What's new

auDA 2015 Names Policy Panel

petermeadit

Top Contributor
auDA 2015 Names Policy Panel Call for Nominations

auDA invites people with an interest in Australian (.au) domain name policy to nominate for the 2015 Names Policy Panel.

The purpose of the Panel is to:

review the policy framework underlying the allocation and use of domain names in the .au domain and
provide recommendations to the auDA board about what changes (if any) should be made to the policy framework.

Further info can be found here:
http://www.auda.org.au/policies/panels-and-committees/2015-names-policy-panel/

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Not something to be ignored. Important that if you have strong opinions either way your voice is heard:

The Panel will consider the following issues:

1. Should .au be opened up to direct registrations (eg. domainname.au)? If yes, should there be any policy rules, and if so what rules?[2]

2. Should the eligibility and allocation policy rules for asn.au, com.au, id.au, net.au and org.au be changed? If yes, what changes should be made?

Relevant auDA Published Policies:
•Domain Name Eligibility and Allocation Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs (2012-04)
•Guidelines on the Interpretation of Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs (2012-05)

3. Should the policy rules relating to the reserved list and misspellings be changed? If yes, what changes should be made?

Relevant auDA Published Policies:
•Reserved List Policy (2014-06)
•Prohibition on Misspellings Policy (2008-09)

This is the single most important policy review, in summary this Panel makes recommendations on whether rules for .au domain names should be changed.

I recommend that DnT members consider nominating to be part of the Panel.

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
This will require your time. If you are time constrained, then an alternative option could be to make a submission (when the Panel seeks feedback).

findtim

Top Contributor
This will require your time. If you are time constrained, then an alternative option could be to make a submission (when the Panel seeks feedback).

what amount of time would be normal to allocate for a panel like this?
how long would the process last?
would there be monthly? meetings, and where?

i think these questions are what others would like answered as well

tim

petermeadit

Top Contributor
I was accepted onto the auDA Policy Panel. I would like to ask DNTrade members for feedback on some of the topics that are currently being considered to be recommended to the auDA board of directors.
For obvious reasons the discussions on the Panel are confidential, however some topics do affect many in related Tech and IT industries.

I hope you will help me to get some idea of what members think of certain policy related topics.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I would like to ask DNTrade members for feedback on some of the topics that are currently being considered to be recommended to the auDA board of directors.
Fast-tracking Flippa's application to be an .com.au registrar...

;)

But in all seriousness, they are an Australian company and the sooner these guys can host/sell/COR AU domain names the better for AU domain holders given that NetFleet and Drop are no longer innovating.

A real bonus would be allowing people to be eligible to own an AU domain without needing an ABN - but I doubt they would agree to that.

neddy

Top Contributor
The 2015 NAMES POLICY PANEL has now released an Issues Paper, and is inviting public submissions.

http://www.auda.org.au/assets/pdf/2015npp-issues-paper.pdf

One of the key terms of reference is whether direct registrations at the second level should be permitted e.g. dntrade.au

This is potentially a huge change, so please have your say. You can do it one of two ways - send a written submission to auDA; or complete the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5XYL2WW

Importantly, the Panel is still at an early stage of its deliberations and has not yet reached a consensus view on the issues under consideration. There will be a second public consultation later in the year to fine tune suggested issues / proposals.

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks ned for that link and i actually did read it fully, ish
demonoid i also read yours and its a good read you put a lot of effort into it and overall very sound advice an opinions in my view.

my comments below i will be submitting, but for now an overview.
The approach taken should reflect the realities of the market, with .au reserved for the .com.au registrant in the first instance. If the term is not registered in .com.au, then the .au domain should be reserved for the .net.au registrant.

.com.au is the first preference for individuals and business entities and is the dominant 2LD in use in Australia by a significant margin, which is why it should be given first preference for reservation.
i think sums it up, very clear as opposed to the NZ system of:
“Conflicted status” means the domain name has been registered to different registrants in at least two second levels, and so the .nz equivalent will be unavailable for registration until the conflict isresolved. Parties are encouraged to resolve the conflict privately between themselves, or the .nz Domain Name Commission offers a free mediation service. There is no timeframe for conflict resolution; the domain name simply remains unavailable until the conflict is resolved.
(taken from the auda paper )
NO CLASH :
Domain names that were registered before 23.59hrs on 28 October 2013 have rights to the
equivalent new .uk domain, provided there was no other corresponding co.uk, org.uk, me.uk, ltd.uk,plc.uk or net.uk registered.Where there are two or more domain names that are the same, the co.uk will be offered the .uk equivalent. Where there is no co.uk, the org.uk will be offered the new .uk equivalent. Where there is no co.uk or org.uk, the me.uk will be offered the new .uk equivalent.

All co.uk domains registered after 28 October 2013 and before 10 June 2014 will also have rights to the .uk equivalent, as long as there is no ‘clash’ with any existing domains meeting the criteria above.
far to loose a term for me, it will end up in legals.

Other forms of evidence of demand that the Panel is looking at include the number of back-orders that registrars receive for different kinds of domains, as that is an indication of the number of people who want to register a name that is already taken and therefore might be willing to register that same name in a new space.
evidence? how is that evidence, and why would those people be allowed to register the .au in front of the .com.au owner? one thing that wasn't mention or i didn't see was DATES of registrations, cut off dates etc, i was surprised this hasn't been addressed from the start even if only a mythical date as an example. What i mean by this is that because we have a large drop catching culture a date could adversely affect any change if change is decided.
On the other hand, it has been suggested that much of the demand would be for defensive
registrations by existing registrants who feel compelled to protect their name – the Panel notes that currently, the majority of .uk direct registrations are held by the registrant of the matching co.uk
defensive, yes, FORCED to defend would be a better term
The Panel is aware that widespread defensive registrations would undermine the benefits of
introducing direct registrations – not only would it be costly and inconvenient for existing
registrants, and would also limit the availability of names to prospective new registrants.
COSTLY, yes, a huge financial burden on small business, the .com.au and the new .au need to be "married" as 1 fee.
The regulatory framework in .au may explain why defensive registration is not practiced widely by Australian registrants – eg. the majority of com.au registrants have not registered the matching net.au name, and to date there has been low take-up of .melbourne and .sydney names by registrants of .au names
what a load of crap, .net.au never took off and we all know that so get over it, .melbourne stuff that, unless you can pay for florist.melbourne then its a waste of money, timsplumbing.melbourne sucks.
One registrar who offers registrations in hundreds of different TLDs has
advised that the average number of domain names in their retail customer accounts is
approximately 1.6, suggesting that the majority of registrants do not defensively register their name in multiple spaces.
and i live in melbourne but do not put up crocodile fences in my backyard so why would i bother with a .net.au
4.7 Security and stability
this is bound to happen, just look at http://aunz.net/ , doesn't mean anyone is going to actually opt in.
what happens with com.com.au ?

----------------------

i love the way EVERYONE avoids the elephant in the room which demonoid pointed out, THE COST to businesses, its all being presented as "we will give you a few years to decide.......... we will not let anyone else register it.......... we will do nothing because eventually you are going to have to PAY US more money to have to domain extensions when really only 1 is needed "
--------- money grab ----------- and the only way to prove me and others wrong is to join the registrations " .com.au gets .au , no extra fees "
ONE big question i'd like to ask and that is , will a email/letter be sent to all 2.9 million domain name owners informing of a change, if there is a change, or will the average JOE have to find out himself ? somehow ? or just wake up one day and discover the guy down the road now owns his domain name shortened ?
bottom line for me if it needs to be done then go for it, but make sure no cost to present businesses.
tim

findtim

Top Contributor
yes i got the mail also ...... for the email address on my membership, however i didn't get it for the other email addresses i use for my clients owned domain names, which says 99.99% of domain name owners will not be informed about this unless private enterprise web hosts / designers etc pass the information along.
tim

neddy

Top Contributor
For those who may have not got all the way through the Issues Paper, Clause 5.3 is worth re-reading. There are only three paragraphs.

Some of the suggestions in there (if ultimately adopted) would have a substantial impact on drop-catching as we know it today.

What do you think?

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
For those who may have not got all the way through the Issues Paper, Clause 5.3 is worth re-reading. There are only three paragraphs.

Some of the suggestions in there (if ultimately adopted) would have a substantial impact on drop-catching as we know it today.

What do you think?
Well it rang alarm bells for me! I responded directly on those proposals in my submission.
Excerpt below:
Should the principles of ‘first come, first served’ and ‘no hierarchy of rights’ be retained?
COMMENT:
There is no need for change in this area. The fairest, most practical approach is ‘first come, first served’.

The markets, both locally and internationally, have long ago recognised that there is commercial value in domain names and this demand has been catered for with the development of products and services that facilitate the trade of commercially valuable domain names.

auDA should be focussed on setting the broader policy framework, not attempting to shift market forces towards some sort of ‘governed waiting list system’. Such a bureaucratic approach would be completely out of step with the marketplace realities, and simply adds another layer of complexity to the system. There is no sound basis for assuming that such a system would be any better than the perceived problems it aims to address.

The answer to awareness is education and promotion, not governance that aims to shift the tide of market forces.

An official alert system could be useful in some cases. Although, arguably some aspects of this are already provided through the auDA drop list and the alert systems provided by commercial operators, such as Drop.com.au and Netfleet.com.au.

findtim

Top Contributor
5.3 is a very good paragraph to read, but can be read in soooo many different ways.
5.3 ‘First come, first served’ and ‘no hierarchy of rights’ , but my opinion is no need to change anything except businesses making claims on backorders they really can't guarantee, exactly the same tactic as those domain name registration fakish email invoices.

we buy 2nd hand cars from dealers who bought them from government auctions, we buy vegetables from coles when we could have gone to the farm direct etc etc, the road from ipswich to toowoomba is a good example, heaps of "farm fresh produce" ..... spuds at 50cents a kg, but we still go and pay $3 at coles so really its a economic process of supply, demand, effort and potential loss/gain by the seller.
the drops are there and anyone can join, just like there are places you can go to be informed about liquidation sale auctions, SH*T its even on TV now.
would wait for it to drop from the registry and then “hand-register” (manually register) it through a registrar
well even back then it was about the fastest typist ! , so whats the difference?
disadvantage when trying to register expired domain names
there are a 1000 similar ways to buy things that we do not know about, funnily we probably have been told these by spam mail and deleted it, so drops is no different, its just wholesale/retail to me.
reserve or pre-register a domain name
this is the real scam that is laughable IMO, we have so many registras offering this service at a massive variable cost structure WHILST making claims that are totally unsubstantiated so the average JOE could easily be fooled into taking part, .............. but who cares HEY, we grab their $200 bucks, they get disappointing and BUT we have our terms and conditions all sorted so we can say bugger off and we never see them again but thats fine because there are plenty more fools out there AREN'T THERE !
then you go to the other end , where they make it part of the registration service......... what a scam, "just ? $7.95 " backorder, money for jam as you know they are NEVER going to get it unless its a crap name anyway, but having 1000's of people doing it makes it a good revenue earner.
provide an official alert system for people
a commercial registra can create that system easily as a service, the benefit would be the registra may get the registration, their timing on that information being given would be their choice.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
The answer to awareness is education and promotion, not governance that aims to shift the tide of market forces.
awareness: if a portion of every domain name sale goes to auda then changes to auda rules should be sent to EVERY domain name owner and this is not happening, it only gets sent to auda members, this IMO is absolutely silly and i have stated this many times on dnt + auda functions with auda employees and NEVER got an answer to why !
An official alert system could be useful in some cases. Although, arguably some aspects of this are already provided through the auDA drop list and the alert systems provided by commercial operators, such as Drop.com.au and Netfleet.com.au.
most domain name owners have never heard of auda and thats how auda like it.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member