What's new

auDA 2015 Names Policy Panel

neddy

Top Contributor
An online mate from the UK published this well researched article on .uk on its first anniversary. Worth a read imho.

“A STUDY OF FIRST YEAR.UK DOMAIN NAME REGISTRATION PATTERNS”

Some highlights from his summary:
  • “As of 3 June 2015, only 14.6% of the largest .co.uk websites have registered the matching .uk domain to which they were entitled. That’s less than one in six that have taken up the opportunity to do so. Looking at smaller websites, only 11% or less have registered the .uk reserved for them”.
  • “Looking at the wider market, the sum of Nominet’s monthly registration figures shows that 292,481 .uk domains were registered between launch date and the end of March 2015. However, their running total shows a slightly smaller number, 287,805, doubtless because of cancellations for non-payment or other issues. This figure of 287,805 represents just 2.8% of the 10,298,553 domains registered at the second level, or 2.7% of all domains under Nominet’s management. In other words, despite its importance, .uk remains an insignificant fraction of Nominet’s total pool of registrations”.
  • “On current trends, Nominet is likely to end up with around 1,300,000 .uk domains registered at the end of the first 5 years after launch. That would represent just 11.2% of the total number of domains under Nominet management (assuming that the number of registrations at the second level remains constant)”.

neddy

Top Contributor
Just wrote a blog piece "Submissions are in".

Obviously some people and organisations have their own agendas (as is their right). I've highlighted four of these.

The one that is not particularly friendly to "domainers / domain investors" is the Law Institute of Victoria. One of their suggestions is that:

auDA might also consider a registration cancellation mechanism if the .au domain is registered and then simply parked.

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks for the links
auDA might also consider a registration cancellation mechanism if the .au domain is registered and then simply parked.
that is such a silly suggestion and should be ignored, if the rightful owner of the potentially new .au is given it then the status quo will remain.
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor

That would be interesting because I suspect most registrars would be parking names until the customer changes the DNS. So maybe it would be like whack a mole where 90% of newly reges get deleted at the end of the day :)

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
That would be interesting because I suspect most registrars would be parking names until the customer changes the DNS. So maybe it would be like whack a mole where 90% of newly reges get deleted at the end of the day :)
Yep, you've illustrated one of the reasons why it's a ridiculous proposal!

neddy

Top Contributor
Couple of late submissions were accepted by auDA. They make interesting reading.

First one is from Roger Clarke who is a Director and Secretary of The Internet Society of Australia (though he stresses he writes in his personal capacity).

This is the main highlight of his submission:

1. Downsides of Direct Registration in .au

The proposal to permit direct registrations within .au represents a potential bonanza for get-rich-quick
merchants, but it would be:
(a) a thorn in the side of large numbers of established organisations, and
(b) a serious threat to the high standing of auDA.

Until now, auDA has not been perceived to be a money-grubbing monopolist, as ICANN is. Opening up
.au - or indeed creating unnecessary new 2TLDs within .au - would, in many people's eyes, significantly
reduce auDA's well-deserved reputation.

Second one is from "The edu.au Domain Administration Committee (eDAC)". It is very long winded!

They certainly have a few concerns.

robert

Top Contributor
Couple of late submissions were accepted by auDA. They make interesting reading.

First one is from Roger Clarke who is a Director and Secretary of The Internet Society of Australia (though he stresses he writes in his personal capacity).

This is the main highlight of his submission:

Second one is from "The edu.au Domain Administration Committee (eDAC)". It is very long winded!

They certainly have a few concerns.
I actually like Roger Clarke's response. Best I've heard yet.

findtim

Top Contributor
i've been told that auda have a RULE that means if you join auda NOW............ you have no voting rights in the next election.
how F'n convenient !
BUT you DO NOT have to be a member to have an opinion so do not let that stop you, you simply have to be a domain owner ( the the best of my knowledge )
------------------
you see to be a member of auDA and to have a vote, FIRST you need to know about this "secret society " which most people do not, then you have to join within their parameters which they do not publish except on their website WHICH you probably don't know about anyway, THEN they have rules that say you need to have joined something like 3 months earlier then their next scheduled meeting to APPROVE YOU, WTF, i need to be approved ?????????? and then that meeting will probably happen another 3 months after that which means you DO NOT get "approved" in time to vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmmmmmmmmmm, is anyone sensing some sort of conflict here ?

ONCE AGAIN, 3 million domain names and F all members, disgusting !!!!!!!!!!
and i am going to warn you all, i am going to HARP on this over and over and over and over again, where ever i can until something gets changed.

tim

petermeadit

Top Contributor
There is a further opportunity for people to be involved and have a positive voice in the broad discussion surrounding issues we face from an Australian perspective: http://www.igf.org.au/

IMHO it's a good idea for people to get involved in the processes available, and to make your voice heard this way, rather than trying to discredit the policy panel, auDA board and members.
All the information is in the public domain, and there have been calls for public responses to respond to the issues paper and also the draft recommendations.
http://www.auda.org.au/policies/panels-and-committees/2015-names-policy-panel/

Domain name holders come from all walks of life and all industry sectors, from all over Australia, from mums and dad's to corporate, and submissions have been open to all. The panel is a variety of representatives for a wide range of groups.

I took the initiative to apply for the policy panel in 2015 to bring to the table the concerns, and try to give a rational voice on the policy review for DNTrade members and domain name holders in general.

Although I do not agree with all of the draft recommendations given by the panel, I do have to acknowledge the transparent consultative process by which the draft recommendations where arrived at; via the process of public consultation and by responses to the issues paper.

Please remember, these are only draft recommendations. It is still up to the board to either accept or reject them. The board also decides how any recommendations are implemented, including any entitlements of current domain holders.

Not all people are pleased by the draft recommendations, nor can they be. However I would suggest using poorly chosen comments here on a public forum is not the way to effect change. But please note for the record, as a panel member myself, and also as a DNTrade member, I am personally quite appalled by some of these comments being posted here on DNTrade.

You may have also overlooked the other draft recommendations coming from the policy panel, including making changes to the current two year fixed registration period.

Knowledge is power guys! So do your research! To get your voices heard, first get an understanding of what auDA's role is ( http://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/ ) and also the rationale explained in the draft recommendations (read the section about the Panel’s rationale for proposal: http://www.auda.org.au/assets/pdf/2015npp-draft-recs.pdf )
Send a late written submission, if you feel you have something important to add. Be constructive.

I am a big supporter of DNTrade. However as you know I am no longer a DNTrade admin, and I have reduced my involvement with forum discussions due to the level of vitriol that is spurting forth.
I will not be replying to any further comments.

HTH

Best Regards,
Peter Mead

findtim

Top Contributor
public responses to respond to the issues paper
from mums and dad's to corporate
I am personally quite appalled by some of these comments being posted here on DNTrade.

oh come on peter, first auda only told members and had couple of half backed radio interviews with the odd press release that no " mum and dad" business would have known about.

i'm personally appalled at the way auda has gone about informing stakeholders about this "issues paper" , its a joke IMHO

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
My dad in Sydney knew about it.
And my doctor in QLD.
Before I did.
so i'm interested how they heard about it, is your dad one of those few people who still buy and READ a whole newspaper everyday ? my dad does, but he's in his 80's who doesn't own a domain name and he didn't mention anything to me, or was it a random minute on a random radio station in a random town that mentioned it ?

i can't see why some people are justifying the fact almost every domain name owner was not told, if they were told then you would end up with a completely different conversation from me and many others.

what was needed was " auda has sent an email notification to every domain owner explaining the potential policy change recommendations ".................. SIMPLE

tim

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
Peter, you have been remarkably retrained in your comments on this forum - I can understand your position.

Unfortunately other auDA 2015 Names Policy Panel members have been less restrained and their interactions with members of DnTrade have been antagonistic to say the least.

Their posts on this forum reflect badly on the panel and have created a level of mistrust and enmity in the domainer community that will be hard to dispel.

Lemon

Top Contributor
You may have also overlooked the other draft recommendations coming from the policy panel, including making changes to the current two year fixed registration period.

The 2010 Names Policy Panel recommended that the 2 year fixed policy should be changed. The board decided to hold a decision until the costs and technical issues were looked into. Doesn't seem to be any mention of it since then and seems to have been swept under the table.
http://auda.org.au/pdf/2010npp-final-report.pdf

Lemon

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members