What's new

37.com.au sells for $2

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Here is another question to consider,

Is this the type of name that people feel "should" have some decent value but that nobody will actually stump up much for?

(because they could be buying names with a clear use, potential enduser buyers etc).

Too many quality names dropping with a clear purpose at the moment

......later on for these types

snoopy

Top Contributor
was this the same buyer? Wasn't there a Chinese guy who was buying up numeric domains with some sort of secret masterplan? Paying 6-figures for NNN.com's etc?

They were all auctions (I think), I think the answer is no they weren't the same buyer. Haven't run through the whois though.

These were sold when the market was very weak, some people had been buying numeric domains with finance during the boom, not sure if this was the case here or not.

nina

Top Contributor
I agree with the sentiments of cheap - but I think maybe because it's a number whereas in some instances, a domain name that has the letters of something meaningful would be snapped up quicker.. having said that - I bought xd.com.au because I had a LONG business name - eXtra Dimensions design group and in the end we registered XD the company which doesn't really have any significance, except a bit of traffic (although that's dropped due to me neglecting things and diluting our business offererings) that's another red wine discussion.

If it was a prominent location / street address like a building and it was marketed that way, I think maybe it would have pushed the price up.

I have had to stop myself from looking at those dropped domains except every few days because I'm just going to go crazy thinking of all these ideas on how to set them up and I would just buy like some women buy shoes.. I don't have many shoes by the way!!

Nina Meiers

Max

Top Contributor
QUOTE=lurker:Yes, thanks, was surprised I picked it up for $2. Bit of a vanity domain, ...

I'll give you a tip on how you might .. i said "might" .. sell this domain 37.com.au for thousands of dollars ..

find the owners of the vehicle number plates in all Australian States Victoria, NSW, Qld, SA, TAS, WA, one of them or maybe all would offer good money for 37.com.au if they have the matching State number plate .. number 37 number plate would be worth around $100K+ in Vic and NSW the owners are collectors/investors and dealers of number plates many of them sell and trade them just as you do domain names 37.com.au is rarer than the number plate because of the multi State duplication of the plates .. there is only one 37.com.au

LL number plates are not worth any where near as much as NN plate

//Shannons are quoting a guiding range of $200,000-$280,000 for each of these plates, however there is every likelihood that these plates could eclipse that mark, as values are rising continually.
It has been some years since two double-digit plates have been offered together in Victoria, both by private sale or auction, and less than three months ago the black and white plate 47 sold for $322,000 at Shannons Melbourne Winter Auction.//

http://www.shannons.com.au/news?id=E9Z59QD3HZD9GAQB

http://www.mrplates.com.au/

http://www.aussieplates.com/

http://www.numberplatetrader.com.au/start.htm

Ash

Top Contributor
Interesting idea Max. You would think the owners of the 37 plates would be enthusiastic about the domain because it lends itself so well to showing off their prized possessions. I like it.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Interesting idea Max. You would think the owners of the 37 plates would be enthusiastic about the domain because it lends itself so well to showing off their prized possessions. I like it.

Gut feeling is they probably wouldn't care. There is a lot of similarities between owning numeric domains and number plates but I don't think their is going to be be crossovers between buyers. Put it around the other way, if you owned 37.com.au would you then want the number plate?

neddy

Top Contributor
Gut feeling is they probably wouldn't care. There is a lot of similarities between owning numeric domains and number plates but I don't think their is going to be be crossovers between buyers. Put it around the other way, if you owned 37.com.au would you then want the number plate?

Numerology and vanity / ego symbols are interesting subjects.

I can imagine there being instances of crossover. e.g.

1. You might live at 37 "Whatever" Street

2. You may have developed an apartment block at 37 "Whatever" Street - and it's hip to just call it "37".

3. You might be a sportsman / sportswoman that has that jumper / singlet number.

Probably lots of other things too. Just my opinion. ;)

snoopy

Top Contributor

2. You may have developed an apartment block at 37 "Whatever" Street - and it's hip to just call it "37".

3. You might be a sportsman / sportswoman that has that jumper / singlet number.

I would say no.2 is the only real commercial usage there, even then it would need to be a very significant development for someone to pay a premium for the name.

Looking back at past sales what have people actually bought numeric domains for? If they aren't buying to match number plates or because they live at number 37 street then why would that change?

Lucas

Top Contributor
I'll give you a tip on how you might .. i said "might" .. sell this domain 37.com.au for thousands of dollars ..

Thanks for the tip that is indeed a good idea! I will check it out. The only thing I wonder about is how you would find the current owners of the '37' rego plates, surely that is private information?

I have often wondered if it is possible to make customised plates of a CC.com.au domain. For example '37COMAU', would possibly be good free advertising for your business. I think numbers would lend themselves better to this than letters as 'IXCOMAU' might not be so immediately obvious (but still not bad).

snoopy

Top Contributor
I have often wondered if it is possible to make customised plates of a CC.com.au domain. For example '37COMAU', would possibly be good free advertising for your business. I think numbers would lend themselves better to this than letters as 'IXCOMAU' might not be so immediately obvious (but still not bad).

I think the letter/number limit is 6 digits even for custom plates?

Lucas

Top Contributor

I'm not so sure, I mean if people are prepared to pay mind boggling amounts like $322,000 just so they can have NN number plates I think these are also the sort of people that possibly wouldn't bat an eyelid throwing a few grand at the matching domain name even if they didn't really care that much about it (especially if you tell them it's a good long term investment)...

Lucas

Top Contributor

Thanks Neddy - I was also thinking along similar lines.

1 - A shop / boutique on 37 soandso st.
2 - When you search 37.com.au there are several businesses that come up with domains like thing37.com.au. I have thought before these people might be interested in the shorter version. But then I think if they are well established their current website, email addresses, stationery etc. would all be using the domain thing37.com.au so would be a huge effort to change everything just for a shorter domain name.

Lucas

Top Contributor
Although not relating to 2 character domains but 3 character .com domains there is an interesting website I first saw years ago that I just found again:

http://www.3character.com/priceguide.html

A few valuations I found interesting:

1 - NNN.com domains seem to be valued at US$9800 as opposed to LLL.com which are only valued at US$4500??

2 - L-L.com domains are valued higher than any other non NNN or LLL combination

snoopy

Top Contributor
Although not relating to 2 character domains but 3 character .com domains there is an interesting website I first saw years ago that I just found again:

http://www.3character.com/priceguide.html

A few valuations I found interesting:

1 - NNN.com domains seem to be valued at US$9800 as opposed to LLL.com which are only valued at US$4500??

2 - L-L.com domains are valued higher than any other non NNN or LLL combination

Note the data on that site has been out for several years (typically values are far too high). When most of these areas saw 60%+ value falls they didn't really adjust fully, and never have given accurate reports since.

Having said that nnn.com's generally are more valuable than lll.com (just as a blanket statement) and didn't do as badly in the slump. There is a lot of Chinese interest with nnn.com.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I'll give you a tip on how you might ...

Great idea - as you say numeric number plates are so expensive. Just shows that vanity is an important factor in certain product values. Nice lateral thinking in getting an end-user sale

Snoopy, the point people are making is that when you compare the two vanity purchases, it makes the domain look extremely good value.

Someone pays $300,000 to have 37 on their car would have to think that paying $3,000 to have a vanity email like fred@37.com.au is worth considering.

After all the domain actually has an actual use and benefit unlike the rego plate and presumably the number 37 means something to them

Put it around the other way, if you owned 37.com.au would you then want the number plate?

Well if you truly are putting it the other way round, then the question is actually:

if you bought 37.com.au for $300,000 would you then want the number plate for $3,000

To which the answer is probably yes.

Lucas

Top Contributor
Note the data on that site has been out for several years (typically values are far too high). When most of these areas saw 60%+ value falls they didn't really adjust fully, and never have given accurate reports since.

Having said that nnn.com's generally are more valuable than lll.com (just as a blanket statement) and didn't do as badly in the slump. There is a lot of Chinese interest with nnn.com.

Yeah, I was wondering how they got those valuations..

I find it interesting that nnn.com's are worth more than lll.com's in general though. That certainly doesn't seem to be the case with .au domains as far as I can tell.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I find it interesting that nnn.com's are worth more than lll.com's in general though. That certainly doesn't seem to be the case with .au domains as far as I can tell.

That might reflect the fact that numerics domains have no translation issues at all - they pretty much cross all borders. That's a great fit for a global extension like .com but not so much of an advantage for Australian-focussed .au... maybe?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoopy, the point people are making is that when you compare the two vanity purchases, it makes the domain look extremely good value.

Someone pays $300,000 to have 37 on their car would have to think that paying $3,000 to have a vanity email like fred@37.com.au is worth considering.

After all the domain actually has an actual use and benefit unlike the rego plate and presumably the number 37 means something to them

The license plate has a use, it is there to look good for much he same reason as someone might spend $500k on a car or $10,000 on a set of wheels. Having said that it has investment qualities as well.

For the people who spend a lot of number plates, I just don't think they'd care about domains, much like domain investors generally don't care much about number plates.

The other thing is there is no history of people buying domains to match number plates. I know domainers have talked about it in the past (especially when news breaks of a high prices number plate purchase) but it has always been a bit of a dream, not something that actually happens.

Well if you truly are putting it the other way round, then the question is actually:

if you bought 37.com.au for $300,000 would you then want the number plate for $3,000

To which the answer is probably yes.

-A number plate like 37 cannot be bought for $3000 in any of the states I have ever looked
-37.com.au sold for $2

So the scenario above makes no sense to me.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo