is a review into the governance of .au underway, which has the following terms of reference:

Westlake Consulting is undertaking the review, see: http://www.auda.org.au/news-archive/auda-07042011/

Josh, it mentions that Westlake will be consulting all "stakeholders".

Does this include "domainers" and/or multiple domain name owners (of which there are many)?

brettf

Auda Budgeted Directors costs for 2009/ 2010 where $300,000 . http://www.auda.org.au/pdf/auDA_Budget_Summary_09-10x.pdf

One of the problems with the public financials is there is really no granular details. For example - the 'travel budget' is just one line with no explanation or breakdown of the travel. For example the split between international and domestic etc. What class of travel is used on flights etc.

The directors line is a bit the same. I think you'll find that line is distributed something like:

50k x 4 - independent directors
8 x $750 x 6 (the sitting fee for the non-independents for the bi-monthly meetings)
The remainder on flights + accom to get directors to meetings

Does this include "domainers" and/or multiple domain name owners (of which there are many)?

Ned, yes this does include domainers - if it didn't, the process wouldn't have any credibility.

I spent about 2 hours with Westlake Consulting raising the concerns of our industry - there were many!!. The effectiveness of these types of processes depends on (a) the terms of reference; and (b) the courage or willingness of the board to implement the recommendations.

Lets see what comes of it

joshrowe

Top Contributor

I believe so, I'll double check for you to be sure though. (Erhan has answered this question - yes).

Did any people on this forum have contact with Westlake Consulting?

Also, there was an email sent from Jenelle Backman (auDA staff) to all auDA Members on May 26 seeking a response to an online survey as an input for the Review into Governance of .au.

Did any people on this forum respond to the online survey?

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I believe so, I'll double check for you to be sure though. (Erhan has answered this question - yes).

Did any people on this forum have contact with Westlake Consulting?

Also, there was an email sent from Jenelle Backman (auDA staff) to all auDA Members on May 26 seeking a response to an online survey as an input for the Review into Governance of .au.

Did any people on this forum respond to the online survey?

Yes responded to the online survey and I know many who did. None of us where contacted back. Just hope this is truly an "independant" process with all surveys counted etc

neddy

Top Contributor
Ned, yes this does include domainers - if it didn't, the process wouldn't have any credibility.

I spent about 2 hours with Westlake Consulting raising the concerns of our industry - there were many!!. The effectiveness of these types of processes depends on (a) the terms of reference; and (b) the courage or willingness of the board to implement the recommendations.

Lets see what comes of it

Do you know any "domainers" that were interviewed Erhan? I don't - and no one has mentioned it on DNT.

Yes responded to the online survey and I know many who did. None of us where contacted back. Just hope this is truly an "independant" process with all surveys counted etc

Ditto!

Do you know any "domainers" that were interviewed Erhan? I don't - and no one has mentioned it on DNT.

Ditto!

I don't know who else was interviewed as it was confidential, and Richard Westlake was very professional. I wouldn't be worried about him not knowing about domainers concerns, I spent hours telling him!! I raised many issues that many of our friends and colleagues have raised with me.

Lets see how effective this review will be once the report is released, and the auDA board discusses is.

joshrowe

Top Contributor
I don't know who else was interviewed as it was confidential, and Richard Westlake was very professional. I wouldn't be worried about him not knowing about domainers concerns, I spent hours telling him!! I raised many issues that many of our friends and colleagues have raised with me.

Lets see how effective this review will be once the report is released, and the auDA board discusses is.

Erhan, you may well be on the board which discusses the report.

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Candidates next time it might be an idea to put up a HOW TO VOTE card here. It seems some tecnicalities on the form if not filled in correctly will void the vote.

Do it the same as when people go to a voting station so people know exactly what to put for the person they want

neddy

Top Contributor
Election Day!

Today's the day. I bet there are a few nervous people out there - and not just the candidates either! ;)

It's going to be a close run thing - it will be interesting to see how the "establishment" votes get allocated.

Let's hope that today brings us at least one new person who will actively represent domainers interests on the auDA Board.

And should an existing Director / Directors get re-elected, all we can hope is that they take note of issues that affect our industry.

To everyone who contributed to this thread - and engaged in sometimes heated debate - I sincerely thank you.

Win or lose, I hope we see all candidates participating on DNT in the future. :)

Cheers, Ned (Admin)

I would like to give a whole hearted thanks to everyone in the domainer community and on DnTrade for their support during the campaign. It has been really encouraging to see the high level of support I received.

The resolution appointing life members was defeated!

I would like to run again and hope that you will support me next year.

The results announced by auDA were:
Lisa Jarrett 7 votes
Simon Johnson 41 votes
Erhan Karabardak 60 votes
Paul Levins 64 votes
Joshua Rowe 79 votes
Rosemary Sinclair 12 votes

I have some concerns with the fairness of the election process, which I will outline at an appropriate time.

Cheers
Erhan

joshrowe

Top Contributor
I have some concerns with the fairness of the election process, which I will outline at an appropriate time.

Erhan,

I am not sure what you mean by the statement above. However, if you have a legitimate concern then I encourage you to put it in writing to auDA so that it can be formally addressed.

Whilst you were unsuccessful in gaining a seat on the auDA board today, the work you have done to raise the profile of domaining has been successful and I think you should be given credit for that.

Josh

neddy

Top Contributor
As this sub-forum "auDA Board Elections" wraps up, it's interesting to note that it has been one of the most viewed in DN Trade's history.

This main thread has attracted over 7,000 views, and with the other 9 threads there have been just a touch under 10,000 views in total.

:)

joshrowe

Top Contributor
As this sub-forum "auDA Board Elections" wraps up, it's interesting to note that it has been one of the most viewed in DN Trade's history.

This main thread has attracted over 7,000 views, and with the other 9 threads there have been just a touch under 10,000 views in total.

:)

That is huge Ned, well done on getting everyone into the "room" and keeping the discussion going right up to the election.

Is the sub forum below the most appropriate to continue the discussion on auDA policy, engagement, etc ?

http://www.dntrade.com.au/auda-policy-and-news-f42.html

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members